The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Another example why "connected" and "smart" vehicles are a dumb idea

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:29 PM
Reaction score

"It should serve as a warning to the entire auto industry. Automakers are embedding modems in all new vehicles—a move driven by law in some regions, as in Europe's eCall regulations—and rely increasingly on connectivity to one or more clouds for functionality. But those clouds and servers will not be maintained indefinitely, and once they go down, the cars that depend on them will lose features that owners may be relying upon."

No thanks to "over the air updates". No thanks to a "smart" car that talks to anyone or anything besides its owner.

Dual Grenny Guy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:29 PM
Reaction score
I know I will probably take some heat from EV haters on here, but yes I also own an EV (2023 Tesla Model S Plaid). It has been the easiest vehicle I have ever owned to maintain, and before I got the first Grenadier my favorite vehicle I have ever owned (trust me that says a lot). Kind of the same way some talk negatively about the Grenadier, the Tesla also has that negativity. I almost didn’t buy it or the Grenny's due to all the negativity, but I am certainly glad I did. This is also why I post so strongly for the Grenadier, so other possible buyers know some owners love them and have had no problems. I have owned the Tesla since June of 2023 and not a single issue with it, plug it in at night at home and she is ready to go in the morning. Way too easy! I don’t worry about batteries exploding, not having enough chargers away from my home & running out of gas, taking an hour to charge in a hurry, etc etc, none of it true as far as my experiences go. It totally reminds me of the Grenadier in terms of the hate and misconception people have of them both. Maybe I am just lucky, but how can someone have 3 different vehicles that others claim are crap yet not have a single real issue (beeps on the Grenny’s) with any of them?! 🤷‍♂️btw the over the air updates are just as easy as those with your iPhone, just hit accept and it does everything for you. Maybe one day we won’t have the internet or whatever is needed to run an EV, but then again maybe one day we will be without gas (nah we have never had issues with gas shortages huh 🤔 🙄)…..to each his/her own…….
IMG_0244.png

IMG_0243.png

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:29 PM
Reaction score
EV... good luck on resale in the short to midterm here in Aus. So many recalls lately of 'fire risk' EVs I just simply cannot worry about them for at least 5+ years. But having a tracker in my car 24/7 is bullshit. Sorry, ill go back to a 2006 Triton before that happens.

Dual Grenny Guy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
EV... good luck on resale in the short to midterm here in Aus. So many recalls lately of 'fire risk' EVs I just simply cannot worry about them for at least 5+ years. But having a tracker in my car 24/7 is bullshit. Sorry, I’ll go back to a 2006 Triton before that happens.
I don’t ever buy any of my vehicles with concerns or thoughts of resale. Maybe others do, but not me. I buy them because I like and want one. Btw, I am not a conspiracy theorist, but do you own a cell phone? Almost every single teenager and adult do these days. You do realize you’re being tracked already huh?!🤔🤷‍♂️
Also if you google which vehicles catch fire more often you will see it’s actually ICE vehicles that do, quit more often. That fire thing is a real big misconception about EV’s. Sure some may and have but not at the rate of ICE’s. That’s a fact anyone can actually look up.
IMG_0254.png

Last edited:

Bayford

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm with Dual Grenny Guy. What's wrong with accepting horses for courses?

I bought a new Tesla at about the same time I bought a new Grenadier. I use the Tesla if I am going to a city as its easier to park, exempt from congestion charge and much cheaper to park where parking charges and residents permits are emission based and it accelerates like nothing else that I have driven. The Tesla has been brilliant - in 18 months and maybe 10,000 miles maintenance has been restricted to filling up the windscreen washer fluid and wiping the exterior camera lenses with a damp handkerchief. Its a bit boring to drive and the suspension is way too hard but it works well and I love the fact that if you park it in range of the wifi at home it updates its own software. None of this taking it to a dealer for updates and servicing. It doesn't make me smile the way that the Grenadier does but its a much more convenient city car.

Dual Grenny Guy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
“The Tesla has been brilliant - in 18 months and maybe 10,000 miles maintenance has been restricted to filling up the windscreen washer fluid and wiping the exterior camera lenses with a damp handkerchief.”……yep you definitely are a Tesla owner!!!🤪

“It doesn't make me smile the way that the Grenadier does but it’s a much more convenient city car.”….could not of said it better myself.

Do you mind if I ask which Tesla you have? If not the plaid, have you ever rode in one? I test drove the Model S dual motors and it was hell a fast, but I had NO IDEA how much faster the 3 motor plaid was gonna be. It’s ridiculously fast!! I akin it to riding on a roller coaster when you floor it as the g forces literally push you back into the seat. Some say that will get old in time, I have had mine since June of last year and every single time I floor her it puts another smile on my face!! Kind of like when I drive one of the Grenny’s and someone I don’t know waves or gives me the ole thumbs up. People just love automobiles. 👍👋

Bayford

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
“The Tesla has been brilliant - in 18 months and maybe 10,000 miles maintenance has been restricted to filling up the windscreen washer fluid and wiping the exterior camera lenses with a damp handkerchief.”……yep you definitely are a Tesla owner!!!🤪

“It doesn't make me smile the way that the Grenadier does but it’s a much more convenient city car.”….could not of said it better myself.

Do you mind if I ask which Tesla you have? If not the plaid, have you ever rode in one? I test drove the Model S dual motors and it was hell a fast, but I had NO IDEA how much faster the 3 motor plaid was gonna be. It’s ridiculously fast!! I akin it to riding on a roller coaster when you floor it as the g forces literally push you back into the seat. Some say that will get old in time, I have had mine since June of last year and every single time I floor her it puts another smile on my face!! Kind of like when I drive one of the Grenny’s and someone I don’t know waves or gives me the ole thumbs up. People just love automobiles. 👍👋
My phone says that its a Model Y and its the only Tesla I have ever travelled in. I know I didn't opt for the "performance package" when I bought it because it reduced the range from about 350 miles to around 300 and the UK is so riddled with speed cameras that you can't really put your foot down for any length of time over here now. The standard package is still a hell of a lot faster than anything else that I have ever driven or owned however including top of the range Astons and Jaguars. Its a very instantaneous acceleration with no lag which is lovely.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
At a rough count I have 30 devices in my house which are connected to cloud servers. Maybe more.

My Google account records exactly where I have been, even recognising bike rides and paddle boarding.

So yes, some AI big brother can know a lot about me.

Somehow I still get ads for makeup and sanitary products, neither of which are much use to me.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
I'm with Dual Grenny Guy. What's wrong with accepting horses for courses?

I bought a new Tesla at about the same time I bought a new Grenadier. I use the Tesla if I am going to a city as its easier to park, exempt from congestion charge and much cheaper to park where parking charges and residents permits are emission based and it accelerates like nothing else that I have driven. The Tesla has been brilliant - in 18 months and maybe 10,000 miles maintenance has been restricted to filling up the windscreen washer fluid and wiping the exterior camera lenses with a damp handkerchief. Its a bit boring to drive and the suspension is way too hard but it works well and I love the fact that if you park it in range of the wifi at home it updates its own software. None of this taking it to a dealer for updates and servicing. It doesn't make me smile the way that the Grenadier does but its a much more convenient city car.
That's exactly what I'm doing with my new BMW iX, which I got in the summer. I can get into narrow car parks, use some of the bus and taxi lanes and drive relaxed in the city.

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:29 PM
Reaction score
What was the topic of this thread? :unsure:
Yup! The distractions of fun and convenience! It derails threads and suckers us into actually *paying* for our lives to be tracked and shared with governments, corporations, insurers, and advertisers. Huxley nailed it.

Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
At a rough count I have 30 devices in my house which are connected to cloud servers. Maybe more.

My Google account records exactly where I have been, even recognising bike rides and paddle boarding.

So yes, some AI big brother can know a lot about me.

Somehow I still get ads for makeup and sanitary products, neither of which are much use to me.
maybe the algorithms know you better than you know yourself.

Back
Top Bottom