The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

CB radio in overhead panel

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:43 AM
Reaction score
The UHF units popular in Oz move the display to the speaker/microphone handset, so the only visible install elements are an ethernet port and handset hanger, with the unit itself tucked away out of sight. I gather that doesn’t help you much.

The greater issue might be that the dash it is not as modular as it appears. As bemoaned elsewhere, it is a single piece fascia.
The overhead panel isn’t either it seems. There is a kind of joke video out there that includes some vision of the overhead panel with one of the sections missing but it looks like there os a solid panel underneath with the switch bases etc set into it.

Local time
9:43 AM
Reaction score
While at the Prototype drive in Arizona last week another reservation holder/participant asked this question and the IA rep pulled down the roof switch cover. It is one piece and all plastic and pretty thin and flexible to a degree, behind the various switches are attached. It snaps on with standard automotive trim plastic clips into the roof or headliner supports as one piece. I do not know how much room there is behind and above the panel. I was standing in the open passenger door and did not hop in to look up in the cavity into which the switch panel goes. I do not think it could hold much weight, such as Ham Radio head unit without improved attachment connectors and possibly reinforcement, nor if this in the final trim panel or is a mockup made for the Prototypes? Possibly some early delivery owners in Europe or OZ can provide more details for you in the near future.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
While at the Prototype drive in Arizona last week another reservation holder/participant asked this question and the IA rep pulled down the roof switch cover. It is one piece and all plastic and pretty thin and flexible to a degree, behind the various switches are attached. It snaps on with standard automotive trim plastic clips into the roof or headliner supports as one piece. I do not know how much room there is behind and above the panel. I was standing in the open passenger door and did not hop in to look up in the cavity into which the switch panel goes. I do not think it could hold much weight, such as Ham Radio head unit without improved attachment connectors and possibly reinforcement, nor if this in the final trim panel or is a mockup made for the Prototypes? Possibly some early delivery owners in Europe or OZ can provide more details for you in the near future.
A pity I was rather hoping that the Allen key bolts were real and each panel could be removed individually.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A pity I was rather hoping that the Allen key bolts were real and each panel could be removed individually.
I'm wondering if it might be feasible (and reasonable $wise) to have the overhead panel scanned and laser cut /engraved using 3mm brushed aluminium. Same with the centre console...

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it might be feasible (and reasonable $wise) to have the overhead panel scanned and laser cut /engraved using 3mm brushed aluminium. Same with the centre console...
I am sure once the bling merchants get into the game there will be all sorts of carbon fibre replacements with gold leaf lettering available

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bring it on!:LOL:
However, being firmly in the "function before form" camp, a centre console particularly, a metal panel, where the set screws were "real" offers a practical opportunity to utilise the space where provision has been made for switches but where the option is not fitted to the vehicle (e.g. heated seats). Nevertheless, depending on the nature of the plastic panel it may be sufficiently strong to install other options... USB ports etc

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I am sure once the bling merchants get into the game there will be all sorts of carbon fibre replacements with gold leaf lettering available
I will probably get a burl walnut veneered panel made up to match my saddle leather trim.
I may also install a small writing desk in a similar finish.
And Chesterfield front seats.

Local time
Reaction score

I think that was me. I was pretty surprised that the Ineos rep told us to pull the panel down and look.

My impression is that there was enough space between the roof and headliner panel to fit a radio face plate and run wiring. That'll be my plan at least.

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:43 PM
Reaction score
Regarding ham radio mounts - I am yet to do it but I have a LIDO mount ready for both an HF and a 2/70 radio - face off radios both (IC 7000 and Yaesu FT400). Antennas will mount neatly to roof bars or gutters and the only thing I am not sure of yet is the actual route for power and coax etc - that fun is to come but I am not drilling holes!! https://www.lidoradio.com/

Local time
Reaction score
I think that was me. I was pretty surprised that the Ineos rep told us to pull the panel down and look.

My impression is that there was enough space between the roof and headliner panel to fit a radio face plate and run wiring. That'll be my plan at least.
Me too, it may be able to support a radio face plate, I didn't even take a good look at the "snap connectors". He did tell us the hex head screws are real, just not sure if they hold anything together or allow portions of the facia to be removed? I am a HAM radio guy and haven't looked to see if there is an APP you can link to Android Auto or Apple Car play? My off road vehicles , '02 G500 and '02 Ford F350 are way to dated to have looked into it. Sorry I was so amped up, should have had the de-cafe on my 7 hour journey to attend!

