The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

New Grenadier FIELDMASTER Owner (Soon!) - Overlanding, Sand Dunes & Reliability (Saudi Arabia)

Local time
11:46 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and excited to be part of the Grenadier community! I'm in Saudi Arabia and very interested in buying a Grenadier. I've already spoken with a local dealer.

My Grenadier Use Case:

My main interest is using it for overlanding and recreational activities, which often involves off-roading in sand dunes and potentially crossing flooded roads.

General Opinions:

Before I take the plunge, I'd love to hear from current Grenadier owners, about their overall experience. What are your thoughts on the car for desert driving? Any pros and cons you'd like to highlight?

Overlanding and Sand Dunes:

Since I plan on using it for overlanding and tackling sand dunes, I'm particularly interested in its off-road capabilities. Has anyone here used their Grenadier in similar conditions? Any tips or things to be aware of specific to desert driving?

Reliability Concerns:

While I'm excited about the Grenadier, I'm also doing my research on potential reliability issues. Here are some specific concerns I have:

Engine: Have any owners faced issues like stalling, rough idling, fuel delivery problems, ignition or sensors problems, turbocharger issues, or mechanical failures?
Electrical: Besides the known touchscreen malfunctions, have there been any reports of problems with exterior/interior lighting, faulty sensors, or harness/connection issues?
Any insights or experiences you can share, especially from fellow Grenadier owners in Saudi Arabia, would be greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to becoming a Grenadier owner and joining the adventures!

Alpha_Pack

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:46 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and excited to be part of the Grenadier community! I'm in Saudi Arabia and very interested in buying a Grenadier. I've already spoken with a local dealer.

My Grenadier Use Case:

My main interest is using it for overlanding and recreational activities, which often involves off-roading in sand dunes and potentially crossing flooded roads.

General Opinions:

Before I take the plunge, I'd love to hear from current Grenadier owners, about their overall experience. What are your thoughts on the car for desert driving? Any pros and cons you'd like to highlight?

Since I plan on using it for overlanding and tackling sand dunes, I'm particularly interested in its off-road capabilities. Has anyone here used their Grenadier in similar conditions? Any tips or things to be aware of specific to desert driving?

Reliability Concerns:

While I'm excited about the Grenadier, I'm also doing my research on potential reliability issues. Here are some specific concerns I have:

Engine: Have any owners faced issues like stalling, rough idling, fuel delivery problems, ignition or sensors problems, turbocharger issues, or mechanical failures?
Electrical: Besides the known touchscreen malfunctions, have there been any reports of problems with exterior/interior lighting, faulty sensors, or harness/connection issues?
Any insights or experiences you can share, especially from fellow Grenadier owners in Saudi Arabia, would be greatly appreciated!

Alpha_Pack
We have taken our Grenadier Trialmaster diesel across Australia with visits/crossings of the Strzelecki, Simpson, Sturt Stony and Great Victoria deserts. Simpson is the only one of these with notable dunes. Our Grenadier performed well in the sand.

I was based in Saudi (Dammam) for a bit and took a Prado across the Rub’ al Khali/Nafud and on various trips around the Eastern Province, Mada’in Salih, Ha’il etc. I reckon the Grenadier will be an excellent choice for those conditions.

We have around 20,000kms on our vehicle. So far the only electrical failure we’ve had was a steering control module that required replacement. No persistent issues other than perhaps the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System which could offer more temperature range before sounding an alert when operating in high ambient temps. May have been fixed with a software update so please don’t accept that without asking your dealer: we’ve not been in similar conditions since.

Best of luck with your decision, I hope a Grenadier community forms in the Kingdom. Please share photos if so!

