The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

So where are all the first impressions? (right here)

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:31 PM
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice travel log.
Just für the power in the cubbybox, I have the same issue with the power can’t be switched on with ignition switched off. The rear sockets work with the power switch on.
Others reported the same problem but one forum member said that his sockets all work…
Im hoping it is a simple unplug and swap cables somewhere in the loom.
I am sure it is incorrect and all internal power sockets should stay live when ignition off but switched on.
At some point i need to check the fuses to each socket / outlet to understand what is going on.
Hopefully in on Friday for software update.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:31 PM
Reaction score
I have just checked the sockets again. Maybe some people are talking about different things.
Only the external USB sockets behind the box are live when the switch is on, the USB sockets in the box are not.

However, the 12V socket in the box is live when the switch is on. The same applies to the 12V socket in the boot.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:31 PM
Reaction score
I have just checked the sockets again. Maybe some people are talking about different things.
Only the external USB sockets behind the box are live when the switch is on, the USB sockets in the box are not.

However, the 12V socket in the box is live when the switch is on. The same applies to the 12V socket in the boot.
Thanks for the clarification. I didn’t check the 12v socket. Just the usb ones as my voltmeter has been my phone with the charging cable.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:31 AM
Reaction score
I am sure it is incorrect and all internal power sockets should stay live when ignition off but switched on.
At some point i need to check the fuses to each socket / outlet to understand what is going on.
Great write up thanks Paul and photos are superb. Little jealous actually. Can you please keep us informed on how long it takes for replacement windscreen - guess any time delays might also be contributed to your insurance company but nevertheless,... cheers

Local time
Reaction score
Do all dealers have the software patch Paul??

Reactions: PBD

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
12:31 PM
Reaction score
Review after 3 weeks of ownership, covering some 2,500 miles, across 5 countries (UK, France, Switzerland, Germany, Italy), over peaks of 2,200m high and over some pretty rough steep terrain, whilst towing a 1.7 ton expedition trailer.
I got the chance to weigh the car and trailer (both fully loaded) on a weigh bridge and it came in at 4,700kg.
This was generally the laden weight for the whole journey although the trailer carries 130 litres of water and a declining wine store might have lowered it on parts of the journey, but that was generally the norm.

I would firstly start by saying the vehicle overall, is everything it should be and more, and i am delighted with it.
My normal drive would have been in a modified 110 Defender and it would beat it by a country mile.
Motorway driving at 70 mph is a dream and i would compare it to towing with my Disco 4, effortless.
Acceleration, particularly between 40mph and 70mph, even up long inclines, is impressive.
A well balanced load just sits behind and is easy to forget it is there.
We towed in low ratio up some very steep, off road tracks, gravel and mud, to peaks of over 2,200m effortlessly. So effortlessly i only locked the centre diff a few times and had no need to lock the front or rear.
The torque in the 3LT diesel, power distribution, grip is just superb for a heavy vehicle.
I have the the 18” BFG AT’s and would consider my usual BFG MT’s if going into muddier conditions.
Putting the box from high to low and to diff lock and off became less stiff and assume like most things, it improved with use.
A lot has been made of the steering and foot rest positioning but in my experience it is a total non issue, even over long distances.
The seating is generally extremely comfortable although the only thing i would criticise it on is not having an adjustable lumbar support. On some days we covered some 500 miles and it is only on these trips would i say i would have liked more support.
Our overall fuel consumption on the whole trip was 20.2 mpg (uk gallons) or 14.1 litres per 100km. I would stress the load and terrain we covered would have severely hampered this and will be monitoring it over more normal conditions.
Ad blue consumption was probably about 8 to 10 litres but didn’t monitor properly.

On to some of the not so good points which are generally all electrical glitches: -

Twice it failed to select reverse and once drive after stopping into park. Both times it corrected after switching off and on again.
Whilst the expedition trailer has P/V charging, I would normally charge the 2 x 100 amp lithium iron batteries on the road through a DC/DC charger at a rate of 30 A/H, powered from the car. The NATO hitch plug should do this easily and whilst i could get it to engage and charge a few times, it generally after a short time travelling clicked out the relay and showed the fault of “power socket shutdown” - very annoying!
The apple car play disengaged for no reason on a number of occasions. A few times i was able to reconnect but at least twice i had to delete the device and reconnect. It doesn’t like the connected device to walk away from the car whilst connected.
The parking sensors have a mind of their own and i got into the habit of switching them off before i set off.
The seat belt warnings on occasions kept going despite the two occupied front seat belts done up and even the empty rears done up. Again having to switch ignition off and on to solve. Off road button didn’t resolve the seat belt warning either.
Trailer light fault warning was virtually continuous despite the lights testing fine.
The drivers air bag sign is constantly on and not sure what this means. Really need to look into this a little more.
TPMS, climate control, power steering, gearbox in N despite in D, and numerous other warnings were pretty much continuous.
The power “on” switch in the overhead panel only leaves the rear seat plugs live and not the front cubby box whilst car switched off. I need to look into this as i think this is wrong.
The altimeter and compass are unreliable.