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Regarding ham radio mounts - I am yet to do it but I have a LIDO mount ready for both an HF and a 2/70 radio - face off radios both (IC 7000 and Yaesu FT400). Antennas will mount neatly to roof bars or gutters and the only thing I am not sure of yet is the actual route for power and coax etc - that fun is to come but I am not drilling holes!! https://www.lidoradio.com/
Would a ‘gutter mount’ antenna for a 2/70 radio be of the “No Ground Plane Required” type?

Local time
Reaction score
Me too, it may be able to support a radio face plate, I didn't even take a good look at the "snap connectors". He did tell us the hex head screws are real, just not sure if they hold anything together or allow portions of the facia to be removed? I am a HAM radio guy and haven't looked to see if there is an APP you can link to Android Auto or Apple Car play? My off road vehicles , '02 G500 and '02 Ford F350 are way to dated to have looked into it. Sorry I was so amped up, should have had the de-cafe on my 7 hour journey to attend!
Kf6MDZ

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
Stepping back a bit.

Does anyone have any thoughts about other mounting positions for a CB/UHF radio Specifically for one of the remote head UHF units that are popular in Australia? Possible locations I'm thinking about include behind the lower dash panels,at the back of the centre console in the cubby hole or even in the battery area under the rear seat.

For antenna co-ax cables does anyone know where to run the cable through the firewall for a front mounted antenna and if there are cable entry points in the roof, perhaps in the roof mounted aux power outlet boxes?

Cheers Steve

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Stepping back a bit.

Does anyone have any thoughts about other mounting positions for a CB/UHF radio Specifically for one of the remote head UHF units that are popular in Australia? Possible locations I'm thinking about include behind the lower dash panels,at the back of the centre console in the cubby hole or even in the battery area under the rear seat.

For antenna co-ax cables does anyone know where to run the cable through the firewall for a front mounted antenna and if there are cable entry points in the roof, perhaps in the roof mounted aux power outlet boxes?

Cheers Steve
I am looking at putting it in the passenger’s footwell area, so I can access power, the antenna through the firewall but I still need to work out fuse location (I probably will do it separately from fuse box). The UHF mics will be mounted on the centre console (but I cannot figure exactly where at the moment).

In my Nissan Patrol both UHF head units were on the transmission tunnel under the carpet right next to the driver’s left leg (right hand drive vehicle). It worked well, so I will try something similar in the IG, but maybe on the passenger’s side.

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Would a ‘gutter mount’ antenna for a 2/70 radio be of the “No Ground Plane Required” type?
No - a gutter mount is grounded - but aluminium is not a great ground - I have been running gutter and through body mounts on LR Defenders for many years - bonding the chassis and exhaust is a good idea though. I will be taking my time to do the set up and will probably put it on my YT channel when done. I am not a fan of drilling into the IG just yet!. Will use the roof bars for my HF set up. More to follow on this I am sure.

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
No - a gutter mount is grounded - but aluminium is not a great ground - I have been running gutter and through body mounts on LR Defenders for many years - bonding the chassis and exhaust is a good idea though. I will be taking my time to do the set up and will probably put it on my YT channel when done. I am not a fan of drilling into the IG just yet!. Will use the roof bars for my HF set up. More to follow on this I am sure.
i agree about electrical grounding/bonding, but my other concern with an antenna positioned at the edge of the roof is lack of (or at least a very asymmetric) radio ground plane under the antenna. To this end, there are antennas that do not require a “ground plane”.

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
i agree about electrical grounding/bonding, but my other concern with an antenna positioned at the edge of the roof is lack of (or at least a very asymmetric) radio ground plane under the antenna. To this end, there are antennas that do not require a “ground plane”.
You are correct with this - having the antenna at one corner does skew the radiation pattern (towards the opposite corner) and leads to some small loss of dB. It is imperceptible really but centre of the roof is best technically. I have not used a no ground plane antenna

These figures are for 800MHz

1687430775077.png
1687431354790.png

Back
Top Bottom