The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel Surprising AdBlue usage.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:23 PM
Reaction score
Haven’t had an AdBlue diesel before so no ability for personal comparison. But from the reading I had done I was expecting a lot less consumption. I filled the tank to full at 1300km it had now done about 7300km and just had to put 11 litres in. So thats about 1.5 litres per 1000km. Car was heavily loaded but not towing.

Local time
11:23 AM
Reaction score
Haven’t had an AdBlue diesel before so no ability for personal comparison. But from the reading I had done I was expecting a lot less consumption. I filled the tank to full at 1300km it had now done about 7300km and just had to put 11 litres in. So thats about 1.5 litres per 1000km. Car was heavily loaded but not towing.
AdBlue (DEF) usage is generally around 1% to 8% of fuel usage. This may vary depending on engine load and driving conditions.
Buy AdBlue that is good quality and not in direct sunlight it does not tolerate UV very well. If it has a strong pee smell it has either expired, or has been excessively heat and UV affected. AdBlue has about a 12 month shelf life in a reasonable environment. Most new vehicle AdBlue (DEF) systems have a quality sensor in the tank that will give a fault code and derate or stop the car after some time if the fluid is not suitable.

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
1.5L/1000km sounds about right for a heavy weight haul (not towing).
My experience so far is about 1.1L /1000km over 4,400km, mostly highway, light luggage, driver +1. Av. fuel 11.4L/100km.. which reflects NQ94's estimates above.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds close. One of the Ineos guys suggested the 17L tank would last between 10,000 and 15,000km in normal use, less if towing etc.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds close. One of the Ineos guys suggested the 17L tank would last between 10,000 and 15,000km in normal use, less if towing etc.
I’ve been finding AdBlue on sale in 5L bottles at some country Ampols.
Popped one in a couple of days ago, could fit another in now.
Doesn’t seem overly inconvenient as yet…

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve been finding AdBlue on sale in 5L bottles at some country Ampols.
Popped one in a couple of days ago, could fit another in now.
Doesn’t seem overly inconvenient as yet…
For the first time ever today I actually got Bunnings to do a we will beat it by 10% price. Their normal price is $55 for 10lt, I found it at automotive superstore for $32 so paid about $29

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For the first time ever today I actually got Bunnings to do a we will beat it by 10% price. Their normal price is $55 for 10lt, I found it at automotive superstore for $32 so paid about $29
It's about $2 /litre from the pump at the local servo .... An empty 6L oil container washed thoroughly with hot detergent water and rinsed with demineralised water does an excellent job... including blocking the UV...

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's about $2 /litre from the pump at the local servo .... An empty 6L oil container washed thoroughly with hot detergent water and rinsed with demineralised water does an excellent job... including blocking the UV...
No one near me has AdBlue at the pump.

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Now I’ve done 7800kms on the vehicle, I can share that my AdBlue consumption is awful. So far 7500kms and 30 litres of Ad Blue used.

So 1 litre gets me 250kms

Over half of the mileage has been towing a big caravan: (these figures calculated the old fashioned way with a log book and fuel receipts)
  • 13.5l/100kms unhitched long journey (fully laden with Jerry cans on the roof)
  • 18.9l/100kms flattish towing (qld/nsw)
  • 20.6l/100kms Sydney South Coast to Bairnsdale
  • Vehicle weighted average running at 19.1 l/100kms
So AdBlue is 0.4 l/100kms which is 2% of my fuel consumption. And nearly 3 times what some people have mentioned here. As I am only half way of that to my service interval according to vehicle information will have filled the AdBlue tank at least 4 times over (more stops though because it starts nagging with around 3l left).

Have been lucky to find pumps and get it at around $1.90/l.

But pumping it in is the most painful procedure as any reasonable flow rate trips the trigger on the pump so its fill 1 second stop try as light as possible flow, trip after 3 seconds. I swear I tripped the flow trigger 150 times filling 12 litres and it took me 5-10 minutes and gave me sore forearm. This is not just one particular servo, but every pump I have used (3 different fuel stations).

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
On a side note just buy whatever is cheapest. It’s all the same. Believe it or not you can even drink the stuff.

• Wow
Reactions: PBD

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Now I’ve done 7800kms on the vehicle, I can share that my AdBlue consumption is awful. So far 7500kms and 30 litres of Ad Blue used.

So 1 litre gets me 250kms

Over half of the mileage has been towing a big caravan: (these figures calculated the old fashioned way with a log book and fuel receipts)
  • 13.5l/100kms unhitched long journey (fully laden with Jerry cans on the roof)
  • 18.9l/100kms flattish towing (qld/nsw)
  • 20.6l/100kms Sydney South Coast to Bairnsdale
  • Vehicle weighted average running at 19.1 l/100kms
So AdBlue is 0.4 l/100kms which is 2% of my fuel consumption. And nearly 3 times what some people have mentioned here. As I am only half way of that to my service interval according to vehicle information will have filled the AdBlue tank at least 4 times over (more stops though because it starts nagging with around 3l left).

Have been lucky to find pumps and get it at around $1.90/l.

But pumping it in is the most painful procedure as any reasonable flow rate trips the trigger on the pump so its fill 1 second stop try as light as possible flow, trip after 3 seconds. I swear I tripped the flow trigger 150 times filling 12 litres and it took me 5-10 minutes and gave me sore forearm. This is not just one particular servo, but every pump I have used (3 different fuel stations).
Those consumption numbers are not surprising. A 5k km lightly laden mainly highway trip cruising at 95-105km/hr returned a fuel consumption figure of 11.4/100km (diesel) and 1L/1000km for the AdBlue. I had to 'jiggle' the AdBlue nozzle to maximise the space in the filler neck for escaping air so that the bowser didn't keep stopping. I checked the AdBlue level as soon as I brought it home from the dealer. After going through its magic ritual, the display showed the level was 6L below the full mark.
Frankly, a "South African" tune (deleted AdBlue ) would be welcome. There's no legislative requirement for Euro 6 at the present time as far as I am aware anywhere in Australia. I stand corrected in advance if there is...

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On a side note just buy whatever is cheapest. It’s all the same. Believe it or not you can even drink the stuff.
Not quite like drinking one's own bathwater? AdBlue is 35-40% urea in water ...or 350-400g /per litre ...were you to ingest it in any reasonable quantity you would be feeling queasy at best and vomiting/diarrhoea/headaches probable. The LD50 of urea (Lethal dose causing 50% mortality ) in rats is half that of alcohol (so twice as toxic)l. Apparently it's been on the aperitif list more than once amongst callers to Poisons Info Centre hotlines :cool:

Aussie Battler

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not quite like drinking one's own bathwater? AdBlue is 35-40% urea in water ...or 350-400g /per litre ...were you to ingest it in any reasonable quantity you would be feeling queasy at best and vomiting/diarrhoea/headaches probable. The LD50 of urea (Lethal dose causing 50% mortality ) in rats is half that of alcohol (so twice as toxic)l. Apparently it's been on the aperitif list more than once amongst callers to Poisons Info Centre hotlines :cool:
On the plus side you could eat a lot of dry hay and stubble and put on condition ,it works with sheep

Back
Top Bottom