The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Jeep convert about to order in LA

WanderingSniper

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:19 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am about to embark on the journey of owning an IG. My wife gave permission, the kids love the interior and I’m ready for a change. I’d really like to hear from a very specific set of people though if you don't mind. I am selling my Jeep 392, mostly because it is too loud on the freeway, has poor battery reliability and drives like a pig. The IG will be my daily driver in Los Angeles including canyon roads where I take my kids to school. My work will love this truck as I often go off-road in the desert for trainings. Any last minute advice though on using this for my purposes knowing it will spend so much time on road and I’m coming from a jeep which drives very similarly. (BTW, my biggest driving issue with the Jeep is in high crosswinds it is all over the place.)

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:19 PM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
I'm in the UK, so I'm not sure how relevant this is, but my Grenadier was a replacement for a 1989 Land Rover 110 CSW, (noisey, rough and increasingly unreliable, 200k+miles had worn it out). The Grenadier is better off road, quiet on road, not overly affected by crosswinds and a great drive in bad weather, (not that you get much in LA).

LR110CSW.jpg 353784802_10160579456219291_5716443546498490057_n.jpg

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I will be interested to hear your comments once you have driven your Grenadier for a while. I am in Australia and now have 28000klm on the Trialmaster with all of what you will read here as far as the warnings and so forth but the overall feeling is brilliant, a 4X4 limousine with great road manners, and when off-road the Gren is in its element, turning circle, diff locks, tyre pressures and all the other things associated with driving off-road will need fine tuning through practice. I have hit the sand and it soaks up the ride beautifully pending pressures again, tuning. Crosswinds, my car is standard height and has no issues. They are a heavy beast and feel so good to drive and track so well, once again tyre type and pressures. If you are coming from a Jeep 392 Hemi your new truck will be quiet and smooth as silk...happy motoring and welcome aboard (y)

Attachments

• IMG_6507.jpg
    IMG_6507.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

IslandFalconer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:19 PM
Reaction score
I had a Gladiator, and 6 previous jeeps.
It drives better, it is much much much more quiet in every way. Can’t speak to what happens when you stick a set of M/T Mud tires on it though. Be prepared to take a step back in technology. Keep has done a good job of infotainment in recent years. Ineos is still in its growing phase. Also the aftermarket is just starting to come online, so not nearly the access you had for your jeep. Reliability wise the Grenadier has had growing pains as well. My truck has multiple open issues yet to be resolved. But it has always started and gotten where I need to go. If you’re frustrated with your Jeep and the multitude of dealerships, be careful. Ineos has a handful of dealerships and this is its first go at building a truck. It is solid, well built and tough as duck! But be prepared for “issues”

Reactions: Max

WanderingSniper

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had a Gladiator, and 6 previous jeeps.
It drives better, it is much much much more quiet in every way. Can’t speak to what happens when you stick a set of M/T Mud tires on it though. Be prepared to take a step back in technology. Keep has done a good job of infotainment in recent years. Ineos is still in its growing phase. Also the aftermarket is just starting to come online, so not nearly the access you had for your jeep. Reliability wise the Grenadier has had growing pains as well. My truck has multiple open issues yet to be resolved. But it has always started and gotten where I need to go. If you’re frustrated with your Jeep and the multitude of dealerships, be careful. Ineos has a handful of dealerships and this is its first go at building a truck. It is solid, well built and tough as duck! But be prepared for “issues”
Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to hear. (Cheers to everyone who answered as well!) I truly appreciate the advice.

Psignore00

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You’ll probably end up with a bit of “big tire envy” if you’re like me. I’m 6 months and 11k miles in and starting to get used to it though

Reactions: Max

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:19 PM
Reaction score
It drives like a pig, but a trained pig. Certainly more refined then a Jeep, and it looks sooooo much cooler. Off-road these things are stone cold killers. 35s are a set of springs away, and turns a cute truck into a sexy beast. If you wheel hard, and I am guessing you do with a 392 a Jeep will need lots of work to keep from breaking. The Grenadier might even survive my punishment with all 1 ton running gear and none of the ridiculous easy to break parts. Did I mention you will have space to take your family on the trail for days? Or the endless fantastic little off road goodies like no seat belt buzzer mode or try to drown the truck mode. I can assure you these are awesome features. And if you ever miss the Jeep, just flip on the 500 amp switch, fire up a welder and fix the broken Jeep you find on the trail.