One point i would make is having been back for a few days i have not had a single warning up??

The steering wheel is probably 4 or 5 degrees off centre, to the right.
One of the rubber roof bars was missing on hand over.
Still not got the roof rack or rear table.

Oh and one further point being i managed to crack the windscreen. Will be interesting to ring my insurance company to find out how long it will take them to get a new screen.

Still love the car and will continue to rave about it, hoping the next software update will solve the above issues.

A couple of photos: -
View attachment 7815261
View attachment 7815262
Photo contest!

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do all dealers have the software patch Paul??
I don't know.
Only got back yesterday but spoke to the dealer giving the same feedback and they are talking to IA in the morning.
They provisionally booked up the update some 2 weeks ago with me so i suspect it has been around for a little while.
I will ask them the question when i speak to them tomorrow.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Review after 3 weeks of ownership, covering some 2,500 miles, across 5 countries (UK, France, Switzerland, Germany, Italy), over peaks of 2,200m high and over some pretty rough steep terrain, whilst towing a 1.7 ton expedition trailer.
I got the chance to weigh the car and trailer (both fully loaded) on a weigh bridge and it came in at 4,700kg.
This was generally the laden weight for the whole journey although the trailer carries 130 litres of water and a declining wine store might have lowered it on parts of the journey, but that was generally the norm.

I would firstly start by saying the vehicle overall, is everything it should be and more, and i am delighted with it.
My normal drive would have been in a modified 110 Defender and it would beat it by a country mile.
Motorway driving at 70 mph is a dream and i would compare it to towing with my Disco 4, effortless.
Acceleration, particularly between 40mph and 70mph, even up long inclines, is impressive.
A well balanced load just sits behind and is easy to forget it is there.
We towed in low ratio up some very steep, off road tracks, gravel and mud, to peaks of over 2,200m effortlessly. So effortlessly i only locked the centre diff a few times and had no need to lock the front or rear.
The torque in the 3LT diesel, power distribution, grip is just superb for a heavy vehicle.
I have the the 18” BFG AT’s and would consider my usual BFG MT’s if going into muddier conditions.
Putting the box from high to low and to diff lock and off became less stiff and assume like most things, it improved with use.
A lot has been made of the steering and foot rest positioning but in my experience it is a total non issue, even over long distances.
The seating is generally extremely comfortable although the only thing i would criticise it on is not having an adjustable lumbar support. On some days we covered some 500 miles and it is only on these trips would i say i would have liked more support.
Our overall fuel consumption on the whole trip was 20.2 mpg (uk gallons) or 14.1 litres per 100km. I would stress the load and terrain we covered would have severely hampered this and will be monitoring it over more normal conditions.
Ad blue consumption was probably about 8 to 10 litres but didn’t monitor properly.

On to some of the not so good points which are generally all electrical glitches: -

Twice it failed to select reverse and once drive after stopping into park. Both times it corrected after switching off and on again.
Whilst the expedition trailer has P/V charging, I would normally charge the 2 x 100 amp lithium iron batteries on the road through a DC/DC charger at a rate of 30 A/H, powered from the car. The NATO hitch plug should do this easily and whilst i could get it to engage and charge a few times, it generally after a short time travelling clicked out the relay and showed the fault of “power socket shutdown” - very annoying!
The apple car play disengaged for no reason on a number of occasions. A few times i was able to reconnect but at least twice i had to delete the device and reconnect. It doesn’t like the connected device to walk away from the car whilst connected.
The parking sensors have a mind of their own and i got into the habit of switching them off before i set off.
The seat belt warnings on occasions kept going despite the two occupied front seat belts done up and even the empty rears done up. Again having to switch ignition off and on to solve. Off road button didn’t resolve the seat belt warning either.
Trailer light fault warning was virtually continuous despite the lights testing fine.
The drivers air bag sign is constantly on and not sure what this means. Really need to look into this a little more.
TPMS, climate control, power steering, gearbox in N despite in D, and numerous other warnings were pretty much continuous.
The power “on” switch in the overhead panel only leaves the rear seat plugs live and not the front cubby box whilst car switched off. I need to look into this as i think this is wrong.
The altimeter and compass are unreliable.

