The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

US Trailer hitch problems

ZemTyrion

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:19 PM
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who finds this universal hitch to be a problem. I understand it is one piece of hardware used differently around the world, but that isn't really ideal. The first problem I have is this huge flange. It is difficult to get a hitch pin in there, and a locking pin is nearly impossible. I think I will try the Rhino one because they key goes on the end. I spend entirely too long battling this every time I try to hook up something different.

Even more strange is the 2in channel seems to be a finger trap. I have some hitched that won't even go into it. Maybe it is a matter of the tolerance for "2 in". More hitched, racks, or whatever just get stuck. I can wiggle them side to side and up and down, but they won't come out. Twice I have had to use a ratchet strap and a mallet. I've never seen anything like that before. One was for a bike rack and the other just a basic hitch.

I guess this is a three part question. Is anyone else seeing this finger trap problem? Is there some trick to working around this huge flange to get pins in there? And is anyone aware of someone coming out with an aftermarket US spec hitch that will make this go away?

OldSoldier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:19 PM
Reaction score
I have the standard 2" CURT hitch from Autozone or Oreilly and it fits fine. My older hitch needed some "Grease" (ie i needed to sand the rust off) and it fit fine. For the pin, I attach on the left side, going straight up parallel to the hitch itself. Works fine.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:19 PM
Reaction score
I bought a hitch extender to clear the spare wheel. Both the extender and my 1Up bike rack fit the Grenadier fine.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:19 PM
Reaction score
I bought a hitch extender to clear the spare wheel. Both the extender and my 1Up bike rack fit the Grenadier fine.
How many bikes do you have on the rack?

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:19 PM
Reaction score
I use paclock's trailer lock. I have a bunch of their locks keyed alike -i'm super happy with them. And i love that all my locks share the same key, i basically have all my locks for the car and the trailer keyed alike. fits perfectly (and the blue color works well with my shale blue gren).

Back
Top Bottom