The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

CB radio in overhead panel

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:23 PM
Reaction score
Hi folks,

in the overhead panel is one blind spot. Do you think that it is possible to place a CB radio there?

Best.
Patrick

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:23 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=The real heir userid=8998860 postid=1332745749]Hi folks,

in the overhead panel is one blind spot. Do you think that it is possible to place a CB radio there?

Best.
Patrick[/QUOTE]

Not sure but i had the same thought

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Just put a solid steering wheel lock on your Grenadier. This is a real show stopper for thieves.

simonpa

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:23 PM
Reaction score
In UK check out this one - Milenco High Security steering wheel lock .... it's very solid and a good deterrent.

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@emax and @simonpa Thank you, but isn't it a little ot?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Ähm, seems I have hit the wrong thread ... ?

Sorry.

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No Problem ?

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:23 AM
Reaction score
While a CB/ GMRS/ Ham faceplate might fit in there length and width wise I don’t think there will  be enough depth. Marine we could 3D print a mount plate so that the unit sits a bit proud but still fits nicely overhead.  

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Look at the thickness of the roof around the safari windows. If there is no constructive obstruction behind the panel you might be lucky.

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Paachi 3d Print would be an option. But Inprefer a solid aluminium mount. And there are radios on the market which only have a few centimeters depth. So I hope, as you, that there is enoug space.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
An insight to the construction above the overhead panel. Screenshot from a youtube video.

There is a recess which might help to integrate a small device. And if I see the cross members there might be even more space.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220603_170509.jpg
    Screenshot_20220603_170509.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 193
Last edited by a moderator:

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@emax Thank you for the screenshot. I think there should be enough space…

Local time
Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting a ham radio under a front seat and mounting the faceplate on a gooseneck, so it will be available adjacent to the center console.  I'd done that once in a 4Runner. Hopefully one of the overhead power switch connections will work.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Best.
Patrick
Does that blank spot serve any real purpose? Did INEOS simply put it there for decoration or maybe a future option? It does look perfect for a CB or similar.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wasn' in CB for a very long time. However considering it again as - backup communications. Regulation now seems loosended. The time I remember was 12 channels AM and 0.5W PEP in Germany. in the meantime more power, more channels and SSB is now permitted. Are there any radios with detachable operational panels available? IG does not provide standard slots for add on devices like in buses or HGV.

Local time
9:23 AM
Reaction score
Sounds like a great spot for a HAM radio faceplate. I wonder how difficult it will be to have a cat 6 cable run from the overhead console to a remote head unit under the seat or in the electronics compartment in the rear? I use the B-Tech UV50x3 as I can set it up as a crossband repeater when needed

Local time
5:23 PM
Reaction score
Hi All, I signed up to specifically ask the “where can you mount a ham radio?” question and i was glad to see that there was already a thread.

I’m not sure if I like the idea of having the head unit at the top, it will be difficult to see the screen while you are driving.

@JBArizona ‘s idea of a gooseneck solution for the head unit would work. I was thinking whether the front console can be “reworked”, perhaps with smaller buttons, so that space becomes available for a ham radio head unit or other projects for that matter.

Also, does anyone know if buttons like the stop-start can be moved to the overhead panel?

If anyone has fitted a CB or a DMR/VHF/UHF/HF radio it would be great to post some pics here!

Local time
Reaction score
Plenty of room on the dash in front of driver...since the gauges are in the center

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:23 AM
Reaction score
Hi All, I signed up to specifically ask the “where can you mount a ham radio?” question and i was glad to see that there was already a thread.

I’m not sure if I like the idea of having the head unit at the top, it will be difficult to see the screen while you are driving.

@JBArizona ‘s idea of a gooseneck solution for the head unit would work. I was thinking whether the front console can be “reworked”, perhaps with smaller buttons, so that space becomes available for a ham radio head unit or other projects for that matter.

Also, does anyone know if buttons like the stop-start can be moved to the overhead panel?

If anyone has fitted a CB or a DMR/VHF/UHF/HF radio it would be great to post some pics here
The UHF units popular in Oz move the display to the speaker/microphone handset, so the only visible install elements are an ethernet port and handset hanger, with the unit itself tucked away out of sight. I gather that doesn’t help you much.

The greater issue might be that the dash it is not as modular as it appears. As bemoaned elsewhere, it is a single piece fascia.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:23 AM
Reaction score
I considered this when I recently looked at an INEOS Grenadier Trailmaster. My answer was no, because the Trailmaster has the aux power option using those "spares" slots.

I do not think the UHF unit would fit anyway in the space if it was spare, but it may.

When the next model comes out, INEOS might like to extend the roof console to allow the owner to install a UHF radio unit there.

Back
Top Bottom