The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Weatherproof Portable Refrigerators/Freezer Recommendation

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:12 PM
Reaction score
Hey all, looking to crowdsource thoughts and recommendations on a portable refrigerator/freezer (probably dual zone) for my grenadier. Here's my issue - unfortunately, I don't have space inside of the Grenadier because I have a 1 year old with a car seat that barely fits, 2 yellow labs in the boot, and my wife and I in the front (sometimes my wife sits in the back with our son). So, I'd probably need to resort to transporting the fridge on the Leitner roof rack - does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on this approach and which fridge might work for an outdoor application? Is this feasible or stupid?

Other questions:
  • if there are weatherproof fridge options, I'm wondering what the ambient temperature operating ranges are? We're in the mid-Atlantic/northeast region of the US.
  • Is the 15amp roof outlet enough to provide power? can't remember which switch - maybe ext3? Anything else to consider on this?
Thanks in advance!

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:12 AM
Reaction score
In Australia ARB and Engel fridges are commonly in the back of ute trays, exposed to the weather. Check the power requirements on the fridge you choose, the high power aux option roof circuits (at least in Australia) are 25 amps, more than enough for most fridges.

The ARB flagship Elements model is fully weather sealed and sold as such.

A cargo carrier on the tow hitch will be easier to access for the fridge - if you have a tow hitch and you are not towing!

You could probably also install a single drawer fridge in the back with the dogs and leave them enough room. Drawer fridges are often single zone, fridge or freezer.
BCF_667810-00_hi-res.jpg

Or you may be able to use a Bushman Roadie fridge (sometimes called console fridges) in the back with room left for the dogs. They are single zone fridges.

bushman roadie .png

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
ARB's Element fridge is specifically designed to live outside. It's a 63Qt, but fridge (or freezer) only, not dual zone. I had one with our Tundra, mounted in the bed, and it was fantastic.

These two photos should describe everything you need to know about it's abilities :ROFLMAO: (July in Death Valley NP)
20210710_110908-01.jpeg
20210710_112434.jpg

With that being said, I know of at least a handful of people who leave their Dometic CFX3 series fridge/freezers in the bed of their trucks through all weather without any problems; however, they are specifically not rated for that

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In Australia ARB and Engel fridges are commonly in the back of ute trays, exposed to the weather. Check the power requirements on the fridge you choose, the high power aux option roof circuits (at least in Australia) are 25 amps, more than enough for most fridges.

The ARB flagship Elements model is fully weather sealed and sold as such.

A cargo carrier on the tow hitch will be easier to access for the fridge - if you have a tow hitch and you are not towing!

You could probably also install a single drawer fridge in the back with the dogs and leave them enough room. Drawer fridges are often single zone, fridge or freezer.
This is super helpful, thank you! I like the idea of maybe creating a platform in the rear with that drawer fridge - my only concern is how high does this lift the rear (I think there'd still be ample room for the dogs, but it's already so high for the dogs to ingress and egress) and assuming the fridge needs to vent/exhaust properly (I currently have a full boot liner in the rear which contains the millions of rogue dog hairs, which would potentially block any vents). Otherwise, looks like I'll have to save my pocket change for minute to purchase that ARB Element :) Appreciate the response and help!

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
These two photos should describe everything you need to know about it's abilities :ROFLMAO: (July in Death Valley NP)
LOL whoa - you might have just sold me on the ARB Element. It's expensive, but then again, how much is that freezer pop worth when camping in 120f weather?

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would advise against a fridge on the roof…

My experience with the roof rack and ladder combo as well as my frequency of fridge use is climbing up and down a ladder with A: a heavy ass fridge, B: a bunch of groceries in your hands, and C: every time you want to get a cold one would get tiresome.
When I’m out on adventure off pavement I typically open my boot up and slide my fridge out 2-3 times for lunch, snacks, and cold drinks.
If I’m at camp, the fridge gets significantly more use for cooking, and cold drinks. Often enough that I just leave my barn doors open for the duration of my afternoon and evening (weather permitting) to alleviate the boot up and shutdown of the computer each time the doors are opened.

If I were to cut and paste that experience of loading and unloading groceries in and out of the fridge along with frequency of use and plug that model into the idea of a roof mounted fridge, I’d find a better way.

Also, temperature regulation for the fridge, especially dual zone is particularly sensitive to sun exposure and thermal heating. I’m running an ARB Zero 69L dual zone internally, and still haven’t figured out the sweet spot on temps. With the phone app I’ve got 3 seperate pre-set combinations that I rotate through while on a trip depending on conditions and demand, as well as how full the fridge is. Lots of factors to consider, and not as consistent as a home fridge. Sun exposure just adds to the complexity and keeps the fridge working harder to keep the internal temp cool. You may find a fridge that is out in the sun to have warmer items on the sunny side, and if the fridge is constantly working, colder or even frozen stuff on the bottom.
I do see ARB elements fridge units left outside, and that’s great they’re weather proof, but it’s not ideal. Not to mention the dust. Care for some grit with your cheese board, and wine sir?

I’m sure a smaller single zone will fit with your Labs in the back. Or perhaps on a rear seat (but could also turn into a projectile during a crash)

Having started out with out a fridge slide, and then getting one installed a few weeks later, it’s certainly worth the investment.

All food for thought. Not sure what your budget is, or if you’re close to a cabinet builder but I’m super happy with my cabinet /fridge slide setup.
Albeit my rig wouldn’t fit a couple of dogs in the back. But you get the idea. Here’s some pics, and a video tour I popped on YT if you’re interested:

How it started:
Before the cabinet and fridge slide install… it’s a dreadful mess and a pain to access the fridge (Buried on the right side behind the blue ratchet strap)IMG_2789.jpeg

How it’s Going:
The orientation of the fridge in the slide is now long wise, allowing for the space on the left to accommodate a drawer. There is also a rigid box around the fridge allowing for items to be stacked on top, but not interfere with the slide being pulled in and out to access the fridge.
IMG_2788.jpeg

View: https://youtu.be/_PcBR98TZCE?si=W8mPm3dvGNIbQwNo

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
Maybe this...
or this...

I have the latter and it's light for its size.

undert0e

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:12 AM
Reaction score
Check out National Luna. I’ve had mine for years and it runs like a top. Purchased a smaller Dometic and have been having some issues with it. Dometic customer service has been kind of a pain as well.

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
All food for thought. Not sure what your budget is, or if you’re close to a cabinet builder but I’m super happy with my cabinet /fridge slide setup.
Albeit my rig wouldn’t fit a couple of dogs in the back. But you get the idea. Here’s some pics, and a video tour I popped on YT if you’re interested:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences - and, yes, I've definitely been enjoying your YT videos, keep posting them!

This is definitely one of my concerns:
1.) the ARB fridge is 60lbs empty - so lifting it on/off the roof rack will prove to be a pain for me (I'm definitely no meat head, no offense to anyone that is).
2.) it's very true - access will be a pain as well, for all of the reasons you've mentioned.
3.) on the dust piece (in case I do a hitch mount carrier as mentioned by the Doc) - this is a good thought, but I would hope something like the ARB Element has a good seal/gasket to keep this on the outside. I definitely agree, though, I don't need any added grit in my shrimp and grits.

So, maybe a hitch mounted carrier, or drawer system are my options. Benefit of the drawer system is that it would allow me to flatten out the rear of the vehicle for a sleeping platform - this is an enticing idea.

Thanks for the thoughts and bringing me back to reality.

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe this...
or this...

I have the latter and it's light for its size.
Very impressed with the cost and weight savings of these units! Any experience on how good/bad they are? I've become more of a fan of "buy once, cry once" but I could almost buy 3 of these for the price of the ARB Element.

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Check out National Luna. I’ve had mine for years and it runs like a top. Purchased a smaller Dometic and have been having some issues with it. Dometic customer service has been kind of a pain as well.
Good to know - I will check it out - thanks for the recommendation!

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very impressed with the cost and weight savings of these units! Any experience on how good/bad they are? I've become more of a fan of "buy once, cry once" but I could almost buy 3 of these for the price of the ARB Element.
I have used my APL35 on a trip yet, just tested indoors when it arrived. Cools down to freezing very quickly.

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The seal will certainly keep out dust and grime while the lid is latched, but think about every time you touch it. Opening closing, in and out. That’s where the dust will gain entrance.

GeoBike

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Engel. They're virtually unbreakable. Had one fall off the back of a ute with just cosmetic damage. Had them for work (exploration geologist) for over 35 years. Would not consider anything plastic. Currently own the Gold 5oth anniversary 40l.

NotHerDecision

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I second Engel. They’re simply just the best they have a special compressor that draws like 1 amp and we had them on our boat for years.

Back
Top Bottom