The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Map delay on infotainment

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:22 PM
Reaction score
I wonder if it plays up after the phone temporary loses a signal sometimes as it passes through a no network coverage spot. Common in our part of the country
I doubt that this is the problem. I have the problem in areas with good coverage and phone indicates strong signal. Only have problem I. My Grenadier. same phone in s8milar places has no issues in different car. In both cars the iPhone is plugged into the input USB port so I’m presuming it is operating as a wired connection

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:22 PM
Reaction score
Hi, no. The wired connection only works for Android. The Apple CarPlay function works only wireless. If not mistaken there’s another tread somewhere in this forum about this.

I did notice a software error on the IG. If you plug in the iPhone via cable before you have turned on the contact, it seems it loses its connection parameters with the car. The IG is not seeing the iPhone via CarPlay and the iPhone says it’s connected but nothing goes through. I solved this by simply opening up the iPhone before I put the key into contact, then turn the contact on in position 2, wait for all the messages to cycle and lights to go out and then start. Works every time and haven’t had a disconnect in 6 weeks ;)
If you can't use CarPlay using cable, how do you charge the phone since using maps flattens the phone relatively quickly. Is the assumption that you have to use an induction charger ( or power bank ).

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you can't use CarPlay using cable, how do you charge the phone since using maps flattens the phone relatively quickly. Is the assumption that you have to use an induction charger ( or power bank ).
You can certainly have iPhone plugged in to the input USB port in centre cubby and it charges. I have been assuming that this also gives me a wired connection. However I am not certain that plugging the iPhone into this port necessarily gives a wired connection. However when plugged in to the centre port you have some sort of connection (maybe it is still wireless and the wired connection is inoperative) and you have charging.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You can certainly have iPhone plugged in to the input USB port in centre cubby and it charges. I have been assuming that this also gives me a wired connection. However I am not certain that plugging the iPhone into this port necessarily gives a wired connection. However when plugged in to the centre port you have some sort of connection (maybe it is still wireless and the wired connection is inoperative) and you have charging.
Yes, I was just about to say ignore my stupid post because as a last resort you still have the USB A port for charging

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No idea if accurate, but at handover my agent told me apple car play will hard connect but only from USB C port inside centre cubby

gkhaldi

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:22 PM
Reaction score
You can plug the iPhone in the cable but the CarPlay function still be used wireless. You can test it easily…turn of WiFi and connect via cable. The system won’t find your iPhone.

Barttraeger

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:22 PM
Reaction score
Anyone else get a delay or even just an outright freeze on their maps when using either Google maps, Apple Maps or Waze through the infotainment?
I also often get delays in the navigation system on the actual dash.
Yes I have been having this issue frequently in Apple Maps through infotainment. Temporary cure is to stop and restart navigation. I assumed it was caused by a satellite issue on phone and was thinking to try attaching an additional gps sensor I used for flying, so interesting to hear this is an infotainment software topic.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:22 PM
Reaction score
I did quite a bit of testing over 800km driving today. I think it’s the cars built-in GPS freezing. When it froze I switched between apps, all frozen. Then disconnected the phone and maps were all tracking correctly. Then connected a second phone which was mapping correctly, and head unit maps still frozen.

It’s clearly the head unit not the devices. When CarPlay is connected the cars built-in GPS takes over so all mapping apps freeze on any connected device through CarPlay.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
If the maps are tile maps and downloaded on the fly, it could be the connection. If they are locally stored tile maps it should be quick. If these are locally stored vector maps, they are slower than tile maps. That can be compensated by fast storage chips and processors, as the map view is calculated in realtime.

A Mercedes Benz engineer insisted once for more expensive but faster processors for the internal navigation system. After he got beaten by his managers he got what he wanted. The system was very fast then and seven times faster than the direct rival. That was noticed by the media and car testers and journalists. It was even worth to be mentioned in test articles. After that everything was fine and he got some taps on his shoulder.

AWo

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
And another piece of confirmation that it’s the car’s built-in GPS freezing is the lat-long on the off-road statistics page was also frozen for an hour. When it eventually updated the CarPlay maps started working again… for a brief while.

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not a blip here - car play navigation matches exactly my iPhone.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
And another piece of confirmation that it’s the car’s built-in GPS freezing is the lat-long on the off-road statistics page was also frozen for an hour. When it eventually updated the CarPlay maps started working again… for a brief while.
What/whose satellite system do Oz use? Musk's Starlink

Last edited:

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What/whose satellite system do Oz use? Musk's Starlite.
GPS in Oz is pretty hit and miss tbh in some places. Up here in north QLD it is noticeable less accurate than down south. Even down south it is less accurate than being in Europe or North America. That might have something to do with it maybe? I know for instance that my iPhone nav isn't as good as a dedicated in-car GPS with a dedicated external antenna when I'm up here so I avoid using the phone nav unless I have no other option.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What/whose satellite system do Oz use? Musk's Starlite.
Depends what you are talking about.
For navigation they use the global GNSS systems, primarily the US GPS.

For Satellite phone there are systems like Iridium, Thuraya and Inmarsat.

You can subscribe to Starlink for Satellite internet.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have an extra Garmin extern gps receiver as a backup when the cellphone coverage is getting poor. It gets navigation more precise and faster.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
GPS service everywhere I’ve been in Aus is the same except for obstacles (terrain or buildings) or weather (cloud cover). Not sure what people are querying regarding GPS being better or worse in different countries. It all depends on how many satellites your device can see and how quickly it locks on.

More confirmation that the issue is the Grenadier built-in GPS because the dashboard compass freezes as well!

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have an extra Garmin extern gps receiver as a backup when the cellphone coverage is getting poor. It gets navigation more precise and faster.
GPS isn’t dependent on Cellphone coverage, although maps may be if you dont have them downloaded. But if I understand your device properly it also won’t help if you don’t have maps downloaded other than giving you coordinates you could check on a paper map

Last edited:

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
GPS isn’t dependent on Cellphone coverage, although maps may be if you dont have them downloaded. But if I understand your device properly it also won’t help if you don’t have maps downloaded other than giving you coordinates you could check on a paper map
GPS is assisted on iPhones by cell tower triangulation. But yes, pure GPS devices don’t need any cellular connection. They even get date & time info from the satellites. And most devices (eg Garmin wearables) are both GPS and GLONASS.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
GPS service everywhere I’ve been in Aus is the same except for obstacles (terrain or buildings) or weather (cloud cover). Not sure what people are querying regarding GPS being better or worse in different countries. It all depends on how many satellites your device can see and how quickly it locks on.

More confirmation that the issue is the Grenadier built-in GPS because the dashboard compass freezes as well!
I've been watching the behaviour of the dashboard compass and altimeter over the past few days while touring in Tasmania. Along straight stretches of highway, the compass and altimeter seem to freeze as you rightly point out. Then when the vehicle is suddenly making sharpish changes of direction and altitude in mountainous terrain, the device suddenly seems to "wake up", the altimeter resets itself to the local area and the compass is constantly adjusting to changes in direction: then it stops in one position and essentially freezes again. I'm wondering if it's a loose wire/connector...

Back
Top Bottom