The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

A bit more on the cancellation/delay

flynnsk

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:48 PM
Reaction score
"Lukewarm" is to say the least. With 100% tariffs and now a VP candidate who said EV/Alternative Fuel "are a scam", seems like is DEAD in the water.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:48 AM
Reaction score
"Lukewarm" is to say the least. With 100% tariffs and now a VP candidate who said EV/Alternative Fuel "are a scam", seems like is DEAD in the water.
Not trying to talk politics and proffering no opinion about candidates but given the new America PAC will be largely funded by someone who made billions from basically inventing the mainstream EV industry will this change?

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:48 AM
Reaction score
The Ford lightning sales suggest that tax incentives only goes so far to drive demand.

Maybe times will change but right now the market isn't there after the initial sales.

Local time
Reaction score
My feeling is that marketing got ahead of the tech and further fueled by incentives. Once things settle down and find there groove we should see EV’s become a strong alternative.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
Not trying to talk politics and proffering no opinion about candidates but given the new America PAC will be largely funded by someone who made billions from basically inventing the mainstream EV industry will this change?
But not HIS EVs….

I always thought the market cross section of EVs and the IG brand were a bit off. I get the potential advantages of an electric in an EOTWAWKI situation, outside of a EMP scenario, but EV and back to basics are largely exclusionary. And the current glut of EV trucks/SUVs give you like 7th mover advantage.

Chop off the back doors and add a gas engine and VIOLA, a D90ish competitor…

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
The shine has come off EV's. They are good for commuting but not road trips.

I had to rent a car and Hertz forced me into a Tesla. It had 93% charge (the max it could take according to Hertz). My drive home was ~107 miles and after traveling about 75 mph with a couple of accelerations to test out the electric motors I ended up at around 20% left on the battery. I then drove another 35 miles or so and ended up with about 8% left. It took me 45 minutes to charge it back to 93%. I then had another 62 miles to go to return it. I had to plug in again to get it close to 93% which took about 20 minutes. The normal ~1.75 hour drive took 2.75 hours...In addition Hertz hit me with the charging costs (wish I could remember what they were).

This just showed me that EV's are nowhere near where they need to be to fit into the average US drivers needs. Charging takes way too long compared to gas (9x longer to charge a Tesla on a supercharger than to fill up at a normal gas pump). The range is horrible. Questions on how long the batteries will last (the Tesla I rented was maybe 2-3 years old and already lost 7% battery). Infrastructure is lacking to not only supply the power but also to find charging stations that are convenient.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
i rented a hybrid in san diego. Mild hybrid, not the plug in version but the kind that helps with acceleration.
Got 35mpg and drove the thing the whole way from san diego to SF on one full tank (i think i had an 18gallon tank). It has made me rethink hybrids.
I drove 75mph most of the way. I think it was a mercedes c-class vehicle (not very comfortable if i'm honest).

BigJock2024

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:48 PM
Reaction score
My feeling is that marketing got ahead of the tech and further fueled by incentives. Once things settle down and find there groove we should see EV’s become a strong alternative.
100% correct - governments just do the easy part, and that is basically taxing people heavily in traditional cars (SUV taxes, fuel taxes, 1st year road fund licence, ULEZ changes) and throwing taxpayers money to subsidise EVs through corporate schemes and tax breaks. The difficult part, which is the massive infratructure to ensure everyone can charge their vehicles nationwide, the ramping costs of battery and electronics production, and maybe helping people dependent on petrol and diesel... that bit they don't do. So we now have thousands of EVs waiting for buyers that can't currently use them because of the limitations. Short term easy answers don't fix long term complex problems. But polticians have short term thinking and simple minds. :)
EVs will undoubtedly have their place longer term, but the transition needs to happen at the pace people can take and afford. Hybrids have been completely overlooked as a highly valuable transition vehicle.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
The shine has come off EV's. They are good for commuting but not road trips.

I had to rent a car and Hertz forced me into a Tesla. It had 93% charge (the max it could take according to Hertz). My drive home was ~107 miles and after traveling about 75 mph with a couple of accelerations to test out the electric motors I ended up at around 20% left on the battery. I then drove another 35 miles or so and ended up with about 8% left. It took me 45 minutes to charge it back to 93%. I then had another 62 miles to go to return it. I had to plug in again to get it close to 93% which took about 20 minutes. The normal ~1.75 hour drive took 2.75 hours...In addition Hertz hit me with the charging costs (wish I could remember what they were).

This just showed me that EV's are nowhere near where they need to be to fit into the average US drivers needs. Charging takes way too long compared to gas (9x longer to charge a Tesla on a supercharger than to fill up at a normal gas pump). The range is horrible. Questions on how long the batteries will last (the Tesla I rented was maybe 2-3 years old and already lost 7% battery). Infrastructure is lacking to not only supply the power but also to find charging stations that are convenient.
Something is wrong with your numbers. Maybe you had a vehicle with an issue. My Tesla charged to 290 miles and I drove every one of them. Just like ALL the others out there except for the Model S which goes well over 300 miles. And, road trips are very nice in an EV. There are so many charging stations and hundreds more being installed every month. EV's are certainly where they need to be to fit into the average US drivers needs. There are hundreds or more in my town all doing very well. I see them in remote areas like Death Valley and on all interstate hiways. Cancel your membership in the haters club and get with what's real.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
100% correct - governments just do the easy part, and that is basically taxing people heavily in traditional cars (SUV taxes, fuel taxes, 1st year road fund licence, ULEZ changes) and throwing taxpayers money to subsidise EVs through corporate schemes and tax breaks. The difficult part, which is the massive infratructure to ensure everyone can charge their vehicles nationwide, the ramping costs of battery and electronics production, and maybe helping people dependent on petrol and diesel... that bit they don't do. So we now have thousands of EVs waiting for buyers that can't currently use them because of the limitations. Short term easy answers don't fix long term complex problems. But polticians have short term thinking and simple minds. :)
EVs will undoubtedly have their place longer term, but the transition needs to happen at the pace people can take and afford. Hybrids have been completely overlooked as a highly valuable transition vehicle.
How can you not know how long Toyota has been producing Prius's (as an example) and how many are out there in use everyday? What limitations are you talking about? I don't know of, or have ever even heard of, any EV owners that can't use them. This is just more made up bullshit. You need to get your facts from another channel.

Back
Top Bottom