The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Solar Panel with MPPT charging the auxiliary battery via the roof outlet (without any re-wiring)?

Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum and there is a wealth of information. I am learning a lot while still waiting for the delivery.

I have searched the forum however don't seem to find a definitive answer as per the subject title.

i.e Can we charge the batteries (or perhaps only the auxiliary battery) via one of the Deutsch plugs on the roof (outlet) WITHOUT any re-wiring, provided the solar panel / blanket has its own MPPT controller?

Cheers,
Andersen

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:22 PM
Reaction score
Look up log splitter. He did it and documented. I don't have time to search but you will find it under him

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:22 PM
Reaction score
Look up log splitter. He did it and documented. I don't have time to search but you will find it under him
Sorry mate I haven't used the roof outlet Deutsch plugs for charging via solar. I use suitcase style solar panels with inbuilt mppt controllers via the jump start post under the bonnet and that works real well. 2 x 100w panels. Plenty enough for my needs ,running a fridge and lots batteries to recharge for cameras, torches, drone etc. That said I think it may be possible to recharge via the roof outlets if power switch and relevant auxiliary switch are on. I am not sure on cable sizing so not sure that the roof outlet wiring is substantial enough for the charging current.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:22 PM
Reaction score
Sorry mate I haven't used the roof outlet Deutsch plugs for charging via solar. I use suitcase style solar panels with inbuilt mppt controllers via the jump start post under the bonnet and that works real well. 2 x 100w panels. Plenty enough for my needs ,running a fridge and lots batteries to recharge for cameras, torches, drone etc. That said I think it may be possible to recharge via the roof outlets if power switch and relevant auxiliary switch are on. I am not sure on cable sizing so not sure that the roof outlet wiring is substantial enough for the charging current.
My bad

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum and there is a wealth of information. I am learning a lot while still waiting for the delivery.

I have searched the forum however don't seem to find a definitive answer as per the subject title.

i.e Can we charge the batteries (or perhaps only the auxiliary battery) via one of the Deutsch plugs on the roof (outlet) WITHOUT any re-wiring, provided the solar panel / blanket has its own MPPT controller?

Cheers,
Andersen
Anderson

There are two rooftop circuits, but 4 plugs, with the INEOS high aux option. On a RHD vehicle the outlet above the driver's side is one 25 amp circuit (EXT2), the remaining three rooftop plugs share the second circuit (EXT3). I would choose the single plug circuit to convert. If you convert the second circuit it impacts 3 of your rooftop plugs.

I had XHQ run a separate cable from the passenger side roof plug down the passenger B pillar to the CTEK 250SE solar inputs which I had mated to the CTEK 120S. Others have used a Victron solar controller. I also had a red Anderson plug installed on the car's rear with a grey Anderson plug. I can also plug in a solar blanket into the 250SE's solar inputs (just don't exceed the CTEK's 250SE solar specs).

I decided against touching the existing rooftop circuits, as it is not straight forward. For example, my setup does not have a switch, fuse and relay like EXT2 and EXT3. If the solar panel is plugged in it works if the sun is out. My rooftop cable has an Anderson plug on the rooftop end, as does my solar panel. I have thicker cables in my solar setup, than what the INEOS rooftop circuit use.

There are pictures of people installing similar cables on the forum. If I find the link I will post it.

More information:
  1. Section 6 of the Rok Dr Guide has wiring information and images about EXT2 and EXT3.
  2. Thread on the CTEK 120S and 250SE here.
  3. Thread on my solar panels setup and performance here (lots of graphs).
  4. Your shopping list here and here :) .
  5. Tell us about your IG journey here.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you everyone!

LogSplitter - I did indeed come across your post of using the jump start terminal. A great workaround.

DocAus - bloody awesome, thanks for all the the information. It was perhaps wishfully thinking that it could be a simple plug and play. But indeed given the considerations around cable size, switches, fuse and relay of the existing roof circuits, I can see why the addition of a DC to DC charger / controller is preferred.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you everyone!

LogSplitter - I did indeed come across your post of using the jump start terminal. A great workaround.

DocAus - bloody awesome, thanks for all the the information. It was perhaps wishfully thinking that it could be a simple plug and play. But indeed given the considerations around cable size, switches, fuse and relay of the existing roof circuits, I can see why the addition of a DC to DC charger / controller is preferred.
I can confirm my setup is working well.

No problems so far and the solar panel is keeping both batteries topped up if I do not drive.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Btw, let your nephew know the Kickass suitcase solar panel setup is excellent.
I know, as I own the KickAss 160W solar blanket, which made that KickAss BB even more enticing. So I took the BB over to him.

He can borrow my solar blanket.

I still need to upgrade one of the cig sockets on the KickAss BB to a QC3 socket. I did that exact thing on my BB today.
71X5jjZ1XVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom