The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

CTEK Smartpass 120S smart alternator feed

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:17 PM
Reaction score
My fridge is connected directly to main battery and when camping we only close doors to first click so never fully shut and doesn’t initiate interior lights or ecu We only fully shut and lock as little as possible to save battery
Understood.

Where we go you usually have millions of mosquitos and midges, so everything you can seal, is sealed. ;)

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:17 PM
Reaction score
Guys, The auxillary battery supplied in the Trialmaster is only a AGM (glass matt) 105amp, ext to being useless on accessories such as an efficient car tub fridge. On a recent trip to outback QLD, I had to throw away $150+ of frozen food.
Therefore its only good for approx. 50amp hrs or so (until voltage drops below 12v) typical AGM. The way its wired is weired too. Its ONLY purpose is to support the starter battery. The Dashboard electrical info only shows used/charge rate and doesnt even seperate starter/auxillary batteries. So you are still flying blind! I added a VICTRON 500amp smartshunt to monitor the auxiallry battery on the trip, It monitors the srater seperatly. $150 shunt via bluetooth! Why coudnt INEOS provide this? INEOS didnt really do their homework on loads or capacity even average usage. We need this for remote travel what the Greandier is built for.
Dont understand using a CTEK Smartpass 120s (12 year old design) I guess its still made in the UK. It lacks capabilities most now offer like VICTRON or ENERDRIVE etc). VICTRON proviide a Litnium Phosphate LiPo 210 Ah (2400 watts)close to same size of the underseat AGM auxillary. Other wierd stuff, there is only 1 USB-C socket for Android Auto!!! Most other manufacturers offer Bluetooth for Android and IoS. However I decided forget re-wiring the Grenadier for accessories. I am grabbing the new BLUETTI AC200L Portable Power Station instead (operate via mobile). Quicker easier to setup, cheaper to install, comes with everything and packs like a small suitcase. Then separately wire up for all those extra accessoires, fused etc. (and 50amp Anderson sockets). Then can be used outside the car, replace later as future tech generations offers even more. (like 24v to 48v etc).
Selling the Grenadier a few years back, for easily adding accessories isnt quiet as easy as is sold, let alone we are still without true wiring diagrams and manuals.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:17 PM
Reaction score
Guys, The auxillary battery supplied in the Trialmaster is only a AGM (glass matt) 105amp, ext to being useless on accessories such as an efficient car tub fridge. On a recent trip to outback QLD, I had to throw away $150+ of frozen food.
Therefore its only good for approx. 50amp hrs or so (until voltage drops below 12v) typical AGM. The way its wired is weired too. Its ONLY purpose is to support the starter battery. The Dashboard electrical info only shows used/charge rate and doesnt even seperate starter/auxillary batteries. So you are still flying blind! I added a VICTRON 500amp smartshunt to monitor the auxiallry battery on the trip, It monitors the srater seperatly. $150 shunt via bluetooth! Why coudnt INEOS provide this? INEOS didnt really do their homework on loads or capacity even average usage. We need this for remote travel what the Greandier is built for.
Dont understand using a CTEK Smartpass 120s (12 year old design) I guess its still made in the UK. It lacks capabilities most now offer like VICTRON or ENERDRIVE etc). VICTRON proviide a Litnium Phosphate LiPo 210 Ah (2400 watts)close to same size of the underseat AGM auxillary. Other wierd stuff, there is only 1 USB-C socket for Android Auto!!! Most other manufacturers offer Bluetooth for Android and IoS. However I decided forget re-wiring the Grenadier for accessories. I am grabbing the new BLUETTI AC200L Portable Power Station instead (operate via mobile). Quicker easier to setup, cheaper to install, comes with everything and packs like a small suitcase. Then separately wire up for all those extra accessoires, fused etc. (and 50amp Anderson sockets). Then can be used outside the car, replace later as future tech generations offers even more. (like 24v to 48v etc).
Selling the Grenadier a few years back, for easily adding accessories isnt quiet as easy as is sold, let alone we are still without true wiring diagrams and manuals.
Not invalidating the points you're making OG, but both batteries are EFB (Enhanced Flooded Battery) - unless there has been a recent spec change?
EFB is better than AGM but for a house battery no one will argue that Lithium is better again.
I think customer expectation has been an issue with the 2nd battery. I saw it in the configurator and assumed it would be a conventional starter and house battery setup with all loads except the winch connected to the 2nd, or 'auxiliary' battery. I think many made the same assumption because that's how 2nd batteries are always configured, right? Unfortunately there was no information to confirm this so we all got a surprise when vehicles started being delivered that are different to what we had assumed and anticipated.
Ineos are using the auxiliary battery as a parallel battery to provide additional AH to back up and protect the main battery. The Smartpass manages the auxiliary battery (and pulses the main battery, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom