The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

7500 km in the Grenadier and back she goes!

Dono 17

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:15 PM
Reaction score
Ok, so a big previous LR Defender fan, own a 1959 series II and super excite that the Grenadier was next for me. Returned my 2020 LR defender and bought a IG Trialmaster. Huge disappointment! Terrible on tar road holding. Brake and swerve for wild life crossing the road and the huge nose dip and oversteer is down right dangerous. No way my wife is going to handle this. Massive drive train vibration and rear diff only engages 1/3 of the time. Then there’s the clown who located the rear view camera in the centre of the larger of the two doors…. Not above the hitch! Try to hitch a trailer on your own, in the dark at 20 deg below Celsius when it’s snowing! So… it’s going back to Ineos, I’ll enjoy my Ford F350 with solid axles over this any day!!!

Local time
7:15 PM
Reaction score
Calgary is 20 below already?

Oddly, other than the "return to center" not being up to a track day, I find two lane'rs, and city driving kinda quick in this. It's the highway driving that the casterless brick has more difficulty with.

Dono 17

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Agreed, the highway driving is the biggest issue. In the US and Canada, thousands of miles done on highway - in my case a 12 hour drive each way to Flin Flon, Manitoba. Mostly tarred roads then onto dirt to fish some of the lakes. It handles the dirt/ gravel very well but not the asphalt. My 2020 LR defender was brilliant on and off road…. Just didn’t think it would last long term with all that tech! The reason I posted is just as a heads up to others thinking of over landing in North America. Cheers,

Local time
Reaction score
Agreed, the highway driving is the biggest issue. In the US and Canada, thousands of miles done on highway - in my case a 12 hour drive each way to Flin Flon, Manitoba. Mostly tarred roads then onto dirt to fish some of the lakes. It handles the dirt/ gravel very well but not the asphalt. My 2020 LR defender was brilliant on and off road…. Just didn’t think it would last long term with all that tech! The reason I posted is just as a heads up to others thinking of over landing in North America. Cheers,
Yea, I think for the money I'd get a Lexus LS for that type of use. I have an f350, and without 4000 lbs in the back, it sucks donkey balls for all sorts of driving. It does seem odd that your two complaints, if they were your primary needs, would both be sorta obvious on the test drive, and don't really have much to do with "overlanding."

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Agreed, the highway driving is the biggest issue. In the US and Canada, thousands of miles done on highway - in my case a 12 hour drive each way to Flin Flon, Manitoba. Mostly tarred roads then onto dirt to fish some of the lakes. It handles the dirt/ gravel very well but not the asphalt.
Interesting you felt that way, with multiple 12+hr drive days in a row (all highway, nearly all at >125km/h or faster), I felt the Grenadier to be an excellent highway cruiser (well planted, super comfy seats, great driving position); and just the same on twisty mountain backroads as well

Local time
Reaction score
Interesting you felt that way, with multiple 12+hr drive days in a row (all highway, nearly all at >125km/h or faster), I felt the Grenadier to be an excellent highway cruiser (well planted, super comfy seats, great driving position); and just the same on twisty mountain backroads as well
I have only driven about 300 miles in a Grenadier, a loaner, but I too liked the way it drove both on highways and secondary streets. Granted, it is no Porsche but it did very well for me. I was actually convinced that I’d probably like it but not enough to actually want one. I was wrong and I placed my order the day I returned the loaner.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Granted, it is no Porsche but it did very well for me.
This is an important thing to keep in mind; it isn't a Cayenne or a GLE, or even a 200 series LC, and will never drive like any of those. It is a purpose built tool, and unfortunately I feel that a number of dealers are attempting to push them to the masses

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:15 AM
Reaction score
So maybe his Grenadier has some issues with the steering that we don’t have. Than for sure it’s the right thing to give it back.
… or to let someone have a look on the steering parts.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:15 AM
Reaction score
Mine has 26,000 kms (16,100 miles) on the clock and drives really well on all types of roads.
Not as smoothly as an SUV but then again I never expected that.
I think North American vehicles/SUV's do tend to have a softer riding setup than we normally do anyway.

Rule of thumb in Australia is never swerve for an animal or you will end up in a ditch or a tree trying to convince a cop and your insurance company that there really was an animal there.
Brake in a straight line and take off as much speed as possible.
Also the reason we have bull bars on our vehicles.

1727558657394.png1727558666207.png

Local time
Reaction score
So maybe his Grenadier has some issues with the steering that we don’t have. Than for sure it’s the right thing to give it back.
… or to let someone have a look on the steering parts.
I am a little amazed at the complaints about Grenadier steering performance. It is a theme that keeps repeating. Of course you are correct, something may have been wrong with the vehicle but I suspect not. I found the steering much like several 3/4 ton vehicles I have driven, different but easily adapted to and just fine once you do.
It is a really curious thing.

Nadir5

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don't mind mine's highway manners at all. I don't tow, so couldn't offer an opinion one way or another on that. It does seem like relocating the camera would be a possibility, or perhaps adding a camera that mates with your phone if relocation isn't possible but that view is critical. People used to be able to use trailers without cameras helping them not that long ago.

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you didn’t get to enjoy your purchase. I had a complaint about highway driving after my purchase but any concern I had vanished after a week of ownership, I now love the way it drives and look forward to every chance I have to drive it, especially long road trips. I just got home from a 1000 mile plus trip through the southwest and it performed perfectly and was loaded down with tons of rafting gear and still handles great.

I always tell prospective buyers that they will most likely hate the way it feels on the highway but that after a week you won’t even notice it.

Back
Top Bottom