The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

GM LS V8 in a gren - yeah baby!

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:43 PM
Reaction score
I'm definitely interested in that if it ever becomes real and isn't priced into the stratosphere..!

What a combo. If course then we just have to get a much larger fuel tank but still, V8 power! đź’Ş
Source: https://www.goodwood.com/grr/event-coverage/festival-of-speed/ineos-grenadier-gets-bespoke-makeover/
Scroll down a bit for the minor point about engine.

Ineos bespoke design with it's focus minor alterations in the vein of mb's manufactur or jlr's range rover services is too much of a focus on the idle rich in the upper middle class for my taste, but this focus on engine and chassis work is interesting.

In fact I don't quite see the challenge with bespoke colors or materials, ita too much of that idea of affordable luxury but seriously what's the point really? It's not that unique nor does it let you personalize in any special way. Not that hard to do in the after market. Having said that doing changes to power train, chassis or suspension is much more interesting

Oh, and I like the new grill, looks pretty sharp.

Last edited:
Local time
1:43 AM
Reaction score
The engine that should have been in it, in the first place. Frankly, it ought to be cheaper, but wouldn’t be.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
The engine that should have been in it, in the first place. Frankly, it ought to be cheaper, but wouldn’t be.

Unfortunately the vast majority of the rest of the world doesn’t share the American fixation with the V8 engine and would prefer a diesel engine instead.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:43 AM
Reaction score
Have you seen the Defender V8, one with the Jag V8 and the other with the BMW V8 called Octa. If I could afford one the IG would be gone tomorrow. Awesome.

The negative they are too pricey, have the BMW in an M5 and its awesome.

Local time
Reaction score
Unfortunately the vast majority of the rest of the world doesn’t share the American fixation with the V8 engine and would prefer a diesel engine instead.
I clearly wasn’t referring to diesel when talking about a gas engine. The advantage of a v8 in this truck, is the block length of 4.5 cylinders moves the last header tube up and eliminates the the RHD hump, not for the power. A smaller displacement 4.7 or 5.3 ls would be fine too.

But on that subject, I’d rather an Isuzu for the diesel.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:43 PM
Reaction score

Agree………A big diesel V8 with a gazillion newton metres of torque!! Yuuuuummmm. 🥳

wolftimj

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’d like the supercharged V8 from our L405 in it. It’s been a reliable beast for 10 years under my care. Wife has basically the same motor in her F-type R too. They might have a bad rep, but have never given us an ounce of trouble. No Government Motors for me.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Diesel is dead in America after the VW fiasco unless it's in a full ton truck. Real heavy duty trucks still have diesel but that's about it. Sure you can find diesel in other things than trucks in America but it's a rounding error in the market. Cost wise the cost of fuel is about the same even though the mileage differ.

But what you get in America is that every shade tree mechanic can work on a GM LS V8. It's cheap to modify with tons and tons of aftermarket parts. That's what is so great with a GM LS V8 offering in Ineos largest market.

Jiman01

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
IMHO for its intended purpose as an over landing vehicle, the 6 is preferred for a gasoline engine. The 6 has better range and less engine weight = more cargo capacity. I agree the v8 sounds better, has better road performance, and just stirs the soul, but for the extra cost, and practical downsides I don’t think it’s worth it unless it’s primarily going to be used as a street vehicle.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think serviceability in remote areas is a real thing. Even in back country in America can I find a GM mechanic. Bmw is a different ballgame.

But you're 100% right in your range and weight points.
I'm generally fine with the bmw engine. Had a bimmer 5 series before and it's easy to get serviced in metropolitan areas. Rural was much harder.

wolftimj

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
While the VW fiasco was some impact, the math of diesel changed drastically over here. I own a fleet of formerly diesel vehicles, mainly Ford. When EPA changed requirements forcing manufacturers to add DEF to comply, the resulting engines became less reliable and more expensive to operate. The price of diesel in Europe made it more profitable for the oil companies to send all they made over there elevating prices over here (from college buddy who works the Valero trading desk). All these things combined caused us to switch the fleet to gas, which I firmly believe would have driven us out of business had we not. Anyway, a different perspective on it.

Lars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Some people can never have enough...I get it.
You should call John Brindell at Agile Offroad before getting too excited about big displacement. He offers a tuner for the B58 and has dyno tested his truck and proven a significant increase in torque and HP at the wheels.

ecohen2

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:43 PM
Reaction score
Will the transmission handle the increase?
I suspect that will be swapped as well.

So far I am happy with the gas BMW-6.. The transmission could have taller gears after 4th, but that is just me.

Lars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Will the transmission handle the increase?
I'm sure it depends on the exact version we have, but the ZF website specs the ZF8HP handling up to 1000 Nm, so an increase from our stock 450Nm should be no problem.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm sure it depends on the exact version we have, but the ZF website specs the ZF8HP handling up to 1000 Nm, so an increase from our stock 450Nm should be no problem.
The petrol version cannot handle much more than stock. I forget the numbers (there here somewhere) but the diesel version can handle much more T and HP.

Local time
Reaction score
A 5.3 ls engine has 6 bolt mains, is cheaper to produce, has the same nominal weight, (choice of iron or Al block) can be had tuned from 270 to 500 hp na without any expense difference, gets better fuel efficiency, and fits in an engine bay originally designed for a v config engine because it’s remarkably compact. (Which this was) It’s reliable and it’s durable.

Gm engine is all win, unless you buy “badges” and don’t know what you’re talking about.

Back
Top Bottom