WanderingSniper

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It drives like a pig, but a trained pig. Certainly more refined then a Jeep, and it looks sooooo much cooler. Off-road these things are stone cold killers. 35s are a set of springs away, and turns a cute truck into a sexy beast. If you wheel hard, and I am guessing you do with a 392 a Jeep will need lots of work to keep from breaking. The Grenadier might even survive my punishment with all 1 ton running gear and none of the ridiculous easy to break parts. Did I mention you will have space to take your family on the trail for days? Or the endless fantastic little off road goodies like no seat belt buzzer mode or try to drown the truck mode. I can assure you these are awesome features. And if you ever miss the Jeep, just flip on the 500 amp switch, fire up a welder and fix the broken Jeep you find on the trail.
LMAO. I have been wheeling very hard, and my skid plates as just tin foil by now. I'm leaning in a new direction though, I think it's time for more family camping trips and taking my son (as an 11 year old he loves the switches on the IG) hiking. That's the biggest reason for the switch, I need something that's more comfortable and quiet getting us to the trail than the JL. I don't need a Mercedes level of quiet, but having a phone call would be nice.

AFdude412

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:19 PM
Reaction score
LMAO. I have been wheeling very hard, and my skid plates as just tin foil by now. I'm leaning in a new direction though, I think it's time for more family camping trips and taking my son (as an 11 year old he loves the switches on the IG) hiking. That's the biggest reason for the switch, I need something that's more comfortable and quiet getting us to the trail than the JL. I don't need a Mercedes level of quiet, but having a phone call would be nice.
I owned a 392 for the better part of a year as I was one of the first in the order line back in 2021. However, after building it out with 37's and all the normal accouterment, I loathed anything longer than an hour drive in it. However, during covid we all saw the crazy increases in prices and luckily that meant I could sell the 392 for a pretty penny. I took the money and ran... and drove the airport car until the Grenadier came about.

No doubt about it, the drive in the Grenadier is much more docile and, in fact more engaging. It's a different animal and has a personality of something more utilitarian, much like a LC 76 or Patrol GU, like Australia has, all while having some refinement of a quiet ride and some modernity in the infotainment. Heck, even the speakerphone works great! The ride is quiet compared to the Jeep and you'll love it as long as it's not a dedicated rock crawler. The power is ample and doesn't really leave me wanting for more. You'll quickly realize just how purpose built this thing is. Good luck with the purchase!

Attachments

• IMG_9128 copy.jpg
    IMG_9128 copy.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6980.jpeg
    IMG_6980.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5230.jpeg
    IMG_5230.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 20

WanderingSniper

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I owned a 392 for the better part of a year as I was one of the first in the order line back in 2021. However, after building it out with 37's and all the normal accouterment, I loathed anything longer than an hour drive in it. However, during covid we all saw the crazy increases in prices and luckily that meant I could sell the 392 for a pretty penny. I took the money and ran... and drove the airport car until the Grenadier came about.

No doubt about it, the drive in the Grenadier is much more docile and, in fact more engaging. It's a different animal and has a personality of something more utilitarian, much like a LC 76 or Patrol GU, like Australia has, all while having some refinement of a quiet ride and some modernity in the infotainment. Heck, even the speakerphone works great! The ride is quiet compared to the Jeep and you'll love it as long as it's not a dedicated rock crawler. The power is ample and doesn't really leave me wanting for more. You'll quickly realize just how purpose built this thing is. Good luck with the purchase!
That was a great write up, and I love that you know about the 392. It’s a beast and fast as anything out there. As my wife says though, it never stops trying to kill you. I just put in my order today for a mushroom trialmaster. It’s a better choice for my life now. At least based on the forum advice!

