The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Not Starting, engine turning over

Gren17

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:27 PM
Reaction score
Similar issue with my Trialmaster, gave it 10 minutes, tried again and nothing. The car has been at the dealership for 6 days now and they seem to not know how to fix it. Got my car two weeks ago and its really frustrating. Anyone knows if somebody had the same issue?

dime80

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:27 AM
Reaction score
Ok update, switched off and locked up, walked away from vehicle for approx 10mins, came back and it started perfectly.
Look I love this car but the uncertainties with the vehicle presently are raising deep concerns for us for the purpose it is intended for, ie reliable getting us to and from remote locations safely.
I sincerely hope these issues can be resolved for good by the dealership.
Hi cam shaft. This happened to me on Friday. Sounds exactly the same situation. Same process got us going again.
Has this happened again for you?
Was the issue diagnosed?
I’ve reached 6000k’s on the clock and diesel.

Skrambo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:27 AM
Reaction score
Similar issue with my Trialmaster, gave it 10 minutes, tried again and nothing. The car has been at the dealership for 6 days now and they seem to not know how to fix it. Got my car two weeks ago and its really frustrating. Anyone knows if somebody had the same issue

This happened to me and they found an issue with the alarm siren module. It was replaced and all seems good so far.

Local time
5:27 PM
Reaction score
Regardless of the type of start signal - either switching a relay/solenoid or pinging the ecu - a physical key doesn't require a battery to operate vs. a fob which does. It's just one less gizmo to fail after rough treatment. Out on the water, deep in the woods, or down on the farm - a key will continue to function for decades. Plus they're cheap to duplicate or replace. I think it fits with the original ethos.
An additionally you don't need electric steering lock which will be much more difficult to repair or bypass in case of a failure.

Local time
9:27 AM
Reaction score
An additionally you don't need electric steering lock which will be much more difficult to repair or bypass in case of a failure.
Several, really solid, points about features that fail. I think the issue for Ineos was it’s a mashup (not the carriage or coach so much) of off the shelf parts which led to inclusion of these features without adhering to their theme. For me, This truck would be more attractive/reliable over the years w/o these gizmos.

Mules

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:57 AM
Reaction score
Just had a similar (or same) problem - starter motor activated, but engine didn't fire. Vehicle had only sat stationary for 10 minutes following a good drive before I attempted ignition.

Following the above advice, took the kids for a 10 min walk and it fired up fine. No errors codes which is a little frustrating, it will be another phantom occurrence that can't be solved more than likely.

Local time
9:27 AM
Reaction score
I'd be curious if somebody that has the problem check to see if it is getting spark. Maybe it can be determined if this is fuel delivery or electrical. The B58's had issues with the crank or cam position sensor, DME relay, or general grounding problems. If it isn't throwing a code then it sounds like it might be the relay (where ever that might be)

Local time
Reaction score
If I had to make a guess, the fact that cooling before next start attempt helps may refer to cam sensor. Should raise a code but not necessarily to car's display.

Last edited:

internal

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:27 PM
Reaction score
I also experienced this phenomenon: after several days off-road in Bosnia and Herzegovina, I had to visit a supermarket to top up my beer supplies.
I stood there for maybe 15 minutes, then turned the ignition key, the starter turned, but the engine wouldn't start (diesel). Both batteries are well charged. Luckily I had read about it here in the forum and was able to convince my (annoyed) wife to go for a meal next door.
When we got back, I turned the ignition key and the engine started as if nothing had happened. No more problems since then, but who knows if it won't start after a start/stop at some point?

That is very worrying. I don't want to be away from civilisation and the car just won't start. I will have this checked at the garage, but obviously there is no solution yet.

neuf11

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:27 PM
Reaction score
When we got back, I turned the ignition key and the engine started as if nothing had happened. No more problems since then, but who knows if it won't start after a start/stop at some point?

. . . same issue happens to my wife today.

After questioning my wife she remembered, that she has forgotten during the drive to disengage the start/stop function.

When she arrived at the parking lot, the vehicle goes into automatically in the „stop"-Modus and she put the gear lever in the „P" position. After returning to the car, the Grenadier failed to start. She left and locked the car and went in the supermarket for further purchases.

When I arrived 20 min later and tried starting the engine, everything was fine, the Diesel started immediately.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
. . . same issue happens to my wife today.

After questioning my wife she remembered, that she has forgotten during the drive to disengage the start/stop function.

When she arrived at the parking lot, the vehicle goes into automatically in the „stop"-Modus and she put the gear lever in the „P" position. After returning to the car, the Grenadier failed to start. She left and locked the car and went in the supermarket for further purchases.

When I arrived 20 min later and tried starting the engine, everything was fine, the Diesel started immediately.
I am impressed with your ability to " questioning my wife". I don't have the courage to do such a thing. 😉

Back
Top Bottom