The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier almost killed me (or/and someone else)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:25 PM
Reaction score
There is no intrinsec "need" for modern vehicles to have critical electronics, and I really expected this from Ineos, given the "specialized" mantra of this vehicle.
That's not to say that I don't appreciate electronics. I am an engineer and software programmer myself, working in DevOps and Security. I like technology, if I can use it to my advantage. But I dislike it if it stands in my way. And tech stays in the way of productivity more than ever, recently. It kinda shifted the normal perspective of "the ends justify the means". In today's world, I feel that tech becomes the only purpose. I am sorry, but I don't understand this.
The only required critical tech from a vehicle is maybe an ECU, but that's also questionable given that Toyota still sells the 1HZ engine in their 70-series, which is a naturally aspirated pure mechanical engine.
And there is a plethora of non-critical tech, with non-intrusive failure paths, I don't mind having in my vehicle - ABS, TPMS, Airbags, infotainment, maybe climate control (if it's failure path is manual mode), TCM if it's and Auto. But that's it. This is where the list ends, at least from my perspective in regard to a vehicle that advertises itself to be dependable.

Not sure what is meant by Critical corner cases rendering lockers unusable:
1. Enabling offroad mode sometimes makes the vehicle throw a "front locker button malfunction". After this error, you are unable to activate offroad mode, and you cannot use lockers if not in offroad mode. You have to stop the car and wait 10 minutes for the system to enter sleep mode and clear the errors.
2. Any error whatsoever prevents using offroad mode (so you are unable to use lockers).
3. Climbing a slippery steep hill sometimes requires power, momentum and lockers engaged. Ineos is automatically disengaging lockers past 50km/h, which will put the driver in an unfortunate situation of loosing momentum and rolling down uncontrollably.
All lockers should be usable no matter if the car is in Hi/Low and irrespective of other systems malfunction, except for the lockers malfunction themselves. A locker should never disengage by itself. An audible alarm of exceeding speed would be enough.

In a nutshell, a dependable vehicle should not make decisions for the driver. That's my point. I want to be in control. And Ineos promised exactly this when they presented the Grenadier.
You do not need to be in off road mode to engage the lockers.

You'll never achieve the emission goals in the US and EU without an ECU. Even the UPS, Unit Pump System, engines need an ECU to control up to three injections and they were the first engines with pre- and post injections.. You'll not achieve this with mechanical stuff. Toyota considers itself as a global mobility provider. Thererfore they have to sense what particular markets needs and what the regulations allow. The engines of Toyota you speak of can't be sold everywhere in the world, but they are still produced for countries where they are needed, can be maintained and the regulations allow them.

If you want to have an "old" Land Cruiser HZJ imported into the EU it must come with a base technology that allows to upgrade them to EU regulations. Companys like Tom's Fahrzeugtechnik or Nestle (not the food company) import these cars and modify them (in Germany). However, even in the countries they are produced, like South Africa, the regulations get tight. It is possible, that these good old engines will disappear, as well.

I personaly like the engines from the 1990ty years most. They were matured, flawless and had no environmental technology which harm the engine, require sensor technology and ECU's.
The company which from my point of view managed it best, to keep engines easy while fulfilling regulations is Mazda. With their Skyactive engine (compression+ignition petrol engine) they managed to match regulations without an EGR. But as it gets more and more tight, they will also hit the limits.

Other electronic stuff is simply required by law. I always get mad when I enter the Hilux and first of all I have to shut down all things which get me crazy before I can enjoy the ride. That's why I love it so much to drive with my Land Rover Series 2a....Get in, press the starter knob and go. A steering wheel, brakes, a speedo, a clutch and a gearbox, light and wipers. That's it.
❤️
Yes
Some things are required by different countries laws.
Also the BMW engine comes with an ECU requirement

alexandruast

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:25 PM
Reaction score
You do not need to be in off road mode to engage the lockers.
In order to engage any electronically actuated locker on the IG (rear and/or front), the lock conditions need to be met: offroad mode enabled and central diff lock engaged. Only the central lock can be engaged without "lock conditions", because it's a mechanical one.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:25 AM
Reaction score
In order to engage any electronically actuated locker on the IG (rear and/or front), the lock conditions need to be met: offroad mode enabled and central diff lock engaged. Only the central lock can be engaged without "lock conditions", because it's a mechanical one.
Off road mode doesn’t need to be enabled to use the back and front lockers on my Grenadier. The only condition is that you are in low range and centre differential locked and of course no spinning wheels when attempting to engage the lockers. To use the front locker the rear has to be already engaged.

alexandruast

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:25 PM
Reaction score
Off road mode doesn’t need to be enabled to use the back and front lockers on my Grenadier. The only condition is that you are in low range and centre differential locked and of course no spinning wheels when attempting to engage the lockers. To use the front locker the rear has to be already engaged.
From what I recall, mine won't engage lockers without offroad mode. I think there are a few software variants, based on markets. For example, I can use the offroad aux lights anytime with the high beam (without being in offroad mode), and also the winch has no other requirements other than enabling the 500A toggle switch (no offroad mode or neutral required).

Back
Top Bottom