One point i would make is having been back for a few days i have not had a single warning up??

Still not got the roof rack or rear table.

Oh and one further point being i managed to crack the windscreen. Will be interesting to ring my insurance company to find out how long it will take them to get a new screen.

Still love the car and will continue to rave about it, hoping the next software update will solve the above issues.

A couple of photos: -
View attachment 7815261
View attachment 7815262
Really good and interesting feedback. Looking forward to reading more and to seeing if the windscreen replacement beats the nine months my friend had to wait for his Defender.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Really good and interesting feedback. Looking forward to reading more and to seeing if the windscreen replacement beats the nine months my friend had to wait for his Defender.
and for I.A. to keep to their promise which is mighty important and definite marketing feature... 'We know that customers depending on their Grenadier can’t afford costly downtime. So we are aiming for 24-hr parts delivery in major markets, thanks to a central logistics centre, regional hubs and logistics partners.'

Local time
Reaction score
The 12v sockets shutting down in the cubby is standard on all vehicles to protect the starter battery. The rest of the 12V sockets, boot etc, will likely be on a different circuit and powered by the aux battery.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just für the power in the cubbybox, I have the same issue with the power can’t be switched on with ignition switched off. The rear sockets work with the power switch on.
Others reported the same problem but one forum member said that his sockets all work…
I fear that may have been me, and I later corrected (added a new post) that I was only talking about the 12v socket, not the USBs. Apologies again if it was. 😳

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don't know.
Only got back yesterday but spoke to the dealer giving the same feedback and they are talking to IA in the morning.
They provisionally booked up the update some 2 weeks ago with me so i suspect it has been around for a little while.
I will ask them the question when i speak to them tomorrow.
Interesting in that this is the first time on the forum I've seen anyone suggest it's available now, never mind two weeks ago.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The NATO hitch plug should do this easily and whilst i could get it to engage and charge a few times, it generally after a short time travelling clicked out the relay and showed the fault of “power socket shutdown” - very annoying!
Getting the socket to work at all is a plus. I take it you have the integrated winch fitted?

Seems there's a few reporting g this, always to the right if I recall.

The 4 main longitudinal strips?
If so, do you have a photo? Interested to see the fixings.

Oh and one further point being i managed to crack the windscreen.
The wording maybe suggests driver error, can you expand ~ looking to rule out thin/fragile/stressed glass as seems to be the case with new Defender.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The wording maybe suggests driver error, can you expand ~ looking to rule out thin/fragile/stressed glass as seems to be the case with new Defender.
I recall one of the Scotland reviews remarking on the reported thickness of the front screen. Something outrageous like 10mm?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The 12v sockets shutting down in the cubby is standard on all vehicles to protect the starter battery.
Yes under normal shutdown and keys out of ignition, but using the power on switch should be an full override I would have thought?
The rest of the 12V sockets, boot etc, will likely be on a different circuit and powered by the aux battery.
I'm not seeing that in my wiring setup, or from what I can garner with regard to the operating philosophy.

The auxiliary is only connected to the Smartpass. So there's only two outlets:

1. Via the Smartpass output terminal ~ left empty from the factory; and
2. Via the Smartpass internal connections ~ so that's pulse charging the starter, and linking when needed to crank the starter motor.

Obviously, owner's can add a third connection by wiring directly off the auxiliary.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I recall one of the Scotland reviews remarking on the reported thickness of the front screen. Something outrageous like 10mm?
I hope not, that huge. 😬

The edges are all exposed, which is an area of *slight* concern for me. I'm no glass expert but thought the edges were the weakest parts.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One thing I hope with any software "updates", is that there's some detailed notes to accompany them to describe/explain the changes being made.

I may be pissing into the wind...

Local time
Reaction score
Yes under normal shutdown and keys out of ignition, but using the power on switch should be an full override I would have thought?
My thinking is the overhead power switch is there to conveniently control accessory loads such as a 12V fridge or a small inverter plugged into the boot cig socket, or say a power brick charging in the USB-C socket behind the cubby. If you want to kill all these loads because the aux battery is low or you just want to conserve it then kill the overhead switch. These outlets should only be running from the aux battery, the Smartpass's job ( or one of them anyway ) is to isolate and protect the starter battery as it's mission critical.
Ineos may have set things up differently but that's how it should be done.

The outlets inside the cubby should be ignition controlled only, which is common practice for 12V outlets in the front cabin area of all makes of vehicle. This is done so that any devices such as a GPS on the dash conveniently auto powers up on engine start and then powers down on engine stop to protect the starter.

Back
Top Bottom