The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Truck Vault Installed

ShootingCar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:01 AM
Reaction score
My Truck Vault Drawer was delivered and I installed it yesterday. I have more work to do such as anchoring it down and fitting some side covers in but it’s functional as is.

As has been evident in my comments and posts on the forum, I’ve been searching for a drawer system before I received my truck as I use it to carry my shotguns for bird hunting and shooting.

I’ve had four different Truck Vaults for 20 years including this one to fit my trucks.

Per this forum, I have found that there are several companies in the offroad world such as Tuffy Products, Diabolical, Drifta, Black Sheep, Overlander Woodworks, and LeTech. All of these products seem to have a following online on the various Grenadier Forums and meet others needs but I have just become attuned to my sporting needs.
I ordered an oversized Weathertech mat and cut it to fit the top. My dog crates will fit on top for travel and hunting.

I’m still figuring out if the Truck Vault Slide put table will fit height wise for my crates.

I will fill in more details on my drawer build to come such as using and covering the side areas for storage.

Attachments

• IMG_0780.jpeg
    IMG_0780.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0788.jpeg
    IMG_0788.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0786.jpeg
    IMG_0786.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0785.jpeg
    IMG_0785.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0784.jpeg
    IMG_0784.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0783.jpeg
    IMG_0783.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0778.jpeg
    IMG_0778.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 76

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
What is the depth of the drawer? Any idea as to how many rifles might fit diagonally in the drawer?

ShootingCar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think it was 47”. It will fit my 28 ga over under but only one diagonally. I have mostly take down shotguns and cases.

This was a drawer from their outlet for a Police Unit it had a hydraulic lift for it which I removed.

But it fits perfectly for my truck. Truck Vault doesn’t have a Grenadier model in their system as they haven’t had the access to one to measure it. I provided them with my measurements. I believe I have the room to put the 4 1/2” tall slide out table under this drawer but it may not allow for my dog crates to fit under the ceiling. This is a work in progress.

Attachments

• IMG_0799.jpeg
    IMG_0799.jpeg
    438.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Jons

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:01 PM
Reaction score
I think it was 47”. It will fit my 28 ga over under but only one diagonally. I have mostly take down shotguns and cases.

This was a drawer from their outlet for a Police Unit it had a hydraulic lift for it which I removed.

But it fits perfectly for my truck. Truck Vault doesn’t have a Grenadier model in their system as they haven’t had the access to one to measure it. I provided them with my measurements. I believe I have the room to put the 4 1/2” tall slide out table under this drawer but it may not allow for my dog crates to fit under the ceiling. This is a work in progress.
That looks really nice , are you planning on having dog crates on top , and if so what size and make are you using ?
I’m trying to figure out what crates to use myself , after 30 years the intermediate pet porters are looking a little rough , I also had to cut around the door flange so it wouldn’t interfere with the Grenadier’s large rear door latch.
Eric

ShootingCar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I started out with the Pet Porters plastic crates in 1985 and used them well until about 2000. I then went to the black rectangular wire crates medium sized thet are 20” wide by 24” tall by 30” long. They worked great and I could fit two in on the truck vaults in my Explorer, Suburbans and Land Cruisers. With this truck I can only fit one in on the passenger side and a small wire crate on the driver side for our smaller dog.
I plan to go to smaller cockers next so the smaller crates with work for us then.
The wire crates allow us to see through the back doors.

Jons

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I started out with the Pet Porters plastic crates in 1985 and used them well until about 2000. I then went to the black rectangular wire crates medium sized thet are 20” wide by 24” tall by 30” long. They worked great and I could fit two in on the truck vaults in my Explorer, Suburbans and Land Cruisers. With this truck I can only fit one in on the passenger side and a small wire crate on the driver side for our smaller dog.
I plan to go to smaller cockers next so the smaller crates with work for us then.
The wire crates allow us to see through the back doors.
I may try the two single MIM Variocage large, there just under 22” wide and telescope in length from just under 30” to just over 40” . The Grenadier is a bit of a challenge coming from 100 series LC .

ShootingCar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes same here coming from a Series 100 to two Series 200’s and now the Grenadier.

Here was my former 200 set up. I loved it but will adapt to my Grenadier now too.

Attachments

• IMG_2417.jpeg
    IMG_2417.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Jons

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes same here coming from a Series 100 to two Series 200’s and now the Grenadier.

Here was my former 200 set up. I loved it but will adapt to my Grenadier now too.
Do I see a Gordon ? I have had couple over the years , wonderful dogs !
I currently have English setters .

Attachments

• IMG_2361.jpeg
    IMG_2361.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2116.jpeg
    IMG_2116.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39

ShootingCar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, that’s my current 12 year old Gordon Setter, Maicie. She’s my third Gordon. I’ve also had two English Setters and two English Springer Spaniels in my bird hunting life. Like I said, I plan to go to an English Cocker next to downsize at 64 years old.

ShootingCar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
More details about the Truck Vault:

The outlet model vault I purchased is 40” wide by 31” deep x 12 5/8” tall with a 10 1/8” deep drawer. Because of the Grenadiers short depth of cargo area of only about 32” the size of the Truck Vault I am glad that it is the taller height of 10” inside for more storage that is accessible with the pull out drawer.

I have in the past on my other trucks and will use the side gaps on this truck for additional storage such as for my recovery shovel and axe and other stuff to go in there and will make removable planks to cover those spaces to have a complete flat supported surface between the wheel wells. These are typically provided by Truck Vault as they call them wings on their custom or standard builds when they get the Grenadier into their system.

It is possible to make this truck slightly wider and deeper to allow for a slightly longer diagonal space for longer guns. I chose this outlet model due to it was on sale and feel that it was good enough for me.
The standard depths of the Truck Vaults are about 6.5”, 8.5” and 10.5”.

I’ve had models in all three depths and for my gun storage needs the max depth works the best for me.

Like I said before, I have a quote for a Truck Vault slide out table to install under this drawer unit to become my tailgate for cleaning dogs, guns and birds on. But I need to re-evaluate the available height for my dog crates.

The Truck Vault is not cheap and shipping them is expensive. So it’s not for everyone.

My thoughts are they are suited for those of us sportspeople who have expensive hand made guns that want them locked up and secure and protected from getting beat up thus they are carpet lined etc.
Like I said, this is my fourth one and am hooked on them. If I were an Off-roader who is camping in my truck or has fridges with slide outs etc there would be other manufacturers systems that would be more applicable.

Thanks
Jeff

Last edited:

Jons

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
More details about the Truck Vault:

The outlet model vault I purchased is 40” wide by 31” deep x 12 5/8” tall with a 10 1/8” deep drawer. Because of the Grenadiers short depth of cargo area of only about 32” the size of the Truck Vault I am glad that it is the taller height of 10” inside for more storage that is accessible with the pull out drawer.

I have in the past on my other trucks and will use the side gaps on this truck for additional storage such as for my recovery shovel and axe and other stuff to go in there and will make removable planks to cover those spaces to have a complete flat supported surface between the wheel wells. These are typically provided by Truck Vault as they call them wings on their custom or standard builds when they get the Grenadier into their system.

It is possible to make this truck slightly wider and deeper to allow for a slightly longer diagonal space for longer guns. I chose this outlet model due to it was on sale and feel that it was good enough for me.
The standard depths of the Truck Vaults are about 6.5”, 8.5” and 10.5”.

I’ve had models in all three depths and for my gun storage needs the max depth works the best for me.

Like I said before, I have a quote for a Truck Vault slide out table to install under this drawer unit to become my tailgate for cleaning dogs, guns and birds on. But I need to re-evaluate the available height for my dog crates.

The Truck Vault is not cheap and shipping them is expensive. So it’s not for everyone.

My thoughts are they are suited for those of us sportspeople who have expensive hand made guns that want them locked up and secure and protected from getting beat up thus they are carpet lined etc.
Like I said, this is my fourth one and am hooked on them. If I were an Off-roader who is camping in my truck or has fridges with slide outs etc there would be other manufacturers systems that would be more applicable.

Thanks
Jeff
I’m considering putting a table under my box as well , what is holding me back right know is this will raise the box another 3” and I’m worried my dog my not be able to jump up into the crate , I’m actually surprised that he can currently jump in with a 9” box .
Eric

ShootingCar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My intention is to use the slide out table as a tailgate for my dog to jump onto and then jump from it into the crate. That’s what’s worked for me for years with my Land Cruisers.

Jons

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My intention is to use the slide out table as a tailgate for my dog to jump onto and then jump from it into the crate. That’s what’s worked for me for years with my Land Cruisers.
I was thinking the same thing , having the dogs jump up onto the table. My plan was to have the table come out on drawer slides,but my concern is that it may close as they jump up on it . If you end up going with the table let me know how it works out , as I would really like to have the table /tailgate .

Back
Top Bottom