The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier Servicing Price Australia

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:46 AM
Reaction score
Wiper refills and cabin air filter would be additional cost, previously quoted $200 for the wipers alone...
Mate... your local agent must think you are all bain dead loaded to the hilt real estate agents who don't care about cost.

Most Gren owners are enthusiasts... not your average Ferrari owner (some probably are though).

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think the high price is due to the low volume of vehicles on the road.
Most car dealers are servicing high volume, multi model and multi brand vehicles.
So fixed costs are spread across a large number of vehicles.
An Ineos dealer may service only 2-3 vehicles per day.
Even if it was 5 vehicles at 225 days a year that is only 1,125 vehicles at $930 Gross. $1,046,250.
Take GST away $942,567.57
Then remove 50% for costs and you have $471,283.79 Gross Profit.
This is all just guesswork but would barely support a small workshop and 3 staff.
How many dealers in Australia only service the Grenadier and no other type? I thought SLRV was the only agent who is dedicated to Grenadier vehicles and no other brand, bar RV type vehicles which is their primary business? I could be wrong.

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:16 AM
Reaction score
Are the two issues not separate?

1. Warranty and vehicle problems fixed at no cost.
2. Servicing provided for a fair and reasonable rates?

It would seem quite a few here will just "accept" the high cost because, well you know, they gotta do all those other IA related fixes and updates etc etc.

In my view, it feels as though 40% of the cost is for "ass covering" to deal with IA related issues and I'm now seeking alternative costs through the rest of week as to what can be realistically achieved - cost wise.

What concerns me is that such a high basic service charge will lead to drastically inflated non-warranty type repair charges... I don't see how the two won't be linked by cost... and we will have to fork out a months savings up to twice yearly for servicing yet alone other repair types, if so required. Just my view on how this is going to play out.

By IA own play book, this isn't a luxury vehicle and as such we shouldn't be paying luxury servicing costs. Just a thought.

I told the wife about local servicing fees just tonight - I got one peeved wifey now!!! NOT HAPPY JAN!!!
Completely agree!

1. I've still got my car booked in for the service but penned my other option may only hav them look at some recall/warranty issues which I expect to be free of charge
2. We'd expect that!

It's a shame the Bosch deal hasn't seemed to have happened, at least in AUS, but as someone earlier mentioned, that would take income from dealers...

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mate... your local agent must think you are all bain dead loaded to the hilt real estate agents who don't care about cost.

Most Gren owners are enthusiasts... not your average Ferrari owner (some probably are though).
My local agent (they were great!) got closed down a few weeks ago, got merged into a sister dealership (Nissan, MG & Suzuki) with no staff retained, though the soon to be redundant staff were tasked with training up the new agent staff over 1 week during their final week of employment...

And then I got an email from Ineos stating they would be setting up a new agent in Adelaide with details to come in a few weeks, but not before I needed my service for a planned trip.

All a bit of a mess, don't really know who the local agent/dealer is but in the meantime need my first service and am being asked 30-50% more than other (interstate) agents or independent mechanics are quoting.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Completely agree!

1. I've still got my car booked in for the service but penned my other option may only hav them look at some recall/warranty issues which I expect to be free of charge
2. We'd expect that!

It's a shame the Bosch deal hasn't seemed to have happened, at least in AUS, but as someone earlier mentioned, that would take income from dealers...
It's a shame for sure. There is a stark difference between making a fair profit and profiteering. Unfortunately, in Australia, the latter is now embedded in the average psyche for a myriad of reasons, none of which actually requires hard work it would seem. This thread got me going down the rabbit hole again 🤪

Local time
Reaction score
My local agent (they were great!) got closed down a few weeks ago, got merged into a sister dealership (Nissan, MG & Suzuki) with no staff retained, though the soon to be redundant staff were tasked with training up the new agent staff over 1 week during their final week of employment...

And then I got an email from Ineos stating they would be setting up a new agent in Adelaide with details to come in a few weeks, but not before I needed my service for a planned trip.

All a bit of a mess, don't really know who the local agent/dealer is but in the meantime need my first service and am being asked 30-50% more than other (interstate) agents or independent mechanics are quoting.
That's a bit of a low act having the staff being made redundant train the new staff, the few redundancies I have seen that never works well. How many of the critical finer details were left out during the training to make sure the the new dealer can transition into new products smoothly and give good support?

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:46 AM
Reaction score
How many dealers in Australia only service the Grenadier and no other type? I thought SLRV was the only agent who is dedicated to Grenadier vehicles and no other brand, bar RV type vehicles which is their primary business? I could be wrong.
Ignition in Brisbane
I think 4 x 4 in Canberra
Frasers in Wollongong do Motorbikes but no other cars

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It's a shame for sure. There is a stark difference between making a fair profit and profiteering. Unfortunately, in Australia, the latter is now embedded in the average psyche for a myriad of reasons, none of which actually requires hard work it would seem. This thread got me going down the rabbit hole again 🤪
Over 50% of all new business fails because they don't make enough profit, or more realistically enough turnover, to make enough dollars profit.
Unless you have a huge turnover you can't survive on 20-25% Gross Profit.
Business planning needs to have best and worst case financials, along with ramp up from zero planning.
Cash flow is king and even if they are adding Ineos to an existing business they don't want it to drag down the profitability of the old business.
Unless it has significant turnover and long term growth potential.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Over 50% of all new business fails because they don't make enough profit, or more realistically enough turnover, to make enough dollars profit.
Unless you have a huge turnover you can't survive on 20-25% Gross Profit.
Business planning needs to have best and worst case financials, along with ramp up from zero planning.
Cash flow is king and even if they are adding Ineos to an existing business they don't want it to drag down the profitability of the old business.
Unless it has significant turnover and long term growth potential.
We run our business at 12% gross and its AOK. Depends on the business type.

Ignition deals in all kinds of luxury cars or am I mistaken???

There is no pure dedicated shop to Grenadier and that's because there would not be enough servicing turn over to keep it viable.

I am surprised Fraser's added a vehicle mech shop to a motor bike repair yard.. very different to set and set up...

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We run our business at 12% gross and its AOK. Depends on the business type.

Ignition deals in all kinds of luxury cars or am I mistaken???

There is no pure dedicated shop to Grenadier and that's because there would not be enough servicing turn over to keep it viable.

I am surprised Fraser's added a vehicle mech shop to a motor bike repair yard.. very different to set and set up...
Ignition have some high end used cars they sell but other than that just sell Ineos.
From a separate business at a completely separate site they sell caravans.
I have found them to be really good to deal with however.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ignition have some high end used cars they sell but other than that just sell Ineos.
From a separate business at a completely separate site they sell caravans.
I have found them to be really good to deal with however.
Was ignition around the 950 mark for service also?

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not when you have a choice and drive to the Gold Coast. They will soon learn.
I'm collecting info on the parts, so far it looks like all consumables may be from BMW. I'm going to order 1 of each from SLV as they seem to be reasonable on price and then take them to my mechanic to see if they do in fact line up with BMW parts (as soon as I showed him a photo of the diesel/water filter he said it looked like it was from a BMW which he has a lot of experience with).

One known is the oil filter does line up with the BMW one, is common for both diesel & petrol and also used in the Toyota Supra which has a variant of the petrol BMW engine in it (it's basically a re-bodied BMW Z4).

Penrite does an oil that meets the specification as the Petronas diesel oil recommended in the book (along with a Shell alternative I've seen mentioned on an Ineos data sheet for international markets I found on this site). The Shell is slightly cheaper (at retail RRP, though the Ineos dealer charged me above Petronas RRP for my oil) and easy to find in AUS, the Penrite cheaper and easier to find again.

Diff oil commonly available here, a Fuchs product that I've found significantly cheaper at retail outlets here. And Penrite does a gear oil to the same specification for cheaper again.

For oils I don't see any issue with using other brands, provided they meet all specifications (not just weight etc, my mechanic ran me through all of this, if you're not sure talk to someone who is and will warranty any work they do!) and you buy from a brand that back ups their product, whether that be Petronas/Fuchs/Shell/Penrite etc. I wouldn't trust a no name oil that costs half the price but claims to meet specifications though (and my mechanic won't use it, if he can't get an oil that meets manufacturer spec he won't service the car)...

There are instances of specific oils being needed though! For anyone with a petrol Grenadier in AUS which I'm guessing there is very few of (probably lots of petrol ones in the US though), the oil is engine specific and there are no off-the-shelf alternatives (appears to be manufactured specifically for BMW by Fuchs), but can be bought from BMW and Toyota dealers for no doubt less than Ineos agents are trying to slug us...

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm collecting info on the parts, so far it looks like all consumables may be from BMW. I'm going to order 1 of each from SLV as they seem to be reasonable on price and then take them to my mechanic to see if they do in fact line up with BMW parts (as soon as I showed him a photo of the diesel/water filter he said it looked like it was from a BMW which he has a lot of experience with).

One known is the oil filter does line up with the BMW one, is common for both diesel & petrol and also used in the Toyota Supra which has a variant of the petrol BMW engine in it (it's basically a re-bodied BMW Z4).

Penrite does an oil that meets the specification as the Petronas diesel oil recommended in the book (along with a Shell alternative I've seen mentioned on an Ineos data sheet for international markets I found on this site). The Shell is slightly cheaper (at retail RRP, though the Ineos dealer charged me above Petronas RRP for my oil) and easy to find in AUS, the Penrite cheaper and easier to find again.

Diff oil commonly available here, a Fuchs product that I've found significantly cheaper at retail outlets here. And Penrite does a gear oil to the same specification for cheaper again.

For oils I don't see any issue with using other brands, provided they meet all specifications (not just weight etc, my mechanic ran me through all of this, if you're not sure talk to someone who is and will warranty any work they do!) and you buy from a brand that back ups their product, whether that be Petronas/Fuchs/Shell/Penrite etc. I wouldn't trust a no name oil that costs half the price but claims to meet specifications though (and my mechanic won't use it, if he can't get an oil that meets manufacturer spec he won't service the car)...

There are instances of specific oils being needed though! For anyone with a petrol Grenadier in AUS which I'm guessing there is very few of (probably lots of petrol ones in the US though), the oil is engine specific and there are no off-the-shelf alternatives (appears to be manufactured specifically for BMW by Fuchs), but can be bought from BMW and Toyota dealers for no doubt less than Ineos agents are trying to slug us...
Exactly what I am doing. There is a local BMW (not affiated) Diesel mech here who can do it all and I am obtaining a quote tomorrow.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

To help you, there is a thread on oil filters here, including third party filters.

A thread here on air filters. They all seem to be using Mahle air filters.

Thread here on rear diesel fuel filter.

Back
Top Bottom