The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Snagging Issues at 500 miles

G-Man

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Newbie Diesel Fieldmaster owner here but decades of experience driving quirky LR Defenders, Series III's and Wranglers. It's a fantastic truck, built like a tank and exactly what I hoped it would be, definitely a keeper.

Nevertheless it's a 'charismatic' vehicle with a few snagging issues which I'll be taking up with my local service centre and I've shortlisted here. I've searched them up on the forum and they all fit common topics but I don't see any definitive DIY fixes, though I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

I expect 'they all do that, you get used to it' would be the consensus, but if anyone has prior experience and some advice on quick checks/fixes I can perform myself then I'd be very grateful, thanks.

Snagging Issues.jpg

PS: My tyres are inflated to 36psi cold which makes a vast improvement compared to the way the truck handled at 42psi on my drive home from the dealer :)(y)

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Newbie Diesel Fieldmaster owner here but decades of experience driving quirky LR Defenders, Series III's and Wranglers. It's a fantastic truck, built like a tank and exactly what I hoped it would be, definitely a keeper.

Nevertheless it's a 'charismatic' vehicle with a few snagging issues which I'll be taking up with my local service centre and I've shortlisted here. I've searched them up on the forum and they all fit common topics but I don't see any definitive DIY fixes, though I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

I expect 'they all do that, you get used to it' would be the consensus, but if anyone has prior experience and some advice on quick checks/fixes I can perform myself then I'd be very grateful, thanks.

View attachment 7859983

PS: My tyres are inflated to 36psi cold which makes a vast improvement compared to the way the truck handled at 42psi on my drive home from the dealer :)(y)
HVAC that you reported is normal for some and ok for others. It’s an ongoing issue and Ineos don’t know why. I had mine accidentally fixed by having the software reset by the dealer.

Point 2. Might be worth resetting the infotainment system by pressing the mute button for 30 seconds.

Point 3. Vibration between 1800 and 2000 rpm is normal especially noticeable at 63 mph to 65 mph going up hill. Also vibration at idle (in gear, brakes off). The root cause I believe is the engine mounts. The vibration will cause the heat shields to vibrate around the exhaust area, the side of the fuel tank, and airbox. Vibration can be improved by adjusting heat shields but not totally eliminated. Need to fix the root cause first whatever it is.

Point 4. There is a certain degree of slackness or tolerance in the steering dead centre. It can be improved by alignment and trial and error. Many alignment centres don’t understand how to adjust but will put it on a machine and say it’s within manufacturers spec. There is play in the steering box, it’s about finding the centre of it by adjusting the drag link.

G-Man

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
HVAC that you reported is normal for some and ok for others. It’s an ongoing issue and Ineos don’t know why. I had mine accidentally fixed by having the software reset by the dealer.

Point 2. Might be worth resetting the infotainment system by pressing the mute button for 30 seconds.

Point 3. Vibration between 1800 and 2000 rpm is normal especially noticeable at 63 mph to 65 mph going up hill. Also vibration at idle (in gear, brakes off). The root cause I believe is the engine mounts. The vibration will cause the heat shields to vibrate around the exhaust area, the side of the fuel tank, and airbox. Vibration can be improved by adjusting heat shields but not totally eliminated. Need to fix the root cause first whatever it is.

Point 4. There is a certain degree of slackness or tolerance in the steering dead centre. It can be improved by alignment and trial and error. Many alignment centres don’t understand how to adjust but will put it on a machine and say it’s within manufacturers spec. There is play in the steering box, it’s about finding the centre of it by adjusting the drag link.
Thanks Skydance,

Great tips! I will try the infotainment reset before I head home tonight.

I'm going to ask the service centre to check the steering at the same time as they look at the HVAC, but it doesn't feel like a caster/camber thing. On a good road the vehicle tracks dead straight with no bump-steer, but as it has a heavy live front axle it naturally follows the contours and camber of narrow country roads and the slackness at centre doesn't help when making micro adjustments. Hopefully some of it can be dialed out.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

View attachment 7859983

On point 2, having you tried rescanning the stations?
On point 4, resist the temptation to micro adjust the steering. Just hold it straight. Plenty of threads on here about the steering!

Back
Top Bottom