The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Inverter Retrofit To OEM 400 W .

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:29 AM
Reaction score
Ok Guys here it goes.

Disclaimer: Try this at your won risk, you burn your car down, burn yourself down , get electrocuted your fault . SO, this how I think it should be done. Might be wrong might be right who knows.

Now this whole thing started when I placed my pre order in with the understanding that the car will come with an inverter. I was disappointed when they took it out at the last minute.

Thanks to legends of the biggest order (Yes Jean I am talking about you ) who disassembled the car once they got it , we were able to identify the orphan connector on the left hand side of the car which is for controlling the inverter form the BCM ( Body control module) .

After further speculation and bits of information here and there and a deep dive int the parts catalogue all the pieces needed to retrofit the inverter were found.

This was back in September of 2023. have been patiently waiting for the 2000w inverter to show up, unfortunately INEOS cancelled the order and said ‘ we will never offer that so stop asking for one’ .

So, I settled to the 400w inverter.

All the bits and bobs picked up yesterday. Total install time from the moment I got home to all said and done 6 hours. If I had to do it again I guess it would be half the time.

Number of broken clips: 1

Beers consumed: 3

Pizzas: 1

Swearing: usually loose count on a good day let alone trying to get a clip fastened in a deep dark hole.

Head scratching: not really pretty straight forward.

Now the kick in the gonads is that the BCM most likely needs to be told the inverter has been installed and to actually use it, the car recognises it is there and immediately shuts it down the moment you start the car . So, my Saint of a dealer Who puts up with me and all my questions and weird orders are happy to rummage around in the software and get it going. Update to follow.

So Big box in the back of the Gren and we are away.
big box .jpg

Part number of all parts below

rear quarter .jpg
rear quarter part number .jpgconsole.jpgpart number console .jpgbracket.jpgbracket part number .jpginverter .jpgpigtail .jpgpigtail part number .jpgplugs.jpgscrews needed.jpgscrews.jpg
First of all we need to take the panels off . Panels needing off for this are:

Rear Passenger quarter , C pillar trim . Door seal trim , Under seat plastic tray . You cannot install this with out these removed .

You will need a trim removal tool and so courage to pull all the clips apart.

start sanitised .jpg

I begun at the back though it would be the easiest .
So D ring need to come out + the screw hidden right of the jack + 3 small nuts behind the black circles .
10mm for the nuts TX45 for the rest .

dissasembly .jpg

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
use a small pry bar to lift the round covers . really easy to come out .
round ones.jpgbottom.jpgbottom rounds.jpgeyelts.jpg

Before pulling the panel off reach behind it an unclip the cigarette lighter

old one out .jpg

cigarette lighter rear .jpg

First panel is off

first panel off .jpg

Then i moved to the front and removed C pillar and seat trim . To my dismay none of my t50 sockets were shallow enough to get to the t50 torx and remove it . Thankfully my empire of dirt provided a T50 L wrench shorty and i was able to undo them . For the reinstall i used a ball tip torx. Wiha makes them . Way easier . Anyway Moving on .
remove rear seat cover.jpgt50 allen .jpg
This is how it should look with all trim removed . There are clips to get clipped at places under the trim .

all trim removed rear .jpg

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do not try the below it will not work ,:) ask me how i know .

do not try to route like this .jpg

Rear console now its pretty similar Remove the side panels , then remove 3 screws either side ( Dont be an idiot gorilla like me and keep pulling and wondering why nothing budges ) . Unclip the pigtail form the rear and remove the usb socket set for reinstall on the new one .

rear console .jpg

rear panels .jpg

console disassemble screws.jpg

usb outlet .jpg

Now the fun begins. I had no idea where all the clips were supposed to go , so i started at the back and worked my way forward . Have to say everything lined up perfectly once the correct clips got in place . Obliviously the many plugs side of the harness goes to the inverter at the back.

wire harness in .jpg
Then i got the inverter bracket on to set my length .

bracket on .jpg
Then the small 400w inverter goes on . ( yes i am annoyed that is only the 400 no one mentions it please)

inverter in and bracket .jpg

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Once that is done i could start to extrapolate where each clip went , a bit of lucky guessing and process of elimination ( since i knew which holes were for the clips) i was able to get the harness mounted .

And the orphan plug is no longer orphan found its other half . ( Insert joke about soulmates from Ancient Greek Mythology here. No one ??? I will show my self out ........ )

orphan plug no longer orphan .jpg
wiring inverter side .jpg
MOving on !!!! Wiring completed on the back end .

Now small detail . You can see that stud i attached the negative and the earth ? And you can see below it another perfectly good one ? with an nice skookum nut on it ? Yes i saw that nut and said perfect that must be the grounding point . Happily took the nut off and noticed that the eyelets would not go through . ( Aghhhhhh) . SO it seems the grounding point is the one above . BUT that was already painted , so i had to clean it to make sure i got good ground and i rummaged through my bolt bins and found a nice flange nut that worked ( In your face all those people who said 'What are you gonna do with all these stuff you accumulate ' ) Trips to the hardware shop avoided : 2 .
earth clean .jpg

That concludes the install at the back , now lets move onto the front . Where the real party starts.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Harness follows the door seal down and into the rear seat compartment . Several clips need to be clipped along the way .

harness along seal .jpg

below fuseboard routing .jpg
Now to properly hang the harness you need to install the little tab hangers ( circled in red) . those get placed behind the push in clips on straight bolts . So to install them you have to remove the current clip form the car , slide the hanging clip on and then reinstall the original clip . Confused already ??? pictures below should make it clear as mud .

cable routing edited  .jpg

how to hang .jpg
Now as you may have noticed i removed the little fuse housing and the fuse box , because i do not have gynecologist hands . And there is a limit to my patience . So i took everything off so i can see what i am doing and stop feeling my self around like a blind man ( you can complete that sentence yourself) .

After all that . 60 amp z fuse patiently waiting for her mate , accepts the inverter wire and everything gets torques to spec . 12Nm for those who care .

60 fuse already instaled .jpg

everythign torqued .jpg

barr fully loaded .jpg

All those are M8 studs and z case fuses rating written on the wires .

Final bit is to connect the earth wire to the earth stud in front of the ctek .

earth front .jpg

Last edited:

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Once that is done then the remainder of the harness gets to the final point which is the rear console . everything gets connected and reassembly is the reverse of reassembly as far as trim goes .

One last point to say the cigarette lighter at the back is 2 pieces , the inner piece needs to come out first before the outer piece can be pressed out .

rear outlet .jpg

All in all that is it .

Gren now knows there is an inverter on board but will not let me use it . I will be going to the dealer next week to play with the software .

Collectively hold your breath see what happens .
As far as install goes that's it , no fancy tools needed .

What i used :

Trim removal tool set
Torx 45 , 50
10 +13+ 15 sockets
17mm wrench

Hope this helps someone . Again remember at your own risk !!!!!

Tinki out , going for a beer .

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:29 PM
Reaction score
Once that is done then the remainder of the harness gets to the final point which is the rear console . everything gets connected and reassembly is the reverse of reassembly as far as trim goes .

One last point to say the cigarette lighter at the back is 2 pieces , the inner piece needs to come out first before the outer piece can be pressed out .

View attachment 7861009

All in all that is it .

Gren now knows there is an inverter on board but will not let me use it . I will be going to the dealer next week to play with the software .

Collectively hold your breath see what happens .
As far as install goes that's it , no fancy tools needed .

What i used :

Trim removal tool set
Torx 45 , 50
10 +13+ 15 sockets
17mm wrench

Hope this helps someone . Again remember at your own risk !!!!!

Tinki out , going for a beer .
Hi Tinki, I think you deserve a keg of beer.
DaBull

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:29 PM
Reaction score
Epic write up! Thanks for the effort and detail in your explanation.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
most welcome guys !!

Reactions: PBD

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Well done Tinki, good for you and thanks for recording it for the collective 👍

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
And now you must find a nook to mount the coffee machine 😄

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Having just done all of that, do you think it is possible to swap out the factory 400w unit for a larger unit using the existing wiring setup? (ie a plug and play swap for the inverter unit itself)

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Having just done all of that, do you think it is possible to swap out the factory 400w unit for a larger unit using the existing wiring setup? (ie a plug and play swap for the inverter unit itself)
Krabby my friend unless you get the same company that makes this sell you a bigger one i am not sure how that would work .

Now if you want to get a third party one and just use the positive cable power feed for it and ignore the control side of things then yes i guess you should be fine . Going larger you will be only limited by the cable gauge , fuses are easily changed . you will also need a switch somewhere to activate it .

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score
Great write up. Love the pics of all the detail

archerwolf

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:29 PM
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up!

I just ordered that LH interior cargo trim to mount the ARB twin compressor where the factory inverter would be.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom