The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Theft Prevention

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:47 PM
Reaction score
Whilst you can’t beat the visual deterrent, like a vicious snarling “stop oil” protester sat in your vehicle full time, I have been giving some thought to add on immobilisers. Either the secret kill engine switch or a more professional al fob style. At work they have a little box in the vehicles and the cars won’t start unless you wave a credit card across the box.

Simple things but enough to frustrate most car thieves for long enough for the to get nervous and clear off.

I will also be fitting a streetwize tracker (basic but works) and an AirTag. Just so I can see where it is, if someone does borrow it.
Think I would like any would be thief to know there are immobilisers or similar fitted in the hope they conclude it’s too difficult to steal. The problem with a stealth device is the thief may still break a window to get in, damage the steering lock or steering column in an attempt to steal the vehicle before realising he is defeated.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
Think I would like any would be thief to know there are immobilisers or similar fitted in the hope they conclude it’s too difficult to steal. The problem with a stealth device is the thief may still break a window to get in, damage the steering lock or steering column in an attempt to steal the vehicle before realising he is defeated.

Point taken. I’ll make sure I put a sign in the window that there are trackers and immobiliser switches in the vehicle and where they are located.

The first sentence sort of set out my feeling on that….well so I thought

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:47 AM
Reaction score
For an extended period of time away I reckon the best option would be using that bolt under the transfer case to shunt it into neutral for towing would be the go. That would fool about 100% of would be thieves these days I reckon. A bit like throwing the Hi/Lo lever into neutral in the old days.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
I have added quality front and rear Dashcams, an additional Immobiliser and a Tracker - the NFU will not give a penny discount!
Anyone else managed to gain a discount? Especially from the NFU?
The only way to get anything out of NFU is to fit stuff they have already approved. Most trackers they will not consider, but they will accept a "Tracker", https://www.tracker.co.uk/, the expensive one. Any other anti-theft device has to be Thatcham approved to have a prayer.

My old LR110CSW. insured with NFU for 14 years had a X-Eng footbox and a SkyTag tracker and neither were considered good for a discount, even though the footbox saved the truck more than once.

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The only way to get anything out of NFU is to fit stuff they have already approved. Most trackers they will not consider, but they will accept a "Tracker", https://www.tracker.co.uk/, the expensive one. Any other anti-theft device has to be Thatcham approved to have a prayer.

My old LR110CSW. insured with NFU for 14 years had a X-Eng footbox and a SkyTag tracker and neither were considered good for a discount, even though the footbox saved the truck more than once.
It does surprise me as generally NFU are quite good. I had a Tracker on my caravan and they wouldn’t give a discount so I cancelled it and saved the money! All very odd in my view.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have added quality front and rear Dashcams, an additional Immobiliser and a Tracker - the NFU will not give a penny discount!

when you get a mo could you advise what tracker and immobiliser you have fitted. Interested fitting similar myself.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It does surprise me as generally NFU are quite good. I had a Tracker on my caravan and they wouldn’t give a discount so I cancelled it and saved the money! All very odd in my view.
Ah but if my ram gets out and tups all the ewes in my neighbours field they sort it for me 🤣

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Keen to see how you’ve set up your dashcams / powered them up when you get a minute please John.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They will for sure to protect you from beeing illegally tracked…
There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to remove the little speaker so a AirTag won’t chirp meaning they will take longer to find it. By the time the thief has found it you should have a location (as they’ve only known about it because they’ve got an iPhone).

Sure, it’s not as good as a proper tracking service, but it’s a cheap and easy measure nonetheless.

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hello John
Fingers crossed for my Fieldmaster next week. What DAshcam did you choose and who fitted ?

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hello John
Fingers crossed for my Fieldmaster next week. What DAshcam did you choose and who fitted ?
Hi, I tried to message you but get a message that your inbox has exceeded its quota or similar! Happy to DM you but would rather not tell the world what actual security system I have! Can you DM me and I will try again!

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi, I tried to message you but get a message that your inbox has exceeded its quota or similar! Happy to DM you but would rather not tell the world what actual security system I have! Can you DM me and I will try again!
Hi John not sure how to empty my inbox.

Back
Top Bottom