The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The factory service intervals seem crazy to me

Local time
1:55 PM
Reaction score
I’m curious about everyone’s opinion on here about the factory service intervals. 12,000 miles seems like a LONG time to me to be running the same oil - synthetic or not. On the flip side calling for differential services at 12,000 miles seems out there as well! The conspiracy side of me says this is a marketing thing to work around the lack of a dealer network in regards to the engine oil changes.

I’m curious to anyone’s opinions. Has anyone on here completed a Blackstone oil sample analysis at the first 12,000 service?

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
This is a European car with service intervals built into the system in terms of time, miles and hours running, you can see the counters in the screen options. We don't do Jiffi-Lube in Europe; vehicles under warranty go to a dealer. As the vehicle has a 5 year warranty, it is worth some effort to keep it valid.

Now, theoretically, anyone should be able to do the servicing work, so long as they used the OEM parts and the correct oils and kept the receipts. As the service manual is not currently available to any retail customer or non-Ineos dealer, I suspect you, (and I), have a problem.

At the moment only the dealers can reset the service counters; a consequence of Ineos writing their own software. You can change your own oil, making sure you use the right oil and filters, keeping the receipts, but you will just have to put up with the erroneous service reminders, (and they can get a bit insistent), until you visit a dealer. It does not brick the vehicle, (unlike HP and Brother printers - use their service contract, don't ever dare to cancel/not pay up).

The manual and access to a service tool was part of the original marketing but the open-source utopia crashed into Intellectual Property issues, non-authorised release of technical details to unqualified persons, rumoured dealer greed, real politik and "not invented here"; it was part of the sales contract to me, so I'll be going down the UK Consumer Goods, 'fit for purpose, goods as advertised" route eventually. What the USA equivalent is, I don't know, I sorry. I do know that Right to Repair does not cover it; that just means that non-Ineos dealers should be able to get access to data at some point in the future.

Local time
Reaction score
Mmmmmm’hmmmm

Well, after all of that, yes the interval for oil is longer than normal, and the interval for the differential is much shorter than normal. Manufacturers seem motivated to push oil interval out further and further as if oil technology is the only reason to change the oil. I would ignore that and do 2-3000 for the first then 5-7000 there after. The diff is kinda odd. I‘ll do it, but, I wonder why they feel that’s necessary. It is a good question.

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:55 AM
Reaction score
I’m curious about everyone’s opinion on here about the factory service intervals. 12,000 miles seems like a LONG time to me to be running the same oil - synthetic or not. On the flip side calling for differential services at 12,000 miles seems out there as well! The conspiracy side of me says this is a marketing thing to work around the lack of a dealer network in regards to the engine oil changes.

I’m curious to anyone’s opinions. Has anyone on here completed a Blackstone oil sample analysis at the first 12,000 service?
Interesting that in Australia the service interval is 15,000km which is 9,300 miles - somewhat less than the 12000 mile interval you have been given

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
agree ddv, why the Australian distance service is 25% shorter than that recommended for US conditions - typically harsher conditions in Australia would seem the likely reason.

and remember that it's the earlier of 15,000km or 12 months in Australia

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:55 PM
Reaction score
I can not see any curiosity in the 12000 miles intervals at all. There are a lot cars here with intervals of 30000 km (approximately 18000 miles) and there normally are no problems with the motors.
I know that there are enough people who believe that the oil should be changed after 5000 miles or less. But I never read anything „scientific“ about this topic. It seems to be more of a „gut science“

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:55 PM
Reaction score
I can not see any curiosity in the 12000 miles intervals at all. There are a lot cars here with intervals of 30000 km (approximately 18000 miles) and there normally are no problems with the motors.
I know that there are enough people who believe that the oil should be changed after 5000 miles or less. But I never read anything „scientific“ about this topic. It seems to be more of a „gut science“
It's a regular debate on most forums. Some people are in the 5,000 miles camp, others say stick to the recommended intervals.
I suspect that for many Grenadier owners that 12 months will come up quite a bit quicker than 12,000 miles.

Mikeb62

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Australian diesel, differential oil changed at first 12month 15,000km service. Next change at 7 year or 105,000km

Last edited:

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:55 PM
Reaction score
someone posted before saying the diff oil at build is somehow a 'first oil type' and then changed to regular diff oil at first 12 mos service. Then it's good for a number of years.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mmmmmm’hmmmm

Well, after all of that, yes the interval for oil is longer than normal, and the interval for the differential is much shorter than normal. Manufacturers seem motivated to push oil interval out further and further as if oil technology is the only reason to change the oil. I would ignore that and do 2-3000 for the first then 5-7000 there after. The diff is kinda odd. I‘ll do it, but, I wonder why they feel that’s necessary. It is a good question.
Standard service interval for our Australian-delivered diesel vehicle is the earliest of 20,000kms/12months. We currently have about 50,000kms on the odometer (October ‘23 delivery).

We have ours presently set at the ‘arduous use’ interval (10,000km distance), which for us is a 6-8 week interval in terms of calendar time. This after a back-and-forth with Ineos HQ (who have been great) around how to best sustain the vehicle given our use.

Long distances on highway does not constitute arduous use, we use this service profile only when we have durations of sustained back country/remote use on unsealed roads/soft surfaces etc. I, like you it seems, prefer to err on the side of caution however.

