The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Urban Automotive Black Shadow Side Steps

BigJock2024

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:33 AM
Reaction score
I liked the look and proportions of these steps so ordered up a pair of the single bar variety.
I went out to fit them this weekend, thinking four bolts would be an absolute POP and I'd be done in 20 mins.
Unfortunately, when I offered the bar up, and put the M10 bolts loosely into the front mounting holes, the rear would not line up.
I'm not talking a mm here, which could be persuaded to comply, I'm talking a good 4-6mm on each side.
I double-checked everything to make sure I had the right sides, right orientation and right mounting holes, but nothing would work.
These are heavy duty steps, and the mounting arms are 3mm steel, probably a good 2-3" wide, so there is zero chance of give.
I've contacted Urban who responded straight away saying that they are looking into it, and that they've not had a single return or case like this.
Obviously, it's only fair I give them a chance to look into it, and then come back to me with some ideas/solutions.
Maybe they've just sent the wrong size and there's a vehicle out there that's close, but not close enough!

steps-misalignment-M10.jpg

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and if any forum members would be good enough to confirm the c-t-c distance of the front and rear mounting holes, and give me thoughts on the size of the misalignment in my photo (for reference, these are 10mm holes, so you can see they are a good 4-6mm out).
I'm pretty experienced at this stuff having fitted all manner of kit to Land Rovers and Range Roves over the years, neer mind clutches, turbos, water pumps, brake cylinders and prop shafts... so I'm fairly confident it's not me.

I'll update everyone on the response from Urban and how I get on. It's knocked my confidence in them, but every company can make a mistake - it's how they deal with it that counts, so here's hoping!!

Thanks!

BigJock2024

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:33 AM
Reaction score
I liked the look and proportions of these steps so ordered up a pair of the single bar variety.
I went out to fit them this weekend, thinking four bolts would be an absolute POP and I'd be done in 20 mins.
Unfortunately, when I offered the bar up, and put the M10 bolts loosely into the front mounting holes, the rear would not line up.
I'm not talking a mm here, which could be persuaded to comply, I'm talking a good 4-6mm on each side.
I double-checked everything to make sure I had the right sides, right orientation and right mounting holes, but nothing would work.
These are heavy duty steps, and the mounting arms are 3mm steel, probably a good 2-3" wide, so there is zero chance of give.
I've contacted Urban who responded straight away saying that they are looking into it, and that they've not had a single return or case like this.
Obviously, it's only fair I give them a chance to look into it, and then come back to me with some ideas/solutions.
Maybe they've just sent the wrong size and there's a vehicle out there that's close, but not close enough!

View attachment 7862790

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and if any forum members would be good enough to confirm the c-t-c distance of the front and rear mounting holes, and give me thoughts on the size of the misalignment in my photo (for reference, these are 10mm holes, so you can see they are a good 4-6mm out).
I'm pretty experienced at this stuff having fitted all manner of kit to Land Rovers and Range Roves over the years, neer mind clutches, turbos, water pumps, brake cylinders and prop shafts... so I'm fairly confident it's not me.

I'll update everyone on the response from Urban and how I get on. It's knocked my confidence in them, but every company can make a mistake - it's how they deal with it that counts, so here's hoping!!

Thanks!
I definitely had a hard time installing mine. Here is the thread where we share tips: https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...rsale-option.12412560/page-11#post-1333243733

BigJock2024

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
The team at Urban got back to me pretty quick.
They offered, as a gesture of good will, to fit the steps if I took them round to the workshop.
I did this, and they fitted them there and then. They also sorted a scratch I had managed to get on the step for a small charge.
So I left with a perfect set of fitted steps which I'm very happy with.
Great service from the lads there and a shout-out to Reece the production manager.
Will fire up a picture as soon as I can get the truck back in the driveway.

My only words of caution are that they are solid and very heavy units, and while that's obviously a good thing, you might need a bit of proper elbow grease and some decent tools to get them on - clearly more than I had!

Back
Top Bottom