The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

INSURANCE DIFICULTIES

Northumbrian Ineos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:44 PM
Reaction score
Morning All, my first post on here, I was wondering if anyone has had difficulty insuring their vehicle this year. I took my Fieldmaster in June last year, the insurance wasnt too bad to be fair, a bit more than the 64 plate defender it replaced, this year however..... the nodding dog said ooooohhhhhh no no no and declined to renew my policy. When I enquired they said that the underwriters had refused to insure this vehicle. A few other companies would entertain it either.

Shopping around gave me a few scary quotes, two grands and stuff!! I eventually got a relatively acceptable price but still £150 more than last year.

And no, Nothing has changed like claims, points on licence, address, modifications or any of those things

Has anyone else had this problem or know the reason why?

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Some underwriters now insist on an internal motion sensor if the vehicle value is over £70k ( I think that is the value).

The IG is not fitted with this sensor.

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I wish it was worth over 70k but the residuals don’t seem to be strong 😬
I had to have a tracker to get insurance from LV, I think pro-rata when added in March was around £850 with business mileage but total mileage was capped around 12,000 if I remember rightly. My previous 14 plate Freelander was around £350-400, can't remember exactly as we have a number of cars on the policy but the Freelander was expensive for it's age. Tracker seems to be necessary to get 'sensible' prices and keep mileage as low as realistically possible.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ive shopped around for quotes on mine, it’s not due yet but I was surprised how expensive some were. Adrian flux wanted 2300!!

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Try Admiral.
I was with Admiral prior to LV, both as multi car deals when I still had the Freelander so can't say if they would be cheaper for the Grenadier. Always make sure you restrict milage if possible.
I paid for a lifetime tracker as planning on this being last vehicle before we are all priced off the road or banned from having private transport (unless part of the political elite)

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
2:44 PM
Reaction score
Forget Churchill, those clowns have canned everyone’s insurance for the Grenny come renewal time, including mine, it didn’t come as a shock having already seen this on the forum. They did however leave it until just under two weeks before renewal to tell me to jog on. Apparently 3 weeks before renewal is the sweet spot, too early or later than this and your quote goes up !!!

I went with Admiral and got their gold cover for £838. 23 plate Trailmaster petrol, 8000 miles per annum, 15yrs no claims.

DoubleDoom

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I got a quote earlier in the year to get a guide. Cheapest Fieldmaster was coming out out £550 and Trialmaster £950. I got a quote the other day (as my date gets nearer to delivery) and both were coming out the same at £520 (including business use). Another change was when I added my 23 year old daughter, it shot up to over £3k earlier in the year but was £970 now.

Northumbrian Ineos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Forget Churchill, those clowns have canned everyone’s insurance for the Grenny come renewal time, including mine, it didn’t come as a shock having already seen this on the forum. They did however leave it until just under two weeks before renewal to tell me to jog on. Apparently 3 weeks before renewal is the sweet spot, too early or later than this and your quote goes up !!!

I went with Admiral and got their gold cover for £838. 23 plate Trailmaster petrol, 8000 miles per annum, 15yrs no claims.
That’s exactly what they did with me. Didn’t bother letting me know until very close to renewal!

Local time
Reaction score
Morning All, my first post on here, I was wondering if anyone has had difficulty insuring their vehicle this year. I took my Fieldmaster in June last year, the insurance wasnt too bad to be fair, a bit more than the 64 plate defender it replaced, this year however..... the nodding dog said ooooohhhhhh no no no and declined to renew my policy. When I enquired they said that the underwriters had refused to insure this vehicle. A few other companies would entertain it either.

Shopping around gave me a few scary quotes, two grands and stuff!! I eventually got a relatively acceptable price but still £150 more than last year.

And no, Nothing has changed like claims, points on licence, address, modifications or any of those things

Has anyone else had this problem or know the reason why?
insurance generally has increased a lot over 12 months and now most want a tracker fitting

DoubleDoom

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I got a quote earlier in the year to get a guide. Cheapest Fieldmaster was coming out out £550 and Trialmaster £950. I got a quote the other day (as my date gets nearer to delivery) and both were coming out the same at £520 (including business use). Another change was when I added my 23 year old daughter, it shot up to over £3k earlier in the year but was £970 now.
That £970 is now £737.

I tracked insurance pricing on our Range rover after the media frenzy. It wasn't due for renewal but I ran test quotes and the premium during the "pick on LR" media attacks saw the price rise to over £3000 in January (from its £600 range before). Around April of this year, the premiums had fallen back to under £1000.

Back
Top Bottom