If you’re planning to use your vehicle in similar demanding conditions, best indicate to your agent that this is the case and they will implement the arduous use duration.

While I look forward to being fully able to service the vehicle in the field, I’m happy to rely on Ineos dealers in the interests of both warranty and the accumulation of knowledge around how the vehicle performs as mileages increase.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just for comparison. My new 4x4 Sprinter, which I'll be getting in the next few weeks, has a service interval of 30,000 kilometres. And that's with a lawnmower engine with a capacity of less than 2 litres. The oil must be 400% better than the oils in the past. 😂
I continue to change my oils earlier. That depends entirely on the intended use on the vehicles Just like @globalgregors writes. But it's up to everyone what you do.

Last edited:

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Standard service interval for our Australian-delivered diesel vehicle is the earliest of 20,000kms/12months. We currently have about 50,000kms on the odometer (October ‘23 delivery).

We have ours presently set at the ‘arduous use’ interval (10,000km distance), which for us is a 6-8 week interval in terms of calendar time. This after a back-and-forth with Ineos HQ (who have been great) around how to best sustain the vehicle given our use.

Long distances on highway does not constitute arduous use, we use this service profile only when we have durations of sustained back country/remote use on unsealed roads/soft surfaces etc. I, like you it seems, prefer to err on the side of caution however.

If you’re planning to use your vehicle in similar demanding conditions, best indicate to your agent that this is the case and they will implement the arduous use duration.

While I look forward to being fully able to service the vehicle in the field, I’m happy to rely on Ineos dealers in the interests of both warranty and the accumulation of knowledge around how the vehicle performs as mileages increase.
That's odd about you having 20000k for your diesel service interval. My documentation and other documentation for my Australian diesel has the interval of 12 months or 15,000 whichever comes first. 15,000 is also what our agent understands to be the case

Last edited:

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:55 PM
Reaction score
I started getting the service reminder at around 10K+ miles. When it hit 22 days until service, I asked my dealer if I needed to wait until the 22 days were up before I could bring my Grenny in. He said, "no." Maintenance done and reminder reset. A software fix was also applied for the windshield wipers. My dealer didn't have any details for that. I thought that maybe it had to do with the vehicle continuing to signal left or right if I manually cancel a second or two after actuation.

Local time
Reaction score
The interval differences do seem odd. Engines in oz don’t see any harsher conditions than one that drives around Texas in the summer, or Wyoming when it’s -10 for a week.

My service interval practice is merely supposition. I had a friend in the Dino juice days that changed his sbc350 every 2000 miles and the engine was pristine after 300000 miles. I treat my 1.8l mgbgt the same way. My Toyota 2f’s go 3000. The additional mileage I add to synthetics is in recognition the oil is better. Am I wasting money and time? Is it anecdotal? Likely, but I’m one of those asshats that hates to pay wrench turners to do what I can do, and my 96 Gwagon 320 has 320000 miles on the original bottom end.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve changed my oil and filter twice. Now at 5k miles and only 14-days left on my service reminder. I spoke to the dealer and he said it should come on prior to 1-year or 12k miles, and that some do come on quite early. Dealer also said I don’t have to service now.

Last edited:

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

When did it change from 15,000km to 20,000km?

Attachments

• row-diesel-schedule-15-000km-12-months-v1-1-2 copy.pdf
    233.6 KB · Views: 10

ForceV4

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:55 AM
Reaction score
I tend to baby everything I own in terms of service. At 1000 miles I’ll replace the engine oil and do it again at 3000 miles - and then every 3000 thereafter. I’ll hit the differential and axles at 10,000, and every 10,000 thereafter. Always look forward to service, because I can, and I really enjoy it - and it’s paid off. Not sure how I’ll reset the service nanny, but the dealership is about 4 miles from the house. - Mark

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I heard somewhere that one of the reason for the long service intervals is to reduce the yearly maintenance costs. I assume that stricter environmental regulations also have an impact on this.

However, I think oil has come a long way and the long interval is not as bad as people assume. I have seen oil analysis (on the BMW forums) of engines that have followed manufacturers recommended intervals - the oil was still effective and had not degraded. But, this only applies to you if your use case is normal.

I have my own experience with following manufacturer recommended intervals. My wife's Range Rover has see 15k oil changes since new, it is now at 88k miles and drives like new with zero drivetrain issues. It does have a supercharger instead of a turbo though.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Along with long warranties and capped/fixed price servicing, I think extended service intervals on modern vehicles has less to do with maintenance and more to do with marketing. My opinion only.

In Australia, Kia were the first manufacturer to offer a 7-year unlimited mileage warranty. It's a marketing tool to convince buyers that Kia vehicles will give a long trouble free ownership experience or Kia will repair under warranty. Within a few years competing manufacturers were extending their warranty period to chase Kia. Did the durability of their product improve so they could backup a long warranty? No. They just fund any warranty repairs in the later years from the increased sales, having convinced buyers the product must be good or they wouldn't offer a long warranty. They also insist on compliance with the service schedules as a condition of the warranty.

It's unsurprising to me that we're seeing different Grenadier service schedules in different markets, disregarding any actual differences in operating conditions.

Reactions: ddv
Back
Top Bottom