Last edited:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My Grenadier Use Case:

General Opinions:

Reliability Concerns:

Alpha_Pack
Hi Alpha_Pack,
Here's a video of a forum member driving in sand and his recommendations. I have added my own comments below the link that I took as I was watching the Video. To reference sand driving mode I simply cut and pasted my notes into the notes section of my iPhone and titled it Grenadier Sand Driving. That way I can look back at it and view the video and my notes at anytime. Even if I have not reception, I can still see my notes. I say, jump on in the waters fine, however in your situation I say, Jump on in the sand is fine. DaBull

SAND DRIVING BY MICHAEL HAMILTON
@Grenadier MICHAEL
THIS IS THE PERFECT VIDEO FOR SAND DRIVING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nArCWv3Oygk&t=2s

1- TIRES AT 15 PSI FOR SOFT SAND AND AT 18 PSI FOR A BIT FIRMER SAND.
BE CAREFUL TO NOT TURN TO SHARP OR YOU COULD DEMOUNT THE TIRE

2- CENTER DIFF LOCKED IN LOW.

3- USE MANUAL MODE ON TRANSMISSION SO YOU CAN HOLD THE GEAR WHERE YOU WANT, OTHERWISE THE AUTO TRANS WILL SHIFT WHEN YOU DON’T WANT IT TOO.

4- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ESC ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL TURNED OFF.

5 - OFF ROAD MODE ON.

6- KEEP SUSTAINED PACE AND DON’T SPIN WHEELS OR YOU MIGHT DIG IN.

7 - REMEMBER TO AIR BACK UP BEFORE DRIVING ON TARMAC.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:46 PM
Reaction score
Hi Alpha_Pack,
Here's a video of a forum member driving in sand and his recommendations. I have added my own comments below the link that I took as I was watching the Video. To reference sand driving mode I simply cut and pasted my notes into the notes section of my iPhone and titled it Grenadier Sand Driving. That way I can look back at it and view the video and my notes at anytime. Even if I have not reception, I can still see my notes. I say, jump on in the waters fine, however in your situation I say, Jump on in the sand is fine. DaBull

SAND DRIVING BY MICHAEL HAMILTON
@Grenadier MICHAEL
THIS IS THE PERFECT VIDEO FOR SAND DRIVING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nArCWv3Oygk&t=2s

1- TIRES AT 15 PSI FOR SOFT SAND AND AT 18 PSI FOR A BIT FIRMER SAND.
BE CAREFUL TO NOT TURN TO SHARP OR YOU COULD DEMOUNT THE TIRE

2- CENTER DIFF LOCKED IN LOW.

3- USE MANUAL MODE ON TRANSMISSION SO YOU CAN HOLD THE GEAR WHERE YOU WANT, OTHERWISE THE AUTO TRANS WILL SHIFT WHEN YOU DON’T WANT IT TOO.

4- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ESC ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL TURNED OFF.

5 - OFF ROAD MODE ON.

6- KEEP SUSTAINED PACE AND DON’T SPIN WHEELS OR YOU MIGHT DIG IN.

7 - REMEMBER TO AIR BACK UP BEFORE DRIVING ON TARMAC.

This other video of mine might also be helpful …
View: https://youtu.be/YaK48N3wkQc?si=XKxd97hlUdY6ueXI

Last edited:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
Local time
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm writing with some disappointment regarding my experience with the Grenadier purchase process. I was initially very excited and configured my Trialmaster on the INEOS website, which was then sent to the local dealer.

Unfortunately, my experience with the dealer hasn't been positive. Despite calling them twice and my friend reaching out several times, we haven't received any clear information about the prices and time to deliver.

Adding to my frustration, the initial price information I received suggested a standard Grenadier starting around $76,000 (unofficial). However, today the dealer mentioned a new starting price of $103,000, which is a significant jump,especially considering this is for the base Grenadier, not the Trialmaster or Fieldmaster editions.

A $27,000 price increase is a big deal, especially when you consider you could buy another entire car for that amount.This lack of transparency and communication from the dealer has unfortunately led me to reconsider my entire Grenadier purchase.

I truly wish INEOS had a direct presence here in Saudi Arabia to avoid such situations. Perhaps others have had similar experiences or advice they can share.

