The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

External sun visor

Local time
10:13 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone yet seen an aftermarket external sun visor?

I’ve seen a few prototypes for roof-mounted lights in a moulding, but nothing to stop those lights (or the sun in daytime) spilling into the driver’s vision. An external sun visor, or an extended visor from the roof-mounted lights, would be a nice addition.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:13 PM
Reaction score

I’ve seen a few prototypes for roof-mounted lights in a moulding, but nothing to stop those lights (or the sun in daytime) spilling into the driver’s vision. An external sun visor, or an extended visor from the roof-mounted lights, would be a nice addition.
I thought they stopped putting external sun visors on cars when my father was a young feller.
1686944794664.png1686944843123.png

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Its already a near vertical screen, which helps a lot. The windage of a visor is a pretty big penalty; maybe youd be better off using a strip of heavy tint, as per trucks and many outback utes?

Wayneos

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Didn’t they go out with button up boots!

Local time
Reaction score
Alright you blokes, call me old fashioned if you will, but I kind of like the visor on our Series III (which has about the same windscreen angle), and I think it has utility in stopping the light bar on the roof rack from spilling onto the bonnet.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:13 AM
Reaction score
I think I have one somewhere on the spare parts shelf...never actually fitted to any LR...

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Alright you blokes, call me old fashioned if you will, but I kind of like the visor on our Series III (which has about the same windscreen angle), and I think it has utility in stopping the light bar on the roof rack from spilling onto the bonnet.
I'm old fashioned as well, but really taste also comes into it. 🤣

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ok
Old fashioned if you will

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m old fashioned as well.

I got the guys at Toyota to fit an external sunvisor to my LC200, but the silly buggers put it on the wrong end of my vehicle….

IMG_4121.jpeg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:13 AM
Reaction score
Then you don't need a retarder parachute any more,

When I saw ASPW having (had?) one of these on a Toyota, I heard a voice saying "you don't need this".

Local time
Reaction score
You blokes are a tough audience!

Here are a couple of pics from recent YouTube videos of light options above the windscreen in UK and Germany. The one with the round lights is by Letech. The other is Urban Automotive.
IMG_3008.pngIMG_3010.png
Surely there is a market for a shade to stop these shining in the driver’s eyes?

Letech do one for the G Class that is a visor and wind deflector for the roof rack (https://lennartz-technik.de/en/prod...ies/wind-deflector-for-roof-rack-463a-nr-7096). Pic also attached.
IMG_3011.jpeg
And @DCPU, if you are serious about having an unused Series one in the shed, DM me!

Reactions: PBD

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:13 PM
Reaction score
All three of those are nice setups. Not sure which I like best.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had an Ariel Nomad and the spots were really for show as they would provide too much glare when on. So the only purpose is show or when stationary for work light. Do look good though!

Nomad - 1 (1).jpeg

Nomad - 1.jpeg

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:13 AM
Reaction score
I once had some VERY GOOD lights on the roof - almost in the front of the roof. So I had the problem, that I got some BAD reflections on the engine bonnet. You have to mount the lights some (20-30) Centimeters more behind, so that the light shines over your bonnet, so you have no reflections there. (For the first ten meters in front of your car you better use/mount some lights in the front of your car.) :cool:

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I once had some VERY GOOD lights on the roof - almost in the front of the roof. So I had the problem, that I got some BAD reflections on the engine bonnet. You have to mount the lights some (20-30) Centimeters more behind, so that the light shines over your bonnet, so you have no reflections there. (For the first ten meters in front of your car you better use/mount some lights in the front of your car.) :cool:
Makes perfect sense to avoid the glare!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Or perhaps fit some anti glare shields:
Screenshot_20230625_070103.jpg

Back
Top Bottom