The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Side panels and gas cans?

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:28 PM
Reaction score
I’ve seen photos of using side panels over the back windows to carry spare water and fuel. I’m in Texas and hope to have something in a week. What panels and cans are available? Or are there cans that can attach directly to the utility rails? Goi g camping and want to have some backup fuel.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
So far, products come from Australia (need Molle Panel plus tank) and Europe (link from AU site). I suspect a US suppler will emerge. I have seen discussion of a fuel bladder from the US on the forum somewhere. Other owners may know of a US source.

If you have a roofrack, a jerry can is an option.

Last edited:

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So far, products come from Australia (need Molle Panel plus tank) and Europe (link from AU site). I suspect a US suppler will emerge. I have seen discussion of fuel bladder from the US on the forum somewhere. Other onwers may know of a US source.

I may order a couple Jerry cans was hoping they could mount on the sides

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:28 PM
Reaction score
I have Bison-Gear molle panels and NATO Jerry can holders. IF you order from them, check the currency conversion, as selecting EUR vs USD may save you some money. @FlyingTexan

1000009165.jpg

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:28 PM
Reaction score
I'm hoping to find cans that can mount as high as possible on a rear drivers' side window molle panel.

Can anyone comment from experience with cans that descend to the bottom of the window level ... what's rear visibility like thru the side mirror? If the cans are as high as possible, I feel like useful visibility will be maintained "below" the cans. 🤷‍♂️

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm hoping to find cans that can mount as high as possible on a rear drivers' side window molle panel.

Can anyone comment from experience with cans that descend to the bottom of the window level ... what's rear visibility like thru the side mirror? If the cans are as high as possible, I feel like useful visibility will be maintained "below" the cans. 🤷‍♂️
The XHQ 30 litre and 20 litre fuel tanks give good visibility below the fuel tank using the standard mirrors. I have a 30 litre tank mounted on each side. The 20 litre tank is smaller, so it should have good visibility as well.

The European fuel tanks are not as wide, so they should maintain good viability with standard mirrors.

The XHQ 20 litre jerry holder can mounted on the Molle panel, but it does not give as good viability (based on what Ronny Dahl says in one of his videos). He had the single pantry mounted on that side as well.

EDIT: RHD car. Looking at the driver's side mirror, the 30 litre diesel tank does obstruct the top left of the mirror - where there are no cars at anytime, you can still see the critical parts of the mirror to identify cars.

Last edited:

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The SLRV option is the way to go.
They’ll ship to the USA from Australia. Would likely be expensive, but the product is quality and with the exchange rate of USD to AUD Being 1.5, you get a lot of value for your money.
Give SLRV a call, and ask for Warwick. He’ll set you up.

https://expeditionhq.com.au/product/xspec-xframes-30l-diesel-tank-transfer-pump-combo/

I’ve got the X-Spec panel and 30L tank mounted on my fuel filler side, and Maxtrax on the other.
I’ll add another 30L tank to the passenger side, and chuck the maxtrax up on my roof rack for extra long range on desert trips which will extend my fuel range to 150L total. Not too shabby.

For anyone concerned with visibility, it sits higher than a normal Jerry profile, so the rear viz isn’t obstructed. I don’t even see it any more when I drive. And this is with a truck full of gear rendering my rear view useless. Relying entirely on side view mirrors for all forms driving, forward and reverse.

And anyone concerned with the load capacity of the grab bar and utility belt combined with 60+ pounds of dynamic load hanging off the side…
I have zero issues with it. The whole system is rock solid. I’d comfortably put more weight on it.
The panels are one piece, laser cut 1/4 inch aluminium to save weight, but they’re stout. Fastened with stainless steel bolts, and mounting points on 4 corners they’re not going anywhere. The rotopax style plastic mating system would be my only point of concern as far as a failure, as it’s the weakest link.
It over time could weaken and crack allowing the weight of the fuel tank to separate from the metal panel… it’s a big maybe. And I mitigate it by removing the tank and storing the parts in my garage when I don’t need it for extended range.

All up the whole package of both panels and a tank cost me $1600 Aud. The price has gone up by 20% in recent months. Probably due to popularity of the products. Again the currency conversion rate coming from the US would make it tolerable. Especially if they’re charging an arm and a leg to ship it.

Attachments

• 5015D8E4-631B-415F-8ECF-306FE0DD9BBA.jpeg
    5015D8E4-631B-415F-8ECF-306FE0DD9BBA.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 41CF8504-3FB4-4496-8795-BAE66D7DBF82.jpeg
    41CF8504-3FB4-4496-8795-BAE66D7DBF82.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2118.jpeg
    IMG_2118.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
Local time
Reaction score
Hanging stuff off the side of your truck =‘s damage when off camber. There’s a reason why off-road suvs have a taper. This is like the “two spare tire” fad of 2014. Two Jerry’s on the rear, best. Roof second, and, if you’re ripping out the interior for a platform, and dive a diesel, inside is awesome in third world countries. If you’re in the US, the land of fuel stations, and you’re driving down the highway with two gas can’s bolted to the side window…. There needs to be therapy group for people that just buy shit and you need to join it. I guarantee your house is littered with useless crap you thought looked cool.

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hanging stuff off the side of your truck =‘s damage when off camber. There’s a reason why off-road suvs have a taper. This is like the “two spare tire” fad of 2014. Two Jerry’s on the rear, best. Roof second, and, if you’re ripping out the interior for a platform, and dive a diesel, inside is awesome in third world countries. If you’re in the US, the land of fuel stations, and you’re driving down the highway with two gas can’s bolted to the side window…. There needs to be therapy group for people that just buy shit and you need to join it. I guarantee your house is littered with useless crap you thought looked cool.
Ok, don’t buy it. No one is holding a gun to your head.
I’ve found my setup to be functional and necessary.
But that’s why I moved from the land of the gas station to a place that actually justifies having equipment to get more remote.
With your logic, owning a grenadier in America is merely just an ego flex.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Hey @Zimm
I tend to agree it’s an expensive option and I’d rather put jerries on the roof for the times I really need to carry extra fuel, but after a response like that old mate, I think you should take a couple of chill pills and have a little lie down for a while. We’re all friends here after all.

Last edited:

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m good…
If anyone else here has a problem with
My measured response to zimm’s blatant badgering; I.e.
“There needs to be therapy group for people that just buy shit and you need to join it. I guarantee your house is littered with useless crap you thought looked cool.”
Then this place clearly isn’t the right place for me.
I’ll happily move on.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@LeftCoastOverland Zimm has plenty of snarky, opinionated posts throughout the forum. I take many of them with a “grain of salt”. He was a bit over the top with his comment for sure.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m good…
If anyone else here has a problem with
My measured response to zimm’s blatant badgering; I.e.
“There needs to be therapy group for people that just buy shit and you need to join it. I guarantee your house is littered with useless crap you thought looked cool.”
Then this place clearly isn’t the right place for me.
I’ll happily move on.
No need, just use the ignore feature.

Last edited:

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So far, products come from Australia (need Molle Panel plus tank) and Europe (link from AU site). I suspect a US suppler will emerge. I have seen discussion of a fuel bladder from the US on the forum somewhere. Other owners may know of a US source.

Yes, keep an eye out on Leitner Designs, I understand they’re close to release.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You realize some people do things based on the situation. I’d like to mount a couple cans because the first camp spot is two hours away from the cabin we start at and I have range doubts about being able to play the next day and eventually find a station. Then, magically, I’d walk over and take them off.

Back
Top Bottom