The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel HVO100 EN15940 paraffin Diesel fuel

Barttraeger

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score
The Grenadier manual only refers to EN590 conform Diesel but I read that BMW has approved new and legacy engines (manufactured from March 2020) for the co2 neutral EN15940 paraffin fuel. Anyone know if this applies to Grenadier variants or not?

Pat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:54 AM
Reaction score
The Grenadier manual only refers to EN590 conform Diesel but I read that BMW has approved new and legacy engines (manufactured from March 2020) for the co2 neutral EN15940 paraffin fuel. Anyone know if this applies to Grenadier variants or not?
Ciao Barttraeger,
I have asked my dealer and as well the Italian service manager a while ago and never got an answer. I am guessing HVO would be approved and apart from a 90% CO2 reduction I think the regeneration of the DPF is no longer needed and also the ease of a cold start could be an advantage. Do not forget that the diesel in Central Europe is not of best quality compared to the one in the Nordics.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Sebastian

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:54 PM
Reaction score
Ineos provided vehicles for the HVO100 goes Germany Event (so maybe there will be official approval of Ineos for its use):

Vote:
Upvote 0

Barttraeger

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score
Yes I saw that in Bild. Let’s see what comes out about it. I remember flexibility on fuel (eg quality) was an early mentioned design criteria for Grenadier.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Christoph

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:54 PM
Reaction score
Anybody heard any news about this? HVO100 has now officially been released and I have a fuel station close to me who offers it - so I would like to know if INEOS approves using it in the Grenadier. Best, Christoph

Vote:
Upvote 0

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I never heard of it. What advantages would it have compared to a traditional diesel? Can it create problems in winter with cold temperatures?

Vote:
Upvote 0

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Anybody heard any news about this? HVO100 has now officially been released and I have a fuel station close to me who offers it - so I would like to know if INEOS approves using it in the Grenadier. Best, Christoph
All actual BMW Engines are released to HVO100, so I don’t think it’s a problem for the Grenadier

Vote:
Upvote 0

Christoph

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I never heard of it. What advantages would it have compared to a traditional diesel? Can it create problems in winter with cold temperatures?
It is said to be more performant, better for the engine, and has 90% less CO2 emissions than regular diesel.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Christoph

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Vote:
Upvote 0

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
HVO100 fulfills the DIN EN 590 for Diesel, except one thing: density. That has an impact on fuel consumption. HVO100 is less dense so it carries less energy per volume unit. Therefore you need more to get the same power.

DIN EN590 requires 825 to 840 kg per cubic meter at 15°C. It is compensated to a certain degree by a higher cetane number. When the fuel-delivery control phase is altered in the ECU you can completely compensate the less density.

Pro is the capability to be stored over long periods of time with no degradation due to the fact that it resists oxidation very well. That is also a drawback because it is less good extractable. Another drawback is the high amount of hydrogen needed, which is produced from methane in industrial scale today (around 80 to 85% worldwide), the so called "grey hydrogen". 1 t of hydrogen emitts 10 t of CO2 when it is produced from methane.

AWo

Vote:
Upvote 0

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:54 AM
Reaction score
what is the cost comparison of the HVO100 with normal diesel?

Vote:
Upvote 0

IGL

GG #2697
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What happens if i refuel B7 and HVO100 in a loose order, due to availability etc.? Is this possible or do i have to stick to HVO100 once i have used it? How may a mix of the fuels B7 and HVO100 affect the engine, the DPF and the use of adblue? Should any negative impact be expected? I'm unsure if all this is that simple. :unsure:

Vote:
Upvote 0

Christoph

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
What happens if i refuel B7 and HVO100 in a loose order, due to availability etc.? Is this possible or do i have to stick to HVO100 once i have used it? How may a mix of the fuels B7 and HVO100 affect the engine, the DPF and the use of adblue? Should any negative impact be expected? I'm unsure if all this is that simple. :unsure:
Read this morning in an article that it can be mixed without issues. Will try to find it again. Found it:

From the state of Bavaria, in German, translated by Chat GPT:

Can HVO be mixed with diesel?

Yes, HVO mixes very well with conventional diesel fuel. However, due to the low density of HVO, when blending more than approximately 26 percent with diesel, the density requirements of the DIN EN 590 standard for diesel fuel are no longer met.

Last edited:
Reactions: IGL
Vote:
Upvote 0

Pauli

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Welchen Anreiz gibt es dann HVO zu tanken?
1. Es ist teuerer als Diesel
2. Er verbraucht mehr
3. Ich rette den Planeten damit auch nicht! 😋

Hier würde es nur über den Verbrauch oder / und Preis gehen.
In anderen Ländern gibt es nur 2 Zapfsäulen, Diesel und Benzin... fertig!
In Deutschland kann man jeden Furz tanken, da sind doch bestimmt einige Touristen überfordert an der Tankstelle. 🤪

What incentive is there to fill up with HVO?

1. It's more expensive than diesel
2. It consumes more
3. I'm not saving the planet by doing this! 😋

Here it would only be about consumption and/or price.

In other countries there are only 2 pumps, diesel and petrol... that's it!

In Germany you can fill up with anything, so some tourists are probably overwhelmed at the petrol station.🤪

(Google Translator)

Vote:
Upvote 0

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Naja, ist ein E-fuel, wenn das viele, alle mal tanken, kannst Du einen Verbrenner auch noch lange fahren, ohne fossile Brennstoffe zu verbrauchen. Und wenn grüner Wasserstoff bei der Herstellung genommen wird, umso besser. Und da Bestandsfahrzeuge damit laufen, ist das auch erstmal nachhaltiger ale ein E-Auto.

Well, it's an e-fuel, so if everyone fills up, you can drive a combustion engine for a long time without using fossil fuels. And if green hydrogen is used in production, all the better. And since existing vehicles run on it, it's also more sustainable than an e-car at the moment.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Christoph

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Welchen Anreiz gibt es dann HVO zu tanken?
1. Es ist teuerer als Diesel
2. Er verbraucht mehr
3. Ich rette den Planeten damit auch nicht! 😋

Hier würde es nur über den Verbrauch oder / und Preis gehen.
In anderen Ländern gibt es nur 2 Zapfsäulen, Diesel und Benzin... fertig!
In Deutschland kann man jeden Furz tanken, da sind doch bestimmt einige Touristen überfordert an der Tankstelle. 🤪

What incentive is there to fill up with HVO?

1. It's more expensive than diesel
2. It consumes more
3. I'm not saving the planet by doing this! 😋

Here it would only be about consumption and/or price.

In other countries there are only 2 pumps, diesel and petrol... that's it!

In Germany you can fill up with anything, so some tourists are probably overwhelmed at the petrol station.🤪

(Google Translator)
Hi Pauli,

ich bin kein Experte - aber wenn es stimmt, dass es motorschonender ist, ist das auch ein gutes Argument für HVO100. Es läuft ja gerade die Umfrage von Stu wer seinen Grenadier wie lange behalten will - ich habe geantwortet für immer, und da wäre es gut wenn der auch so lang hält.

Viele Grüße
Christoph

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:54 PM
Reaction score
Its 15p per litre more expensive so its a moot point. If they cut the tax on it though...

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom