The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Oil changes (frequency)

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:50 AM
Reaction score
Just wondering what people are planning, I'll likely change every 6 months which should be good for 5k miles or so between changes.

Having only owned new bikes this new car world is 'new' to me. With my bikes I changed at first 500 miles then 1500 then was into every 6 months. Presume Ineos will advise the recommended steps. Are new engines bench run in??

Local time
Reaction score
I think timely oil changes are vital after run in period say 1000 miles then every 5 k or 6 months

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:50 AM
Reaction score
Just wondering what people are planning, I'll likely change every 6 months which should be good for 5k miles or so between changes.

Having only owned new bikes this new car world is 'new' to me. With my bikes I changed at first 500 miles then 1500 then was into every 6 months. Presume Ineos will advise the recommended steps. Are new engines bench run in??
I have a V7 Moto Guzzi and its engine oil replacement is 10,000 kms but it is separate from the gearbox oil, but most modern Oils in
vehicles these days are traveling a lot further between changes. My Peugeot 2019 3008 turbo diesel is once a year or 20,000 kms.
And of course, the first service after purchase is usually 1,000kms but not sure with the Grenadier.

Local time
Reaction score
I have a V7 Moto Guzzi and its engine oil replacement is 10,000 kms but it is separate from the gearbox oil, but most modern Oils in
vehicles these days are traveling a lot further between changes. My Peugeot 2019 3008 turbo diesel is once a year or 20,000 kms.
And of course, the first service after purchase is usually 1,000kms but not sure with the Grenadier.
20k km. Yes, that's great joke of many cars producers from my point of view XD

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:50 AM
Reaction score
🤔
I would go for 15.000 km and one year.
Can’t see the problem. I know that some decades ago the moving parts of a motor left some metal in the oil in the first 1500 km or so but those modern engines have very very small tolerances from beginning so they should work fine from the beginning.
I will drive the car only with 2/3 of the allowed revs for 1500 km and make sure that the oil is warm enough before accelerate strong. But that’s it

Local time
Reaction score
Is the warranty they give a great joke as well then?
Well if you want to scrap it after 200-300t km, go for that! B) of course you don't have to change transfer case oil too. It's a fluid to the life end then. Well, I'm not a mechanic. Ask them but not in dealer shop. Warranty 5 years or 100tkm etc.? :)

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My Audi book stated that it's auto transmission oil was "good for life". Call me old fashioned but I think that's nuts. Sure "life" time is subjective but I can't see oil being good for decades/100k's miles. So I changed it at 50k miles. Car very happy.

Would have thought another possible money maker from a dealership would be a better business model! But then presume most cars outside warranty go independent. But that leaves the fleet cars etc. Must come down to money somewhere!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:50 PM
Reaction score
My Audi book stated that it's auto transmission oil was "good for life". Call me old fashioned but I think that's nuts. Sure "life" time is subjective but I can't see oil being good for decades/100k's miles. So I changed it at 50k miles. Car very happy.

Would have thought another possible money maker from a dealership would be a better business model! But then presume most cars outside warranty go independent. But that leaves the fleet cars etc. Must come down to money somewhere!
Maybe the Audi's life is only 10 years.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:50 PM
Reaction score
I think timely oil changes are vital after run in period say 1000 miles then every 5 k or 6 months
My understanding is that modern engines don't need to be run in. The tolerances are very very good.
But I'm always happy to follow the mfrs guidelines and change oil more regularly - though not too regularly.
5-10k seems about right under most conditions.

Local time
Reaction score
My understanding is that modern engines don't need to be run in. The tolerances are very very good.
But I'm always happy to follow the mfrs guidelines and change oil more regularly - though not too regularly.
5-10k seems about right under most conditions.
Amy mechanical device needs running in modern machining tolerances are good but be kind to your engine and it will be kind to you.

Local time
Reaction score
If you check ZF tec docs their transmissions are not "sealed for life" iii you wade or get the oils hot they need changing more frequently oil is far cheaper than metal.
Manufacturers only speck long drain times to make lease/service cost look good to accountants and are prepared to take a few engine blow ups on the chin in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

internal

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The oil topic is always good for long threads (better than the parallel "winch or not" ;-) ).

And here, too, it depends on the circumstances, i.e. what does the manufacturer say and under what conditions is the vehicle used.

I have driven with my two VW T5 and the BMW with longlife (according to manufacturer's specification) oil change every 30Tkm (Ok, with the BMW was the oil change in each case after less than 6 months, because I drove at the time almost 70Tkm a year) . During my time in Tanzania, I also had an oil change every 5Tkm with the VW Amarok, taking into account the conditions there. There but also because the available oil quality seemed worse.

There are so many individual factors that play a role in the decision to make oil changes earlier than specified by the manufacturer.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you check ZF tec docs their transmissions are not "sealed for life" iii you wade or get the oils hot they need changing more frequently oil is far cheaper than metal.
Manufacturers only speck long drain times to make lease/service cost look good to accountants and are prepared to take a few engine blow ups on the chin in the grand scheme of things.
And let me guess, in your opinion the quality of cars is worse than it has been 30 years ago?

We have some cars in the company I work for and as far as I can overwiev it the quality of the engines is better than it has been in the past.
All cars have a 30 k oil change and we do not have any engine failitures due to the oil for a decade. And no, we do not lease the cars and give them away after three years but drive them up to 250 - 300k km.

Local time
Reaction score
And let me guess, in your opinion the quality of cars is worse than it has been 30 years ago?

We have some cars in the company I work for and as far as I can overwiev it the quality of the engines is better than it has been in the past.
All cars have a 30 k oil change and we do not have any engine failitures due to the oil for a decade. And no, we do not lease the cars and give them away after three years but drive them up to 250 - 300k km.
No I don't think the quality of the engineering is the same as 30 years ago far from it modern production machinery is fantastic(have some exp of it) I just think you need to look after your kit and it will look after you.

Oh and those dont belong to you nothing faster than a someone else's car

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry nothing faster than a hire car
Maybe I got you wrong on your first post in this line. The lifetime filling of the transmission is something I don’t believe in. And after rough treatment it should be looked after. The oil change of the motor every 30k km doesn’t seems odd to me as far as the conditions of driving including oil and diesel quality is fine. I just can’t see that the two years/30 k km service rules are made for the ones that pay the leasing bills. In my opinion the motors are good enough to cope this.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
About motor oil changes:

It all depends on the driving profile. If you drive to the bakery every morning and make no other trips, a completely different oil change interval is required than for long-distance trips of 500 km per day.

The intervals prescribed by the manufacturers are meant for the worst case scenario: short trips with mostly cold or half-warm engines, unfriendly drivers, mediocre oil quality and low-grade fuels.

My 190D (W201) engine was like new after 400,000 km. It burned no oil, had low fuel consumption and made no unhealthy noise. It still started without problems even at temperatures below -10 °C.

A long distance profile, 55 km to the office every morning and the same back in the evening. Vacation distances of 3000 km within 10 days. Only drawback: I was (and I'm still) a friendly driver and always drove carefully for the first 10 km, i.e. no high revs, no high load.

Oil change interval: 60,000 km. Zero problems.

If your engine comes up to operating temperature every time you use it, it's not a problem. If it doesn't, then it's the wrong car for the job.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
> The lifetime filling of the transmission is something I don’t believe in.

I agree.

And they do as well:

Back
Top Bottom