The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Window Rattle/Clicking Noise

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:19 PM
Reaction score
Ok - so curious if anyone else is experiencing a clicking/rattle noise on the drivers side (US) front window at low speeds? I have 2.5k on the Grenadier and absolutely love the vehicle, but at about 2k I started hearing a clicking or rattling noice at low speeds going over bumps and rough roads. The noise sounds like it is coming from the rear top edge of the door and you can only really hear it below 30mph. At speeds above that the noise goes away. I originally thought it was the window seal clicking as they are not glued in, but I used painters tape to tape the seal and while it helped a little the noise was certainly still there. I then tested the noise with various window positions and realized that it only makes the noise in the fully closed position and even cracking the window 1/4” and the noise goes away. At this point I think the noise is caused by the window glass moving around in the door seal. I talked to the dealer and the door seal it one single part so one option is to pull the door panel and replace the entire door seal or it is possible that the window regulator is loose?

Curious if anyone else has had this issue, and if so, how you fixed it. Thanks!

Local time
Reaction score
There a loose wire in the door rattling against the door frame/door panel?

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe, but the noise is coming from the top edge of the door and stops when you BARELY crack the window. I pulled the window seal out and lubricated the window track and the seal on the door side and it helped but did not eliminate the noise. It has had a couple of different characteristics - it was almost a clicking noise for a while and sometimes almost rattle. You don’t feel it in the door, door panel or window, but you can certainly hear it at low speeds. The silicon helped a lot so I am thinking it’s the way the window seal fit into the door frame. I am going to let it sit overnight as a just coated it again, but I think it’s the window seal not seating correctly when the window is fully closed. The minute you barely crack the window - the sound is going.

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Ok - bit of an update. I drove the vehicle this morning and the VAST majority of the noise is gone, but occasionally I can still hear a faint rattle at low speeds (5-10MPH). The window seal noise appears to be completely done and the mild rattle I have may just be “the nature of the vehicle” as its gone at speed, but still completely gone if you barely crack the window. At this point I am just going to drive it. We have a road trip from San Antonio to Austin today totaling approx 180 miles so we will see what it sounds like after that trip.

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:19 PM
Reaction score
I have a similar noise when driving at low speeds. I always assumed it was from the b-pillar but haven't had a chance to take the trim apart to locate the noise. Now I am not sure if it is because of the window seal. I do not hear it if I crack the window open about an inch. A few months ago I put rubber seal protector over all the door seals and the noise reduced significantly for about a week. But I never associated the noise with the door/window seals. Is it possible to upload some pictures where you added the silicon?

Also, did you get your front windows tinted? Weirdly, I also had a similar noise in a previous car. I am wondering if it may be caused by the tinting process?

Texas Grenadier

Global Grenadier Member 942
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
IT's the window molding rattling against the window frame. Dealer can fix or you can with some clear silicon.

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
IT's the window molding rattling against the window frame. Dealer can fix or you can with some clear silicon.
Revamping this thread. My noise is still present and I would be VERY interested to get an idea on how to make the fix - ie where to install the silicone? The noise is VERY annoying. All in all - I am VERY pleased with the vehicle, but I really need to get this rattle addressed so any guidance/help would be appreciated. I am in San Antonio so I don’t have a local dealer and I have no intention of driving to Houston or Dallas for something that I can fix simply with some silicone.

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Same here guys. I completely understand putting silicone in the seal, but what seal and what location? Are we talking about the window seal? I already pulled the window seal and covered it in silicon spray, but not silicone adhesive. That really didn’t do anything.

Or - are we talking about the door seal itself on the body of the vehicle? That would seem to make more sense, but just trying to confirm.

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Ok so here is an update. Having previously pulled the window seal and reset it I knew that was not the issue. So got home tonight and barely pulled out the top of the door seal and then reset it. The noise is now completely gone. The fix was way too easy considering the noise sounded like wires or even a bolt rattling around in the roof but it’s fixed for now. I did not silicone it and maybe that’s the long term solution but this worked for now and at least narrowed it down to the exact place/issue. I do believe that the window was rattling as well so in total - the solution was to move and reset both seals to eliminate all of the rattling and noises but it was a simple fix. Hope this helps other!

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Update - the noise has come back when I hit small bumps in the road so likely going to silicone in the seal to make it a permanent fix. This whole situation is a little odd to me as I have never had this kind of noise from a door seal on ANY vehicle. It’s doesn’t appear to be the door rattling but just the seal moving with the body of the vehicle. I have pulled apart a TON of Mercedes and they always had a wax based sealant that lasted forever and I am likely going to try that before I silicone so I can pull the seal in the future.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:19 AM
Reaction score
I’ve seen a few Grenadiers where the doors are not aligned property particularly towards the top half of the door resulting in some flexing of the chassis around the door area. This causing rattling or leaks (even when the seals are intact). On some Grenadiers, when you slam the door, the top half of the door vibrates as if it’s not damped properly. The door closes with a clack/vibrates rather than a thud. Compare the top half of the door when you close it on both sides. It just may need adjustment.

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Update - the noise has come back when I hit small bumps in the road so likely going to silicone in the seal to make it a permanent fix. This whole situation is a little odd to me as I have never had this kind of noise from a door seal on ANY vehicle. It’s doesn’t appear to be the door rattling but just the seal moving with the body of the vehicle. I have pulled apart a TON of Mercedes and they always had a wax based sealant that lasted forever and I am likely going to try that before I silicone so I can pull the seal in the future.
My noise has gotten significantly worse to the point where it is extremely annoying. Please take some pictures of your fix. Also, there is something rattling in the door. The door does not rattle when driving, but i can hear it when swinging it back and forth. the noise goes away when the window is slightly open. Do you have this issue? I uploaded the video to the icloud link below since it was too big to attach.

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t have a rattle when I swing to door or in the door so sorry I can’t help in that one. The clicking noise from the door seal does go away when the window is opened. This is what made me think it was the window seal, but it wasn’t and the only thing I could conclude was that when the window is lowered it changes the pressure points between the door and the seal.

Going to try a couple different things before I silicone it as I hate the idea of gluing in the seal. I’ll report back with what works.

wolftimj

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So…. Rattling sound from both doors. Tried two different products; driver door got Ice-X, wiped on to the frame mounted door seal with a rag. Passenger door got Blaster brand Silicone spray, applied same way. So far the Ice-X side is silent. Not sure the Silicone side is better at all. Will report back after a few days.

Hopefully IceX isn’t the only answer, it’s really expensive stuff. Something similar like dry silicone might be worth trying. That’s going to be my next trial on passenger side.

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Ok - just back in in town from almost 2 weeks in Europe and jumped in the Grenadier to run it and see what kind of battery drain I had. Batteries were at 90% and quickly moved to 92%.

As far as the clicking/noise - it was worse than it has ever been and almost sounded like a bolt bouncing around in the door. I put the window done about 1/2-1” and it helped but still nothing normal. I played with the window, the window seal, etc and nothin really made it go away, UNTIL I moved the door seal. I just pulled it down about 1/4-1/2’ across the top and all of the sudden the noise was gone. I drove it down some pretty bumpy roads and the noise came back, BUT only because the seal moved back to the original location. I the moved the seal on the top and about 6 inches down the door towards the rear and the noise was gone. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do as a long term fix, but I don’t want to silicone the seal in as I want to be able to remove it and I don’t want the noise to come back and then have to find a way to get the seal out.

Back
Top Bottom