The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Who wants underbody skids? I have had a solid conversation with BudBuilt!!!

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:26 AM
Reaction score
This is what it says on Smugmug when I hit, “Give me a hint”: Hint: first two san carlos grandmothers nickname last two ….not sure if that helps you 🤷🏻‍♂️
That’s the master password for the entire account. I know that one, but there is one that grants specific access. I’ll come up with a backup plan.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
I am talking about standard trails in Colorado, Arizona, Texas, and several other states. Rugged trails that are used every day.
I am curious about what trails in Colo and Arizona require underbody skid made out of 3/8" steel.

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am curious about what trails in Colo and Arizona require underbody skid made out of 3/8" steel.
Outside Breckenridge we took Red Cone Pass. I think the exposure to transmission pan, fel lines, and brake lines under the Gren is pretty bad and could result in a catastrophic failure that could be avoided with solid skids….but travel at your own risk.

j.ironfab

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
Outside Breckenridge we took Red Cone Pass. I think the exposure to transmission pan, fel lines, and brake lines under the Gren is pretty bad and could result in a catastrophic failure that could be avoided with solid skids….but travel at your own risk.

I think you are confusing your fractions 3/8 steel would be absurd for a skid plate the weight alone would just be dumb. Looking at the site it's all 3/16 which is the go to for most heavier trucks. I've seen people use 1/4 but that's pretty rare.

3/8 = 6/16 so double 3/16's for those not great at fractions...

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think you are confusing your fractions 3/8 steel would be absurd for a skid plate the weight alone would just be dumb. Looking at the site it's all 3/16 which is the go to for most heavier trucks. I've seen people use 1/4 but that's pretty rare.

3/8 = 6/16 so double 3/16's for those not great at fractions...
You are correct. Apologies to all.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
I've driven Red Cone 13 years ago - it was neither technical nor particularly rough. Of course trails change.
The trails going along the creeks are more of a lurking danger - like Wheeler Lake or Pearl Pass.

Local time
11:26 AM
Reaction score
OK, I just hung up with Bud. He is totally willing to design and prduce full underbody skids for the Gren. Calling all North Carolina owners. He needs a truck for a day or two and he is in (Hudson, NC) near Hickory, NC. Is anyone willing to part with their Gren for a couple days to allow him to take measurements and build a prototype? Please let me know ASAP. If all the NC guys are not interested, I will ship mine up there, but this is a fallback position. Please let me know.

I have had BudBuilt skids on two of Toyotas (4R and LC) and they are totally bulletproof. DM me or respond. I will be glad to get you my cell so we can discuss the details. Please go check out his work. He has been in business now for 25 years.

In NC. Mine is in country,b it not in my hands yet. They are saying at dealer week after 4th.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:26 AM
Reaction score
From the BB site, randomly checked the trans skid for 2016+ Taco.

Wow!
Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 7.10.47 PM.png

NomadJS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did anything ever happen with Bud's?

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
He needs a volunteer truck. I was going to ship mine up there but haven’t done it yet. If you are close by I am sure he would give you some discount to leave your truck with him for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom