The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

NATO plug starter cables

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:19 AM
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m looking for starter cables that can be connected directly to the NATO socket and to be used to jump start a variety of vehicles such as cars, atv, lawn mowers, tractors.

When I search for it here in Sweden there seems to be quite a few products readily available.

However, is there any considerations that needs to be taken here?

I’ve notice that except for length of the cable, one variable that seems to differ between the various products is the area of the wire. Some are 50mm^2, and some are 35mm^2. One specifies Amperage to 600A, one 1500A, others doesn’t mention amperage.

What should I be looking for here?

For anyone interested, these are the ones I’ve found so far;

Local time
10:19 PM
Reaction score
I believe that you would be well served doing a little research about wiring length and amp loads. In brief, the higher the load and the longer the wiring run the larger the wire has to be. I’d simply make my own cables although I do these kinds of things…
This is definitely a case of bigger is better, within the limits of the NATO outlet.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:19 PM
Reaction score
Can you even connect the NATO plug to the battery if the battery is out? Dont you need enough juice to activate the relay for the NATO plug?

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:19 PM
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m looking for starter cables that can be connected directly to the NATO socket and to be used to jump start a variety of vehicles such as cars, atv, lawn mowers, tractors.

When I search for it here in Sweden there seems to be quite a few products readily available.

However, is there any considerations that needs to be taken here?

I’ve notice that except for length of the cable, one variable that seems to differ between the various products is the area of the wire. Some are 50mm^2, and some are 35mm^2. One specifies Amperage to 600A, one 1500A, others doesn’t mention amperage.

What should I be looking for here?

For anyone interested, these are the ones I’ve found so far;

You will be aware that Ineos specced the NATO plug circuit for the sole purpose of powering the removable rear winch. A few have repurposed it to supply power for other uses, like shore power for caravans, etc. Ineos advise against this, as you would expect from the OEM.
You may not be aware that the circuit is fused at 350 Amps not 500 Amps per the marking on the overhead switch. So whatever your intentions are you're limited to <350 Amps. That's a bit low for a surge current application like jump starting other vehicles. I would just use a Noco or similar lithium jump starter instead.
If you proceed with your idea then use the CCA rating of the battery in the dead vehicle as a rough indicator of the current demands of the vehicle during cranking so you don't overload the NATO circuit.

Back
Top Bottom