The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What Is the Proper Country of Origin For the IG?

Kujo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:58 PM
Reaction score
Forgive this question, but exactly what are we driving? A British, French, European, Western European, or “Foreign” car. The built in France aspect throws me and generates more questions from onlookers than I have answers.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:58 PM
Reaction score
Pretty standard, certainly in Europe where cars are made all over the place with components from even their competitors.

A high proportion of mercedes cars run Renault engines, Defenders are built in Slovakia, a load of BMW's are built in US...... The list is endless.

DoubleDoom

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:58 PM
Reaction score
The origin is Britain (as is much of the design behind it). The build is French. Powered by Germany.

Its a typical European build. Many brands have been designed in one place, bits manufactured in multiple places and built in a different place.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:58 PM
Reaction score
The built in France aspect throws me and generates more questions from onlookers than I have answers.
The utility versions don''t have a raised air intake by default, so you see the decal on the right hand side showing a British/German decal ...

Screenshot_20240821_140740.jpg

... for a reason: British and German design from the original Defenders and the G-Class and Austrian/German construction, British entrepreneurship, German companies like BMW (motors), ZF (gearbox), Recaro(seats), Eibach/Bilstein (suspension), Nolden (Head lights) , BASF (Color&Coating), Rehau (Bumpers), SEG (Starter & Generator) et.al.

So the self-understanding of INEOS Automotive seems to be to produce a British/German car. Of course there are many other countries involved, but engineering, design and most of the core components doubtlessly come from Germany and England.

Screenshot_20240821_144459.jpg

And: It is assembled in France. Except for the fuel tank I don't know any other part that was produced in France

Assembly is in a Mercedes-Benz factory which was bought from Mercedes Benz by INEOS.

The only question on my side is about assembly quality. And it has turned out that there is (IMHO quite some) room for improvements.

But no showstoppers. The drive and chassis are robust and reliable, and have already taken some members here thousands of kilometers through Africa and other remote areas.

Back
Top Bottom