The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Anyone else considering returning their Ineos Grenadier?

AWo

Local time
4:24 PM
Reaction score
Have you tried a Freedom of Information request to the AA?
When we had a breakdown with a Defender we called one of the German AA's (ADAC). It was within the warranty, the gearbox failed. We asked Land Rover for a replacement car (right term??) but they refused pointing to the conditions to get a replacment car. When you call the road help on your own during warranty and not via Land Rover they do not have to provide a replacement car. The reason behind is, if you call the road help on your own, the breakdown ends up in the statistsic. If you call Land Rover (or any other manufacturer, depending on their deal) it doesn't.

AWo

Last edited:
Local time
3:24 PM
Reaction score
The Jimny looks almost as big as your ND in the photo - it can't be can it?

Anyway - the 300mm longer 4 door version of Mr. Jimny is coming soon
lt's the photo angle. Here's a better one.

IMG_0222.jpeg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
if you call the road help on your own, the breakdown ends up in the statistsic. If you call Land Rover (or any other manufacturer, depending on their deal) it doesn't.

Which statistics?

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Which statistics?
The ADAC releases a yearly statistic of breakdowns. Brand, kind of breakdown and such things.

As the largest road help organization in Germany this ADAC list is considered as a good overview of reliabilty. They also try to distinguish between bad maintenance and manufacturer faults.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
I am sure all current owners are experiencing false warning messages. But just to make you all feel better, they appear to decrease as time goes by. Last couple of drives - nothing bonged or any messages.

And apart from the above, we have no real complaints, yes I want them to look at a couple of things: door seal and the headlamp cowl.

I was told on delivery it would take 5 weeks after delivery for the Software refresh - this has gone by. Now told August. I have asked INEOS direct and if I receive an answer will post.

Good luck with your vehicles........
I feel for you.
Four of us all ordered at the very beginning within a few weeks of each other. Two of us took delivery a few months back and fortunately two of us cancelled when we saw the issues they were getting.
After several months of trying to get answers and with no response from the dealer or from Ineos last week my mate took the car back to the dealership and handed them the keys.
The other car is getting progressively worse. Last week his car showed 400 miles fuel range when it was actually empty. Not a problem in Wales but could be in New South Wales.
I'm at a loss understand how everyone on this forum is so accepting of such poor quality. Comments such as Duct tape will fix it or just add a washer to stop it falling off etc. etc.
I'm glad of two things, firstly that I cancelled my order and secondly that the cars are not made in the UK and British workers are not at fault.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
I feel for you.
Four of us all ordered at the very beginning within a few weeks of each other. Two of us took delivery a few months back and fortunately two of us cancelled when we saw the issues they were getting.
After several months of trying to get answers and with no response from the dealer or from Ineos last week my mate took the car back to the dealership and handed them the keys.
The other car is getting progressively worse. Last week his car showed 400 miles fuel range when it was actually empty. Not a problem in Wales but could be in New South Wales.
I'm at a loss understand how everyone on this forum is so accepting of such poor quality. Comments such as Duct tape will fix it or just add a washer to stop it falling off etc. etc.
I'm glad of two things, firstly that I cancelled my order and secondly that the cars are not made in the UK and British workers are not at fault.
Hi Johnp, There is no such thing as a perfect vehicle, especially a new one from a company that just started building vehicles. You have to look at the overall design, overall quality and the ethos of what has been created when buying a Grenadier. It's for those that are adventuresome in body and spirit, those that are independent and have a bit of grit. It's not for everyone and that is why it was created. I applaud what Sir Jim Ratcliffe has created for us and look forward to the adventure he has put us on and miles of smiles. DaBull

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
I feel for you.
This is like a school maths exam.
4 ordered at the very beginning, so 1st May 2022??
2 took delivery a few months back???? I assume late Q2 or 2-4 months ago by the description of a few????
Last week your mate took it back to the dealer and gave them back the keys?? I thought this was only possible within 30 days of receipt in the UK (correct me if I'm wrong)
2 of you cancelled your orders after seeing the problems your mates are having. I assume you cancelled in the last 1-2 months??
The 4th guy's car is getting worse since his mate took his vehicle back "last week".

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is like a school maths exam.
4 ordered at the very beginning, so 1st May 2022??
2 took delivery a few months back???? I assume late Q2 or 2-4 months ago by the description of a few????
Last week your mate took it back to the dealer and gave them back the keys?? I thought this was only possible within 30 days of receipt in the UK (correct me if I'm wrong)
2 of you cancelled your orders after seeing the problems your mates are having. I assume you cancelled in the last 1-2 months??
The 4th guy's car is getting worse since his mate took his vehicle back "last week".
if Johnny has three apples and gives Jane one, how happy is Johnny?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Having read the full message. Not convinced it is genuine and would withstand scrutiny. Can you say which dealership you all dealt with?

Local time
Reaction score
He posted something back in May after his friend took delivery of his Grenadier and had issues with the vehicle.

But there's been no other posts regarding these two vehicles, and the two orders that were subsequently cancelled.
Quite few people have had issues with their new Grenadier and many of these issues are being sorted as time goes on.

Software updates have fixed a lot of the spurious false readings and warning lights.

