The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

GM LS V8 in a gren - yeah baby!

Local time
9:34 PM
Reaction score
All this having been said, I wouldn't spend MORE for a v8 engine. 300hp is perfectly adequate. It would just be lining the pockets of ineos. Think about it. Jeep started tossing v8's into wranglers and charging 20g more for that than the pickup it came out of. Pure marketing gravy.

Local time
Reaction score
They could squeeze another 100hp out of the current engine for 380 which would be a nice improvement and minimal changes

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:34 AM
Reaction score
This was the comment I was answering.
View attachment 7863669
That's the genius of the current ZF 8HP transmission: its modular design provides a range of ZF 'off-the-shelf' components which can be swapped over to increase/decrease the power/torque ratings dependent on the design requirements...

Local time
Reaction score
That's the genius of the current ZF 8HP transmission: its modular design provides a range of ZF 'off-the-shelf' components which can be swapped over to increase/decrease the power/torque ratings dependent on the design requirements...
That is they mystery as to why they used the weaker unit to begin with. If the goal is overbuilt, and the weight and budget are already porky, and mpg isn't gonna win any CAFE friends either way, I wonder how much they really saved. Would they have had to make changes to the output side of the engine? There must have been something besides the cost delta of the transmission.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:34 PM
Reaction score
A 5.3 ls engine has 6 bolt mains, is cheaper to produce, has the same nominal weight, (choice of iron or Al block) can be had tuned from 270 to 500 hp na without any expense difference, gets better fuel efficiency, and fits in an engine bay originally designed for a v config engine because it’s remarkably compact. (Which this was) It’s reliable and it’s durable.

Gm engine is all win, unless you buy “badges” and don’t know what you’re talking about.
Generally if you want to go fast get a V8 (or V10 or V-12) but if you want to haul heavy items or are pulling a trailer get a Diesel. I will stand by my original statement: "I would rather have a Cummins straight six diesel than any POS General Motors engine" as it fits my situation better than a need for speed does. You may want to go really fast but, that does not seem to be a good fit for the Ineos Grenadier. I will take low speed and high torque any day over unneeded speed. But hey, if you want a V8 go for an engine and transmission swap. Please post pictures if you do it and tell us about performance too.

Local time
Reaction score
Generally if you want to go fast get a V8 (or V10 or V-12) but if you want to haul heavy items or are pulling a trailer get a Diesel. I will stand by my original statement: "I would rather have a Cummins straight six diesel than any POS General Motors engine" as it fits my situation better than a need for speed does. You may want to go really fast but, that does not seem to be a good fit for the Ineos Grenadier. I will take low speed and high torque any day over unneeded speed. But hey, if you want a V8 go for an engine and transmission swap. Please post pictures if you do it and tell us about performance too.
Physics don’t care about yo’ opinions.

Local time
8:34 PM
Reaction score
So is the V8 a possibility?

And, in the event the diesel comes to the US and has the power, then we can evaluate that aspect for towing?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom