The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Theft Prevention

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:41 PM
Reaction score
Thinking ahead to eventually owning an IG, starting to give some thought to anti-theft devices. Considering the wait involved so far I would like to do the utmost to prevent any scroat knicking my beloved!

I already use on the D4;
a) steering wheel lock
b) false interface wiring
c) turned off keyless entry,

thinking perhaps a fuel shut-off valve + hidden switch would be a prudent measure, something along these lines;

Was wondering whether anyone already uses such a device on their car and whether they'd consider something similar again or other methods.

Thanks

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:41 AM
Reaction score
Thinking ahead to eventually owning an IG, starting to give some thought to anti-theft devices. Considering the wait involved so far I would like to do the utmost to prevent any scroat knicking my beloved!

I already use on the D4;
a) steering wheel lock
b) false interface wiring
c) turned off keyless entry,

thinking perhaps a fuel shut-off valve + hidden switch would be a prudent measure, something along these lines;

Was wondering whether anyone already uses such a device on their car and whether they'd consider something similar again or other methods.

Thanks
It comes with a pretty comprehensive security system as standard. Car theft is relatively low in Australia however exists. Insurance statistics show that 70% of cars are stolen while parked at home and the majority of these are stolen using the keys that the owners leave near the vehicle. Key hook or bowl just inside the door from the garage or front door. Often people parking their car in the garage and then leaving the garage door open. Or parking in the driveway and having a garage remote in the vehicle often in plain site.

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It comes with a pretty comprehensive security system as standard. Car theft is relatively low in Australia however exists. Insurance statistics show that 70% of cars are stolen while parked at home and the majority of these are stolen using the keys that the owners leave near the vehicle. Key hook or bowl just inside the door from the garage or front door. Often people parking their car in the garage and then leaving the garage door open. Or parking in the driveway and having a garage remote in the vehicle often in plain site.
Why we subsidise such stupidity through our insurance is beyond me. There needs to be a policy that excludes coverage for acts of wanton stupidity so we can avoid paying for these buffoons.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Why we subsidise such stupidity through our insurance is beyond me. There needs to be a policy that excludes coverage for acts of wanton stupidity so we can avoid paying for these buffoons.
Go for a walk around any neighbourhood and you will see many open garage doors with nobody around. a lot of people only close them when they go to bed

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Go for a walk around any neighbourhood and you will see many open garage doors with nobody around. a lot of people only close them when they go to bed
Yep I see it, but it's by no means a majority. And those people do it because they don't wear the consequences.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Back around 2006 my wife came home from stand up paddle boarding, parked in the garage but left the door open, as she was only running inside to have a quick shower and get changed then going straight back out. It was about 10.00am. I work from home and I looked out of my office to see a large young guy standing in my kitchen. He had stolen some stuff from the car and followed her into the house. I chased him out the back door but didn't catch him. He had grabbed my wallet, sunglasses and keys from the kitchen bench. Luckily I had a good look at him and the car he jumped into. The cops grabbed him about an hour later. He was just cruising around neighbourhoods in a stolen car looking for open garage doors. Damn lucky I was home. My wife now always closes the garage door.

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Very lucky you were home. Messy situation to be in if he decided to fight rather than leave too. No such thing as castle doctrine in Australia, you'd probably spend a years salary defending yourself in court.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Personally, I leave my keys at the front door for this very reason.
If someone is willing to break into my house to steal my keys, I would prefer that they take them from the front door rather than hunt me down in my house and beat me and my family up, or even threaten to, just so I tell them where I have "hidden" my keys.
Far too many occasions of this happening I am afraid. I don't care what insurance companies want me to do to keep my keys safe. I would prefer to keep my family safe.
A $600 Insurance excess on a stolen car, is far better than my family getting physically or mentally scarred just because I have tried to save the insurance company some money.
Call me a buffoon - I don't care.

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:41 PM
Reaction score
I use this as anti-theft. It has a bypass with fuse so the electronics work further if the key is removed. When a thief starts the car the fuse blows, everything is dead. To investigate in this takes too much time for the thief.

Forgot to mention: It is called „Natoknochen“. 😎

Attachments

• 7C211059-A58D-474E-BF21-A9662EBE21A9.jpeg
    7C211059-A58D-474E-BF21-A9662EBE21A9.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
That's a smart solution. (y)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
That's a smart solution. (y)
Pissed off thieves might poo in the front seat, for a start.
Aren't GPS trackers useful for finding stolen cars?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In addition to the standard theft prevention set up, IG is offering the option of a Thatcham Class 1 device for an extra few hundred dollars.. I've not been able to determine the make of the device, only that it has been given the highest rating (Class 1) by the Thatcham Research organisation... so it should prevent an "opportunistic"hot wiring attempt. I do like the blueTdi idea ! As mentioned above however, most vehicles are stolen by thieves getting access to the keys ....

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Personally, I leave my keys at the front door for this very reason.
If someone is willing to break into my house to steal my keys, I would prefer that they take them from the front door rather than hunt me down in my house and beat me and my family up, or even threaten to, just so I tell them where I have "hidden" my keys.
Far too many occasions of this happening I am afraid. I don't care what insurance companies want me to do to keep my keys safe. I would prefer to keep my family safe.
A $600 Insurance excess on a stolen car, is far better than my family getting physically or mentally scarred just because I have tried to save the insurance company some money.
Call me a buffoon - I don't care.
It’s your right to do that, I just don’t see why others should pay for it.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You could say that about most things when it comes to car Insurance. Why should I pay for your or anyone else’s “risky” driving decisions???

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
> most vehicles are stolen by thieves getting access to the keys ....

With the blueTdi concept they simply can't.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
You could say that about most things when it comes to car Insurance. Why should I pay for your or anyone else’s “risky” driving decisions???
German jurisprudence distinguishes between 'negligent' and 'grossly negligent'. An insurance usually won't pay in the latter case whilst they do in the first case.

In Germany, if you leave your car parked with open windows or unlocked, this is already considered 'grossly negligent' and you won't get money if the car gets stolen. Even harder: if someone without a driving licenses steals the car in such a case and has an accident, you will be held liable for the damage and/or the injuries.

So the question boils down to what is "grossly negligent". "Risky driving" may not be - if only because "risky" is not clearly defined. Serving the car on a silver platter even when the key is within reach may be.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Because I can't afford to pay for all of them myself. It is nice to share. Honestly I was surprised to find at my age and with the vehicle I am driving I am considered very low risk. Bet they would change their mind if they sat in the passenger seat for an hour.

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Isn't that the whole reason insurance exists?
In most western countries there a principle of mitigation where the insured person should take reasonable steps to mitigate accident or loss. I.e if there are slowly rising floodwaters and you leave your car to be flooded you have not taken reasonable steps to protect the vehicle and the insurer may not cover the loss.

Back
Top Bottom