The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Spare tire locking mechanism?

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
3:37 PM
Reaction score
Well about five or six years ago my Mitsubishi L200 was in a garage on the south coast that was broken into. Many vehicles inc mine had windows smashed to get to the wheel nut key and many thousands of £s worth of wheels and tyres stolen.

There will always be exceptions to the rule, I totally concede that and if I understand rightly there were multiple vehicles all in one place ripe for the taking.

5-6 years ago would probably be about right for high scrap values as well, which might be another factor.

I am a real stickler for security, I will lock the back door to go to the toilet if I am home alone, however I didn’t even bother putting locking nuts on my Grenny alloys.

Obviously I don’t know for other countries, but thieves will steel lots more off a vehicle before they go for wheels these days.

Oh and if you didn’t put locking wheel nuts on your wheels at least you would have still have your windows intact and just missing alloys.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:37 PM
Reaction score
There will always be exceptions to the rule, I totally concede that and if I understand rightly there were multiple vehicles all in one place ripe for the taking.

5-6 years ago would probably be about right for high scrap values as well, which might be another factor.

I am a real stickler for security, I will lock the back door to go to the toilet if I am home alone, however I didn’t even bother putting locking nuts on my Grenny alloys.

Obviously I don’t know for other countries, but thieves will steel lots more off a vehicle before they go for wheels these days.

Oh and if you didn’t put locking wheel nuts on your wheels at least you would have still have your windows intact and just missing alloys.
Agreed and mine certainly won’t be stolen ,steel wheels and very battered BFG’s

C64_forever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:37 PM
Reaction score
I cannot remember getting so many responses to any of my earlier threads. And on a market down day like today. :)

The reason I asked the question in the first place is that my wife forced me to go through my promise to sell my old RRC if I got the Grenadier. The RRC went this weekend to my car broker in Sacramento so the Grenny is my daily driver now. We go quite often to Oakland for lunch and in my experience Oakland thieves steal first and figure out later what to do with the loot. Same in certain areas in San Francisco.

Oh well. I shall live dangerously and carry an unprotected spare tire. Or tyre, for all of you chaps in the UK.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I cannot remember getting so many responses to any of my earlier threads. And on a market down day like today. :)

The reason I asked the question in the first place is that my wife forced me to go through my promise to sell my old RRC if I got the Grenadier. The RRC went this weekend to my car broker in Sacramento so the Grenny is my daily driver now. We go quite often to Oakland for lunch and in my experience Oakland thieves steal first and figure out later what to do with the loot. Same in certain areas in San Francisco.

Oh well. I shall live dangerously and carry an unprotected spare tire. Or tyre, for all of you chaps in the UK.
If we're talking oakland then all bets are off :)

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
They are the devils work. Most have the tensile strength of a dairy milk bar.
And a lost/misplaced key for a wheel lock can spell real trouble during a time of need off-road (I once had to use a large can of Fix-A-Flat and a boost from my air compressor every 15 minutes to help get some young guys with a flat tire and a locked up spare on their Jeep back to civilization from Death Valley).

Back
Top Bottom