The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What is overlanding? Keeping it real!

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:03 PM
Reaction score
We've always aimed at using a vehicle to get reasonably far away and then do other things from there. Sometimes we just hang out and be quiet. Occasionally avoiding the premiere tourist destinations can help facilitate that. Our equipment has been somewhat minimal as well. I'm not one who needs to be constantly entertained or distracted so we don't have portable internet, tablets, or music players beyond whatever is available on the vehicle's AM-FM radio. We don't even have a GPS unit. Maps will do. Spending a good bit of our time in real bear country, we've moved away from cooking over open fires to using a small propane stove and only purchased our first DC refer a couple of seasons back. Less is more mental space if you ask me.

I think "overlanding" means two different things depending whether you're in (most of) North America or Africa/Australia.

Last edited:

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:03 PM
Reaction score
Escape.
or whatever word you choose.

Some of us do this in so many ways and it is very important in my mind to enjoy the process. Yesteryear I was much more active and didn't rely on a motor vehicle to do this. It is easy to do in a book, in a boat, in a movie, in or on a vehicle, in an ocean or river and that was me hour upon hour week after week...sitting in the water waiting for the next wave...sitting in a rowing boat that my Father and I built 58 years ago, waiting for a fish to bite mainly at night. The Grenadier like most 4x4 vehicles allows us to escape to places that suit us and that place might be as simple as a campfire which has allowed me to escape many times and hope to many times more.

I think "overlanding" means two different things

Overlanding in my opinion is a big part of the escape process, the adventure. Arriving, and being there is only half the fun and then you still have the home run back(y)

Back
Top Bottom