Thanks,
Alpha_Pack

Local time
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wanted to share a quick update on my Grenadier experience since my last post. As many of you know, I was incredibly frustrated with the lack of information and price hikes from my local dealer.

The good news is, the dealer has adjusted their pricing to be more reasonable! This allowed me not only to buy it, but to upgrade to the Fieldmaster Edition!

I picked up my new Grenadier yesterday and couldn't be happier. I even changed my avatar to a picture of it:LOL:.

I'm excited to start exploring with my new Fieldmaster!

Best,
Alpha_Pack

Local time
Reaction score
We have taken our Grenadier Trialmaster diesel across Australia with visits/crossings of the Strzelecki, Simpson, Sturt Stony and Great Victoria deserts. Simpson is the only one of these with notable dunes. Our Grenadier performed well in the sand.

I was based in Saudi (Dammam) for a bit and took a Prado across the Rub’ al Khali/Nafud and on various trips around the Eastern Province, Mada’in Salih, Ha’il etc. I reckon the Grenadier will be an excellent choice for those conditions.

We have around 20,000kms on our vehicle. So far the only electrical failure we’ve had was a steering control module that required replacement. No persistent issues other than perhaps the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System which could offer more temperature range before sounding an alert when operating in high ambient temps. May have been fixed with a software update so please don’t accept that without asking your dealer: we’ve not been in similar conditions since.

Best of luck with your decision, I hope a Grenadier community forms in the Kingdom. Please share photos if so!
hi
Here are a few fresh pictures of my Grenadier. I'm really excited to take it overlanding and capture some more adventure shots as soon as the weather cooperates.

[p]https://vt.tiktok.com/ZS2h9CJAr/[/p]

Looking forward to sharing more adventures!

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Congrats on the new Grenadier! I own a Trialmaster now in Arizona but spent 13 years in KSA where I had a Land Cruiser 76 series and a 200 series diesel.

As you seem to have discovered already, the dealer experience in KSA is miserable. Be sure to do all of your required services at the dealer (despite the fact that they will rape you on the fees) or you are likely to have any warranty claims rejected.

As for the Grenadier's suitability for off-roading in KSA conditions, I think in general it will be fine. I did a lot of camping during the winter months and crossed the RAK multiple times. I also did many other areas of KSA. Its a beautiful country to explore. Here are some thoughts:

The fuel capacity is its biggest shortfall -- my LC 200 with the long ranger tank could go 1500kms between fill-ups. For planning purposes, for the Grenadier, you should probably plan on a range of ~350kms. That mean you will need to carry a lot of jerry cans. Be careful with that, I saw a Defender 110 burn to the ground when one of his jerry cans had a slow leak that was ignited by static electricity. The occupants suffered serious burns.

Power should be more than adequate for sensible dune crossings. Take care to keep the center of gravity as low as possible (the one time I rolled my LC 76 was the one time I broke that rule and put more weight on the roof rack than my usual).

On the psi recommendations, for general sand driving I would start at 15psi. Don't be afraid to go as low as 6-8psi if you get bogged. If you really get stuck, you can go even lower, but resist the urge to turn until you can pump up again. I'll be going with the Owl vans air compressor solution because having the compressor in the cab where it gets clean cool air will allow it to survive a lot longer. Don't overdo speed, take gentle (not abrupt) turns, and try to only approach dunes at a 90 degree angle as much as possible (in other words, avoid being sideways to a slope as much as possible).

One of the big advantages of having a Land Cruiser in KSA is more than likely other people on the trip with you (never go out alone) will also have a Landcruiser and you can therefore you can share spare tires. Since you are unlikely to have another Grenadier (or a MB Sprinter) to borrow a spare from if you need a second, you will need to carry a second spare to make up for this (on more remote trips). Make sure you figure out a good way to strap that down, preferably in the cargo area and not on the roof. Be sure to have a solution to be able to jack-up in soft sand.

Find a good group of like minded people and always be confident enough to recognize when something is unsafe or beyond your abilities and say no.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom