The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Independent Event GRENADIER OCTOBERFEST MOAB

Migs

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:10 PM
Reaction score
i will probably be on 34s or 35s by then, have the springs already - just need to do the math and make sure i'll fit in my work garage

Brandtnm

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi All,
Any of these options you are bringing up are fair game and sound great. Currently things appear to be leaning towards the Montrose/rim rocker route. Seems like it’s 3 days and Adrenalin will need a date for coffee. We all have to be in Moab by 3ish on the 10th (as of today’s posted itinerary)
So that leaves a couple of days for play dates in the San Juan’s. Many of the passes down here in the four corners (like black bear) are a long day with likely weekend traffic. Also snow is common on the high passes in October. I’ll be leaving from Farmington NM likely, but I’ve got a few acres in the forest with plenty of camper space near purgatory ski resort which could make a Friday/Saturday pre-overland pre-rally assembly point. Then something like Hermosa creek - Bolam pass/ celebration lake -scotch creek - lizard head pass to Ophir or Imogene to Ouray to Montrose. Great thing down here is there is usually a paved road to bug out on and just go to Moab if the weather turns or someone (or their spouse) needs to bail out (and great hot springs in Ouray). If the snows come real early it’ll be S Utah BDR as a fallback position.
Thoughts/suggestions?

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Snow wont be an issue at that time, so anything would work. The high country is ok for camping up until the middle of October before it gets too cold for tents. The nice thing about that time of the year is less traffic. We could use your place, or any of my places to rally, its not a bad idea. I am off Highway 550 2.5 miles before Silverton or up 110 before the ski area.

Brandtnm

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Snow wont be an issue at that time, so anything would work. The high country is ok for camping up until the middle of October before it gets too cold for tents. The nice thing about that time of the year is less traffic. We could use your place, or any of my places to rally, its not a bad idea. I am off Highway 550 2.5 miles before Silverton or up 110 before the ski area.
You’re very right that that snow shouldn’t be an issue and traffic is lighter in the fall, but…it is never too cold for tents 😁(lived in Finland) However, like an umbrella, I’m bringing it up so the non-locals are prepared. And they need to know that in 2021 Silverton got its first dusting in September and the mtns east of Moab had light snow October 10 last year (white rim was a SLOPPY mess). Regardless, it’s overlanding so we should all be ready to camp in whatever comes. I’ll watch the weather, to be ready for tiki cocktails 🧉OR Bailey’s and hot Cocoa ☕️.

Thank you mtm4x4 so much for offering your land up! Those would make great start points for hurricane pass and Poughkeepsie over to ouray. Does anyone have land in the Motrose area? Or maybe Adrenaline will let camp on their lot by the corn field the night before ? Ideas/thoughts?

Thanks again too everyone for joining in to put real overlanding into this octoberfest rally. Warms the heart 🥹

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We do not need any private land, it was just a suggestion to meet up near Silverton somewhere. After that we can just camp on the trail like normal. Let me work on some ideas for a route.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here is an option, just to discuss;

Friday October 4th -- Meet in Silverton to Camp
Saturday October 5th -- Run Black Bear and Imogene -- Camp in the Camp Bird Area
Sunday October 6th - - Rim Rocker Trail -- Camp along Trail
Monday October 7th -- Rim Rocker Trail -- Camp Start of Kane Springs next to Creek at Hole n rock ( the tourist one) We would take an early exit from Rim Rocker, but I think its nothing interesting we would miss.
Tuesday October 8th -- Kane Springs Canyon -- Need a campsite as the the Government land closures are running north to south primarily as they ban overlanding. So we likely need to plan something on the south side of the River. We could pop up to a river side campsite that might still exist off Lockhart.
Wednesday October 9th -- Poison and Golden Spike camp? or head to the glamping motel portion of the trip? Sort of thinking the latter. The north side of the river has become a camping nightmare due to closures. To think I used to camp below Gemini Bridges and drive across both spans :mad:
Thursday October 10th -- Something simple to kill time before 3-5PM check in for Octoberfest
Friday - Saturday October 11-12 October Fest

Brandtnm

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Here is an option, just to discuss;

Friday October 4th -- Meet in Silverton to Camp
Saturday October 5th -- Run Black Bear and Imogene -- Camp in the Camp Bird Area
Sunday October 6th - - Rim Rocker Trail -- Camp along Trail
Monday October 7th -- Rim Rocker Trail -- Camp Start of Kane Springs next to Creek at Hole n rock ( the tourist one) We would take an early exit from Rim Rocker, but I think its nothing interesting we would miss.
Tuesday October 8th -- Kane Springs Canyon -- Need a campsite as the the Government land closures are running north to south primarily as they ban overlanding. So we likely need to plan something on the south side of the River. We could pop up to a river side campsite that might still exist off Lockhart.
Wednesday October 9th -- Poison and Golden Spike camp? or head to the glamping motel portion of the trip? Sort of thinking the latter. The north side of the river has become a camping nightmare due to closures. To think I used to camp below Gemini Bridges and drive across both spans :mad:
Thursday October 10th -- Something simple to kill time before 3-5PM check in for Octoberfest
Friday - Saturday October 11-12 October Fest
That all sounds great! And the land was just in case and mine remains available. The recent Moab changes are terrible! I too remember camping near, and driving over, Gemini with the Pinzgauer guys. Current urban office gov technocrats are just ruining the world.

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:10 AM
Reaction score
I'm interested in the pre-Moab overland trip but will need to do some more checking to see if I can swing the time off with work. I'm also not sure my wife will have the tolerance to deal with this trip in addition to the 4 days in Moab, so I would probably need to figure out the logistics to have her meet me in Moab. Those are my personal hurdles to overcome but I'm hopeful I can figure it all out.

If you are like me and not familiar with the "Rimrocker Trail", it has a cool website with interactive maps and good info:

Brandtnm

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm interested in the pre-Moab overland trip but will need to do some more checking to see if I can swing the time off with work. I'm also not sure my wife will have the tolerance to deal with this trip in addition to the 4 days in Moab, so I would probably need to figure out the logistics to have her meet me in Moab. Those are my personal hurdles to overcome but I'm hopeful I can figure it all out.

If you are like me and not familiar with the "Rimrocker Trail", it has a cool website with interactive maps and good info:

We’d love to have you along! My wife is coming so there will be some estrogen and red wine if that helps soothe her fears. And since it’s not formal you can jump in and out at any time. I suspect someone will post our antics so you’ll know where we are.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My wife will be along for sure, maybe my 12 year old. Personal hurdles...Got plenty of those as well, most go by the name of a "small business" :) As far as antics, I certainly hope my reputation does not proceed me to the Ineos community already! And if you are talking about making someone's rig make fart sounds out the tail pipe I will assure you they had it coming after wrapping my rig in plastic wrap at a motel!

cdlucas

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:10 PM
Reaction score
Wish I was closer, would love to be there. 20 hour drive from Western Kentucky..

ErnieB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Wish I was closer, would love to be there. 20 hour drive from Western Kentucky..
Just look at the drive as a warm up for the event! 😁 I'll be back east for a bit this summer and heading through Kentucky. Can you recommend any good spots for people-free camping?

cdlucas

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:10 PM
Reaction score
Just look at the drive as a warm up for the event! 😁 I'll be back east for a bit this summer and heading through Kentucky. Can you recommend any good spots for people-free camping?
I am new to the area as I am out here for a work assignment, I’m from Washington state so unfortunately I’m still discovering what all is out here myself. I’m in Western Kentucky so I am familiar with an area called Land Between the Lakes commonly referred to here as LBL, tons of camping but not sure you can find people free spots . Worth a look anyway

ErnieB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am new to the area as I am out here for a work assignment, I’m from Washington state so unfortunately I’m still discovering what all is out here myself. I’m in Western Kentucky so I am familiar with an area called Land Between the Lakes commonly referred to here as LBL, tons of camping but not sure you can find people free spots . Worth a look anyway
Thank you!! 👍

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looks like I cannot get started until Sunday night at the earliest. My Dad is coming for balloon Fiesta. So Friday and Saturday the first weekend I need to reserve for that.

brandt

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:10 PM
Reaction score
I'm picking the greny up this Friday. We'll be heading to Moab for this event! I'm looking forward to getting my favorite car out in my favorite place. Top of the World has a very special place in my heart. My good friend and I rode KTM640 Adventures across the Trans America Trail back in 2007 and our minds were blown at the Top of the World.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would love to do the TAT. Looking forward to chatting to you at the event!

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm 12 hours each way from my dealer, and I already drove that for an oil change once and am going back for my second one in a few weeks. 20 Hours for a bucket list trip shouldn't be a second thought! Unless you really can't make it, COME ON! Time for a road trip! We just drove to St. Augustine in May for a wedding. The Grenadier was great to drive across the country.

Back
Top Bottom