The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Windscreen Wipers

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
In my old 911 the default was to have the wipers park towards the driver's side. The rationale being if you get splashed by a passing car , puddle etc the direction of sweep instantly cleans the crucial area.
Some people reverse the setup , mainly for aesthetics , it really doesn't affect day to day visibility, even on track.
Here is the LHD 911 Walter raced in Targa Tas in 2011; note wiper position911sc.jpg

Zacman110

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:15 AM
Reaction score
I wonder whether the LHD has the same trouble with the wipers cleaning the side of the windscreen (in this case the left side of the windscreen next to the A-pilar).

The problem has been mentioned in some test reviews for the RHD (on the right side, next to the A-pilar). It can also be seen in the attached screenshot (taken from the review of The Late Brake Show).

View attachment 7802843
Same as my old Defer! Never bothered (or really noticed it tbh) F053FCA3-E0A8-498A-B46A-3693499AAE7D.jpeg
*passenger taking photo*

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder whether the LHD has the same trouble with the wipers cleaning the side of the windscreen (in this case the left side of the windscreen next to the A-pilar).

The problem has been mentioned in some test reviews for the RHD (on the right side, next to the A-pilar). It can also be seen in the attached screenshot (taken from the review of The Late Brake Show).

View attachment 7802843
What would that be blocking from your view?

Last edited:

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:15 PM
Reaction score
TBH I thought the Reviewers were being a bunch of pussies whining about the RHD wiper sweep leaving a large untouched area.
However looking at the photo above it’s appaling… not even moving the wiper a couple of splines would help much because of the angle, the tip of the wiper is almost touching the RH seal as it is…V poor glad I’ll be getting a LHD version.
It's like they need to be the type used on coaches/buses where the wipers sweep across the screen staying in a vertical position. They have a secondary armature to help achieve this.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just don't see a real problem. One journalist mentions it - they all do. We then start talking about it and before you know it, there are no wipers fitted....... :)
Yep - like the FB guys have all jumped on the bmw plastic bits in the motor are shit bandwsgon at the moment- one in all in.

Maxwell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:15 PM
Reaction score
What would that be blocking from your view?
I could cause some trouble on a left turn (LHD) or on a right turn (RHD). However, the old Defender and the older G-Wagon appear to have the same „problem“. The latest G-Wagon seems to have an improved wiper performance.

Maxwell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:15 PM
Reaction score
It's like they need to be the type used on coaches/buses where the wipers sweep across the screen staying in a vertical position. They have a secondary armature to help achieve this.
That would have been a great idea. However, it might cause other problems, as the wipers are then permanently in your view. Here is an example:

View: https://youtu.be/1H2q_BtO6kY

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:15 PM
Reaction score
That would have been a great idea. Here is an example:

View: https://youtu.be/1H2q_BtO6kY
Exactly. I posted a pic of a school bus and that’s similar to what they use. Besides being significantly larger, the rake of the windshield is about the same.

I wonder if some enterprising aftermarket company can develop something.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I could cause some trouble on a left turn (LHD) or on a right turn (RHD). However, the old Defender and the older G-Wagon appear to have the same „problem“. The latest G-Wagon seems to have an improved wiper performance.
My car has huge A pillars and I learnt to lean forward or angle the car so I could see

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My car has huge A pillars and I learnt to lean forward or angle the car so I could see
The Merc? Yes , dreadful blind spots like most modern cars needing chubby A pillars to pass crash tests. Like tiny rear side/back windows they mandate nanny aids.
Meanwhile in my 60s Benz I can swivel my head like in the Omen and see the entire road to the side and behind . And it's the " safest car in the world" if I get in my time machine 😁

Korg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:15 AM
Reaction score
Just returned home cursing the Disco 4 auto screen wipe system and wondering if anyone has ideas/thought/knowledge of the IG screen wipe system. D3's were useable. early D4's acceptable but the 2016 version detection system is so hit-and-miss as to be totally frustrating.
I tested the wipers and washers 2 days ago. Dual spray jets per wiper work well. Normal wiper speed modes but no rain sensing auto mode. Did not test rear wiper.

Back
Top Bottom