The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

(UPDATE: 3D Printed sunglasses holder for overhead). NOW WITH STL FILES TO PRINT.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:28 PM
Reaction score
@MileHigh: maybe you can make the holder a tiny bit smaller so the bambulab guys can print it. šŸ˜‰ there is the max 256mm. Otherwise I have to print it on my cr-10 in less good quality.

The issue is that the holes for the screws are at the edges. While this prints as one piece, I guess it could be designed to print in parts, with a smaller central area for glasses and some other parts that would reach to the holes. This is designed in tinkerCAD and it seems that the longer you mess with a model and try to add steps, the more likely it is it get corrupted. I have a bunch of other projects also in the works.

Iā€™m going to get some flockin material to protect the glasses from the CF filled PETG. And I have the lower profile version to instal. After I get the material and it mounted, Iā€™ll try to post some STL files.

Iā€™m also trying to get to the Western Expo or whatever it is called tomorrow (Sunday), and Iā€™ll have a bunch of parts Iā€™m messing with. Probably hang out with my homies at the Red Noland booth.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Attached it on my way out for dinner. Donā€™t have the files posted yet. Not totally happy with how it locks up, but it works with some trimming. Can see the switches in front.

Attachments

• IMG_6788.jpeg
    IMG_6788.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6787.jpeg
    IMG_6787.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6786.jpeg
    IMG_6786.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Posted on Printables website:

That is the low-pro version that I have mounted right now. The door isnā€™t perfect, takes a little finesse to get it to close perfect. I havenā€™t had it off-road yet to really bang it around.

The garage door opener functionality is BETA. Just too many variables, but that is what the three ā€œtabsā€ are.

Not a small print. But it prints pretty well, something like 3 hours for the door (3 color) and 3 for the base.

Iā€™ve also included it with out any doors or features for if you wanted to try to use it for something else.

This is designed to go over the current console. It is a three-panel piece, and Iā€™d have to cut it to get the extra room. Iā€™ll see how this works before going that far.

ENJOY! (?)

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Still tweaking it. Iā€™ve used PETG/carbon-Fiber up until now, and it doesnā€™t print that clean on my XL. I have some ASA/Glass-fiber that prints well on my MK4, so Iā€™m trying that filament. CF or GF will inherently be kind of rough, which is god for low gloss, but not great for sunglasses. I tried gluing some soft fabric, but that is a PITA. So I loaded up some Flex filament I had laying around and added a layer to the inside of door and have printed that. Second time worked better. Trying it now with the ASA-GF and the flex. Weā€™ll see if it prints better. The flex is also where the bolt goes, and it rattle a bit in the GEN1 version. The flex seems to quiet that, plus the edges of the door are flex, so they arenā€™t as prone to rattle.

Iā€™ve also modā€™d the design to print with out supports. Last thing is the ā€˜holdā€™ mechanism, which right now is magnets, which I donā€™t think it actually needs and are a PITA to insert.

Back
Top Bottom