The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Aurora Borealis happening now!

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:24 AM
Reaction score
Get outside if you live somewhere North and without too much light pollution.
IMG_5411.jpeg

DoubleDoom

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Getting it in East Suffolk as well. It rarely comes down this low. Luckily we are rural with no light pollution and get to see some great skies.

Back in Black

GG-6681
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:24 AM
Reaction score
My daughter is seeing it now, she just sent me some pics. She's just to the west of Boston, MA. I can't see anything here - clouds and light pollution.:mad:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:24 PM
Reaction score
An alert for a major aurora has just been issued for the southern hemisphere.
Luckily Tasmania is right in the pathway. Hopefully the wind drops and the skies clear. In the meantime I'll just drink wine as the evening progresses 😊

Attachments

• 1000027292.jpg
    1000027292.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Taking a photo of the coastguard practicing and was surprised to see this when we zoomed back out and looked at the picture in full

Attachments

• 20241010_200944.jpg
    20241010_200944.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4

G-Man

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We live up in rural Aberdeenshire with very little light pollution and judging by the local FB posts the light show was spectacular last night.

I do get the impression people's attention to the phenomenon has grown with the advance in mobile phone camera technology. I'm partially colour blind which doesn't help but I've never been able to see it with the naked eye, although I've been able to photograph it using a long exposure setting on my phone and then look back at it after the event. Am I right in thinking that all the sexy neon glow photos we see posted are what a camera has seen and not necessarily what people are able to appreciate in real time?

Pardon my curmudgeonlyness, I'm feeling a little FOMO this morning.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:24 PM
Reaction score
We live up in rural Aberdeenshire with very little light pollution and judging by the local FB posts the light show was spectacular last night.

Am I right in thinking that all the sexy neon glow photos we see posted are what a camera has seen and not necessarily what people are able to appreciate in real time
You are correct. But sometime you do get bright naked eye beams and curtains. But a camera can pick up all wavelengths, hence the larger than life instagram/ FB snaps. Let's not talk photoshop...

G-Man

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You are correct. But sometime you do get bright naked eye beams and curtains. But a camera can pick up all wavelengths, hence the larger than life instagram/ FB snaps. Let's not talk photoshop...
I always thought it was a scam 😉

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I always thought it was a scam 😉
The last really big show we could see without the use of a camera very well but the camera did emphasise the display or show up colours when we could only see a white 'cloud'
Spoke to someone else near to where we were and he had previously paid for a trip to see the northern lights but said the display we had just seen was far better

Back
Top Bottom