The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

warning - self locking grenadier with keys inside

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:19 PM
Reaction score
Dave, firstly I was watching the car the whole time, which is why it was safe to leave them, where they wouldn't get wet. Secondly, anyone (from Samaria or anywhere else:) could not lock the car then put the keys inside.
I assume it works the old way.
You open the door, push the outside button in with your thumb
Lock the door using the button on the inside and then close the door and release the outside button.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I can't imagine that Jim himself would emerge from a quick swim in Iceland or Botswana and be happy his car was keeping his keys, phone and radio prisoner where he left them....
I reckon he shops online

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:19 AM
Reaction score
If the key isn't a proximity key there is nothing to sense.
When i travel I always take the spare key with me in case the main key is locked in, damaged or lost.
i work on the theory there is very little chance both keys will get locked in the car.
you can of course hide a spare key somewhere on the outside of the vehicle.
A bit of busted rubble, concrete, limb from tree can always get you in too!!!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A bit of busted rubble, concrete, limb from tree can always get you in too!!!
a mate of mine had a small box screwed to the underside of the vehicle with a spare key in it.
Worse case he would need to borrow or buy a screwdriver.
Conversely my wife uses a key lock box on the outside of the car but i had to show her why she shouldn't fasten it to the drivers door handle.
After all, proximity is proximity

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
As long as no electrickery gets moist.
I don't think insurance covers the $$$ modern keys.

Jiman01

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:19 PM
Reaction score
Since this happened, have you been able to replicate the autolock? How many minutes does it take to lock your doors?

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine locks itself - unlock the car and then fail to do owt it then locks itself. As did both my Range Rovers and Ford Fiesta. The Citroen always locks itself when you walk away. Never leave keys in such a vehicle is the rule IMO.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As long as no electrickery gets moist.
I don't think insurance covers the $$$ modern keys.
Purely as an emergency car entry key only, to retrieve a locked in key, just use a blank cut but not coded, it should open the door and with no electronics in a blank handle isn't an issue if it gets moist. For my spare "hidden" house key it is an a small plastic bag sprayed with WD40 and forgotten about for years. (Mind you when I need it I can't remember where I've hidden it 🔑 )

Last edited:

Jiman01

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if its a European standard? From my experience in Fords and LRs on this side of the pond, they do not autolock.

I leave my keys in my Defender regularly and used to with pretty much every vehicle I owned that was garage kept. Between my wife and I that’s around nine different brands/models…interesting.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if its a European standard? From my experience in Fords and LRs on this side of the pond, they do not autolock.

I leave my keys in my Defender regularly and used to with pretty much every vehicle I owned that was garage kept. Between my wife and I that’s around nine different brands/models…interesting.
I don't think L/R this side of the pond auto lock- well mine doesn't cos I often leave the keys inside when it is on my drive and I know I'm going to use it again that day

Last edited:

Jiman01

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't think L/R this side of the pond auto lock- well mind doesn't cos I often leave the keys inside when it is on my drive and I know I'm going to use it again that day
I wonder what it is? Could it vary by country, model? What’s ironic, and completely opposite of the OPs issue, is that I’ve owned several vehicles that won’t let you lock the door, even if you physically hit the doors lock button, if your keys are in the car.

TBH, I thought when I first read the OP’s post, that maybe he accidentally hit the lock button on the door on his way out and didn’t notice. 🤷🏻‍♂️

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

My Defender 110 doesn’t autolock either but it is a 1996 build with somewhat questionable door security.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly the same as the Grenadier key and so many other keys
My Mercedes key and my wifes mini key both have physical keys hidden in them that open the doors.
Easy enough to use the one from the spare and hide it on the vehicle.
is a mini key a smaller version of a standard key?

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have left the keys in mine overnight. It didn’t lock. I’ll be more careful now.

Unless there is a hidden setting somewhere?
Or could you have somehow hit the lock button on the door on exit? Seems unlikely but ???

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A locksmith may be able to cut just a blade key to take swimming with you or hide outside somewhere

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A locksmith may be able to cut just a blade key to take swimming with you or hide outside somewhere
This is one of the main benefits of the spare wheel lock box. You lock the main key in it and take the little box key swimming.

Back
Top Bottom