His friend may have had more help on here than the dealer was able to give, if they'd asked.

I've got a new Defender.
lt's been pretty faultless but the first ones in 2020 had various issues. lt took Land Rover a couple of years to get things properly sorted.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:24 AM
Reaction score
He posted something back in May after his friend took delivery of his Grenadier and had issues with the vehicle.

But there's been no other posts regarding these two vehicles, and the two orders that were subsequently cancelled.
Quite few people have had issues with their new Grenadier and many of these issues are being sorted as time goes on.

Software updates have fixed a lot of the spurious false readings and warning lights.

His friend may have had more help on here than the dealer was able to give, if they'd asked.

I've got a new Defender.
lt's been pretty faultless but the first ones in 2020 had various issues. lt took Land Rover a couple of years to get things properly sorted.
I agree...I now own a Trialmaster. After watching and waiting, I decided to take an educated guess on the Grenadier and purchase one knowing that new cars let alone new automotive companies will have issues...we won't be left out in the cold...it is a serious commitment to get this right...but there will always be those who fear to tread...happy motoring here ;)

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score

I've got a new Defender.
Hi lightning, I took a chance and purchased an all new model with new engine in it's first year from Land Rover, Yes a New 2020 Defender First Edition.
It has been the most perfect car I have ever owned. There is not a single thing I would change on it. It continues to deliver miles of smiles.

I am now ready for a new adventure and am looking forward to taking delivery of my New Grenadier Trial Master in Shale Blue sometime in
the first quarter of 2024. Based on reading every single post in this forum for the last 12 months and my off road test drive of a Grenadier
at the Los Angeles Event, I feel confident that any issues that matter will be addressed in a reasonable manner by Ineos, as after all we are all
getting 5 year warranties. I am very happy I made an early reservation and pre-order as I predict it will be even more successful than Ineos is
prepared for. Once they start appearing out on the street and in the wild, good luck getting your hands on one for years to come.
Here's to more miles of smiles. DaBull

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:24 PM
Reaction score
I am very happy I made an early reservation and pre-order as I predict it will be even more successful than Ineos is
prepared for. Once they start appearing out on the street and in the wild, good luck getting your hands on one for years to come.
Here's to more miles of smiles. DaBull
Huzzah, @DaBull 🙌

Will you keep both? (IG and ND) ... best of both worlds

Reactions: PBD
Local time
Reaction score
I think I've said elsewhere - I would have been shocked if the vehicle didn't have teething problems. I'm sorry if anyone who ordered one is surprised by this. I was reluctant and decided not to order early due to fears of this. Frankly I think it's going better than I expected. :D

For me - it's how they shake out in the medium term. IE We hope ineos sort all the issues for the early adopters, and sort the bugs in new production asap. It takes time to identify problems, for the message to get back, and for fixes to be developed and distributed to dealers for rectification and to be incorporated in new builds. All the while trying to deal with new production issues and keep things rolling which I imagine is keeping them quite busy.

What I would find more concerning is if say this time next year the issues are not sorted - or it becomes "whack a mole". IE new issues are popping up as fast as they resolve them. As stated elsewhere I'm permanently scarred by buying another new car a while back (there are actually very very few real "new cars" out there). The manufacturer tried but kind of gave up after a few years leaving me with a dud. :(

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What software updates are you referring to?
It seems that vehicles recently built have a newer software version - the version in my vehicle ends 41 and not 39. I’m yet to see warning lights though the battery seems a little undercharged at 85%.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:24 AM
Reaction score
I think I've said elsewhere - I would have been shocked if the vehicle didn't have teething problems. I'm sorry if anyone who ordered one is surprised by this. I was reluctant and decided not to order early due to fears of this. Frankly I think it's going better than I expected. :D

For me - it's how they shake out in the medium term. IE We hope ineos sort all the issues for the early adopters, and sort the bugs in new production asap. It takes time to identify problems, for the message to get back, and for fixes to be developed and distributed to dealers for rectification and to be incorporated in new builds. All the while trying to deal with new production issues and keep things rolling which I imagine is keeping them quite busy.

What I would find more concerning is if say this time next year the issues are not sorted - or it becomes "whack a mole". IE new issues are popping up as fast as they resolve them. As stated elsewhere I'm permanently scarred by buying another new car a while back (there are actually very very few real "new cars" out there). The manufacturer tried but kind of gave up after a few years leaving me with a dud. :(
Have you "pushed the button" yet or are you still waiting & assessing. If so, have you given yourself a timeframe?

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
[...] but its on-road manners and a longish motorway drive this weekend confirmed that it's just not in the same league as the new Defender in that respect [...]
I don't question what you state, but I just returned from my holidays, drove on the highway for more than 1000 km and I don't understand what more could be asked for, in terms of comfort, from the Grenadier, nor what more in this respect you can get from the New Def. I had no aerodynamic noise with the windows closed, perfect audio and telephone, extremely comfortable seats, enormous cargo space, smooth cruise speed, all that with the K02s. Honestly, anything more that could be asked for, seems to me to be beyond what can be asked of an off-roader and I suspect that anything more would certainly be at the expense of off-road capabilities or reliability (see electronically controlled suspension) or road tyres.

Back
Top Bottom