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That was a great write up, and I love that you know about the 392. It’s a beast and fast as anything out there. As my wife says though, it never stops trying to kill you. I just put in my order today for a mushroom trialmaster. It’s a better choice for my life now. At least based on the forum advice!
A mature executive decision, well that is what I thought when purchasing my Scottish White Trialmaster but now when I open her door and key in hand, the boy within me jumps in the driver's seat with a big smile on his dial...happy motoring :love:

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:19 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am about to embark on the journey of owning an IG. My wife gave permission, the kids love the interior and I’m ready for a change. I’d really like to hear from a very specific set of people though if you don't mind. I am selling my Jeep 392, mostly because it is too loud on the freeway, has poor battery reliability and drives like a pig. The IG will be my daily driver in Los Angeles including canyon roads where I take my kids to school. My work will love this truck as I often go off-road in the desert for trainings. Any last minute advice though on using this for my purposes knowing it will spend so much time on road and I’m coming from a jeep which drives very similarly. (BTW, my biggest driving issue with the Jeep is in high crosswinds it is all over the place.)
From the perspective of a guy that uses his as a daily driver in Chicago, here is my perspective.

I was in the market for a winter vehicle. However I could not bring myself to buy a jeep or bronco as literally everyone has one and there is nothing special about them. I had always wanted a jeep but when it came right down to it, I jumped at the chance for something unique and special.

I have 4500 miles on my Fieldmaster now and all driving around the city and to and from work. I rarely drive my merc E550 anymore and my wife’s Mercedes GLS 450 just has no life compared to the ineos. I love it. It takes some getting use to in terms of the steering but after a few days it just fine.

It is super quiet inside and taking calls and listening to the stereo is great. It is smooth as silk in terms of driving and comfort. It is huge, much taller and bulkier than any jeep so you feel superior and the seats and interior are solid and super well built. And I have had four new mercedes right off the dealer floor so I know want quality should feel like.

I put on a leitner bumper light bar with two Baja designs spot lights and I upgraded the bass/amp and have on order some additional undercarriage bash plates from Rival USA which will be here next week. I am also ordering a Milltek catback exhaust for a deeper grumble next week.

I also installed (and this is probably a must) a wolf box and had it professionally installed for safety backing up and side view visibility.

Short story, I love my Ineos and at this point I can’t imagine not owning one.

All that having been said, this isn’t for everyone. If you love classic cars, understand traditional driving set ups and want something unique and cool as hell, this is for you. If you want super modern and all modern conveniences, it isn’t for you.

I will use mine off road for sure but it isn’t my purpose for buying it. If I had the cash, I would buy another to throw in the back of the garage as I think these are destined to be collectors cars in the near future.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From the perspective of a guy that uses his as a daily driver in Chicago, here is my perspective.

I was in the market for a winter vehicle. However I could not bring myself to buy a jeep or bronco as literally everyone has one and there is nothing special about them. I had always wanted a jeep but when it came right down to it, I jumped at the chance for something unique and special.

I have 4500 miles on my Fieldmaster now and all driving around the city and to and from work. I rarely drive my merc E550 anymore and my wife’s Mercedes GLS 450 just has no life compared to the ineos. I love it. It takes some getting use to in terms of the steering but after a few days it just fine.

It is super quiet inside and taking calls and listening to the stereo is great. It is smooth as silk in terms of driving and comfort. It is huge, much taller and bulkier than any jeep so you feel superior and the seats and interior are solid and super well built. And I have had four new mercedes right off the dealer floor so I know want quality should feel like.

I put on a leitner bumper light bar with two Baja designs spot lights and I upgraded the bass/amp and have on order some additional undercarriage bash plates from Rival USA which will be here next week. I am also ordering a Milltek catback exhaust for a deeper grumble next week.

I also installed (and this is probably a must) a wolf box and had it professionally installed for safety backing up and side view visibility.

Short story, I love my Ineos and at this point I can’t imagine not owning one.

All that having been said, this isn’t for everyone. If you love classic cars, understand traditional driving set ups and want something unique and cool as hell, this is for you. If you want super modern and all modern conveniences, it isn’t for you.

I will use mine off road for sure but it isn’t my purpose for buying it. If I had the cash, I would buy another to throw in the back of the garage as I think these are destined to be collectors cars in the near future.
Hi SkiBum1, Looking for your feedback on the Miltek Catback Exhaust once you get it installed. DaBull

MrWiggleBottom

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all,
I had a 23 JLXR I just traded in. I also live in LA and first dirt was Silverado Canyon. It did great on all the roads I took the Wrangler previously. Second trip was up to Sonoma County and here is where it really showed how much nicer than the Jeep it is. But it’s still a bit of a wonderer on the 5 but the ride… Oh the ride is so much better. Much more room too. Looking at getting some skid plates soon since that plastic oil pan makes me nervous. Then maybe some 33”s on the owl wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_3676.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8392.jpeg
    IMG_8392.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 8

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:19 AM
Reaction score
Coming from the perspective of a lifetime in Los Angeles (family still lives there) driving literally everything imaginable in traffic on the 405, i10, 605, i5….probably have a million miles in Socal.
I’ve owned Jeeps, Pickup trucks, sedans, station wagons, fast cars, slow cars, uncomfortable cars and comfy cars. Cars that look cool, cars that don’t look cool. Company cars, trucks with trailers. I’ve driven Kenworth 18 wheelers in LA traffic. I’ve even driven a Grenadier in Tustin. In Traffic.

Now having said all that, and being the proud owner of my Grenadier in Australia, having had to drive it in Brisbane Traffic, Sydney Traffic, and Melbourne traffic. It’s all traffic. (It drives more like the Kenworth than a Ram 1500)

The real place the grenadier shines is outside the city life. Sure. It’ll get groceries, and pickup the kids from soccer. Cool. I guess.
If I had to do that again in Socal? I wouldn’t buy a grenadier. In fact I’ve had friends from there ask, should I get one for driving to and from Mammoth, light off-road, etc etc.
My answer is no. There are better trucks on the American market for that. Hell a Ram Rebel, Ford Raptor, or TRD tundra for the same price of a grenadier is way more useful, friendly to drive, and comfortable in the city.

But if you’re planning to be in the boonies, for extended periods of time, with the need for front and rear lockers, muddies, dual batteries, a 12V fridge, lots of low range time, etc etc. Yeah, a grenadier in Socal would suffice.
Desert runs to the Mojave, Glamis, Johnson valley, Baja etc? I’d still choose a Ram Rebel (having had that for 5 years in Socal/Hawaii) or I’d go Ram Powerwagon (which actually has less payload than a rebel, but solid front axles)
Up further north, into Idaho, Montana, etc… a Ram or Ford or Tundra is going to be Equally as useful as a Grenadier. Anywhere you’re expecting to see narrower tracks is where the Grenadier will prove itself more useful.

If you want a rock crawler, a wrangler is still a better option. As it’s lighter, less expensive and has more readily available mods like getting 40’s etc. The payload on a wrangler is abysmal comparatively, which is where the Grenadier shines.

So to recap.
If you’re looking for robust and capable narrow body, short wheel base like a wrangler, but with the payload of a modern Ram or Toyota (1500lbs +\-) then a Grenadier starts to make more sense.

If you just want comfort and ease of drive. You won’t be happy with the grenadier.
Fuel efficiency isn’t its strongest suit either.

If you want to look cool on PCH And cruise the babes in Malibu? Yeah a grenadier will turn some heads, but that’s not its primary purpose.

For my needs here in Oz, which include minimal city driving. Extended outback trips, and a comfortable family car, I’d say it fits the requirements better than a 79 series Land Cruiser.
Which would be the alternative vehicle of choice for me here.

Back in the states, I’ll stick with a Ram or Jeep.
Just my personal opinions. Hopefully it helps in your decision making process.

Back
Top Bottom