The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Don't buy a Grenadier (Steering pump noise and HVAC issues)

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:22 AM
Reaction score
So, you're saying that I shouldn't have bought mine?

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
Still taking the risk for the coolness and the bombproof drivetrain. Then again I drive a Power Wagon and a 1996 Montero on 38s as well :LOL:

Reactions: Max

Jiman01

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine too make a high pitch whine that is very noticeable at idle. I figured its because the power steering pump is electric and not belt driven. I agree with blender fan and the high pitch whistle. It is quite obnoxious. I have just decided what settings I can or can't use when on high to avoid this issue. And although annoying, they aren't faults that I feel warrant not buying a vehicle.
Would you or the OP post a video of the pump noise?

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:22 AM
Reaction score
Clearly everyone has a different vehicle, dealer and experience. However, the vast majority of people have solid vehicles with zero or very minor issues that have been sorted out by their dealer.

The people that have issues resulting in them abandoning the brand entirely (at least in the USA) have no idea how to communicate with their dealer, don’t know their legal rights and local laws and simply accept the issues they have. The reality is that as consumers, we have ALOT of protection for manufacturing defects and dealers and the manufacturer has a strong legal obligation to repair or replace.

I have seen numerous people on this forum debate and complain about issues that are clearly covered under a warranty as if they have zero support at all. It is as if many people here have no experience buying a new car off a dealers lot and experience with warranty issues.

As for me, no big problems. Love my Ineos and wish I could buy another to squirrel away as a classic! Simply love it. Knauz in Lake Forest did great and my experience positive. Bigger gas tank, sure, I would love that.

Relax folks, just go back to the dealer and demand your consumer rights.

Last edited:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:22 AM
Reaction score
I've loved everything about the philosophy behind the Grenadier. 1,500 miles in and it's great off-road, looks great on road, and tows 6k pounds like a dream. I was willing to overlook the embarrassingly bad software that means button presses don't get recognized, it takes 30 seconds every time to turn off the speed clicker, and Android Auto disconnects every time you cross a lane line without the turn signal on.

But I've got to say you shouldn't buy one. My power steering pump makes a horrible whine that keeps me from driving with the windows down. (A separate whistle from the blend door prevents running the AC on full.) I get so many great comments when the engine is off. But when it's running, everyone asks me about the embarrassing, obviously-not-right whine from the pump. IA has told my dealer it's normal, even though some of them don't make it and no other vehicle I've ever heard makes this sound unless the lines weren't bled or the vane is going out.

Others on the forum have the same problem. Unlike the software and blend door, which IA acknowledges and promises a future fix, they are refusing to consider this obvious defect a problem. And that means the warranty is not worth anything.

So I gotta say regretfully, if you are on the fence, don't buy it.
Hi Idahogrenadier, Certain things can be very annoying to the point they take your joy away. Although I have not experienced power steering whine, if I did and it was intrusive, then I would be disappointed enough to fight for a replacement, even if with another dealer. I have the boot wash, less then ideal HVAC, speed limiter clicking and a few other items. To me these items are not deal killers in any way. Yes it would be great if I did not have them, however I have leaned into the experience of owning a Grenadier and feel that it is just part of it's personality. Hopefully fixes will come around to make them more ideal, however if not I am willing to put up with them to go along with the Sir Jim Ratcliffe Adventure of a lifetime. Now, intrusive power steering whine all the time could change my tune. The very best of luck getting this sorted out. DaBull

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Idahogrenadier, Certain things can be very annoying to the point they take your joy away. Although I have not experienced power steering whine, if I did and it was intrusive, then I would be disappointed enough to fight for a replacement, even if with another dealer. I have the boot wash, less then ideal HVAC, speed limiter clicking and a few other items. To me these items are not deal killers in any way. Yes it would be great if I did not have them, however I have leaned into the experience of owning a Grenadier and feel that it is just part of it's personality. Hopefully fixes will come around to make them more ideal, however if not I am willing to put up with them to go along with the Sir Jim Ratcliffe Adventure of a lifetime. Now, intrusive power steering whine all the time could change my tune. The very best of luck getting this sorted out. DaBull
My 7 year old calls it a Cheeky little SUV because of the quirks.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I do find my whine a bit annoying and actually believe it might be the fuel pump. When I accelerate I find the whine to increase then decrease as I ease off the throttle. I find it reminiscent of a Semi-Truck.

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:22 AM
Reaction score
Some regulars on this forum have swallowed too many Ineos Blue pills and are so deep in the Matrix that anyone's experience or opinion that's different than theirs is immediately disparaged. As politicians say, Sad.
Any forum you go to is the same, they have their own "pills" too.
There are yappers and doers.
I prefer the doers who try to solve problems wherein Ineos is slow to respond.
And here you'll find a lot of doers (specially those coming from the old school LR or LC forums).
I grew up (with my late father) in the remote areas/jungles of Papua New Guinea, no yapping/complaining there, but to figure out how to solve problems.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:22 PM
Reaction score
I do find my whine a bit annoying and actually believe it might be the fuel pump. When I accelerate I find the whine to increase then decrease as I ease off the throttle. I find it reminiscent of a Semi-Truck.
Is it present at idle, and is it coming from the engine compartment? I'm thinking a turbo bearing ( or waste gate) as a possibility

fredp45069

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm familiar with that sound and I think the whine you are hearing is the Turbo.
(BMW B58) The turbocharger is a twin-scroll design, for more efficient power delivery with less turbo lag and more power than a conventional single turbocharger.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:22 PM
Reaction score
I've loved everything about the philosophy behind the Grenadier. 1,500 miles in and it's great off-road, looks great on road, and tows 6k pounds like a dream. I was willing to overlook the embarrassingly bad software that means button presses don't get recognized, it takes 30 seconds every time to turn off the speed clicker, and Android Auto disconnects every time you cross a lane line without the turn signal on.

But I've got to say you shouldn't buy one. My power steering pump makes a horrible whine that keeps me from driving with the windows down. (A separate whistle from the blend door prevents running the AC on full.) I get so many great comments when the engine is off. But when it's running, everyone asks me about the embarrassing, obviously-not-right whine from the pump. IA has told my dealer it's normal, even though some of them don't make it and no other vehicle I've ever heard makes this sound unless the lines weren't bled or the vane is going out.

Others on the forum have the same problem. Unlike the software and blend door, which IA acknowledges and promises a future fix, they are refusing to consider this obvious defect a problem. And that means the warranty is not worth anything.

So I gotta say regretfully, if you are on the fence, don't buy it.
CLICK BAIT and no more posts from the OP......ignore this thread!

Tcon82

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have the same whine but can tell you that between my test drive and waiting to buy my car (took 3 hours because dealer was busy that day) I sat on the lot and watched Rusnak in Socal move 15-20 cars in and out either for test drives or to sell/move them. Every one of the vehicles that they turned on had the whine. I know some people have not experienced it at all but figured i would share my experience that based on the sample set I saw it is at least more common to have the whine than not. The whine doesn't bug me near enough to not like the car but that is a personal preference. Some have said that the whine reduces over time. I would be curious to know if anyone has experienced this and how many miles they currently have on the car.

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:22 AM
Reaction score
I suspect Ineos will come out with a sound deadening shroud over the electric hydraulic power steering fluid pump to mitigate its whine. Of course the sound coming from the turbo is a different whine and one that some users accentuate and enjoy.

Last edited:

IdahoGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
Most of us have no significant issues. I might start a "totally happy and you must buy a Grenadier" thread 😁
My concern is less that I am having a specific problem and more that the response has been "they all do that". Sounds like yours doesn't. I bought a first model year FJ Cruiser, which I still have and have daily driven for 17 years. When you are going to be an early adopter, you need to trust the company, which this experience has left me unable to do.

Back
Top Bottom