The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Roof top Tents

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:34 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a roof top tent (tent box lite 2) on top of the Rhino roof rails?

I’m having difficulty finding fixings to attach my tent box to the Rhino cross bars because the width of the roof rails are too wide for the brackets included for the tent box.

Need some kind of tent box brackets for the T slots.

Does anyone have any suggestions. Thank you

Dus10R

Production/Transit
Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
Been debating the Roof top tent but I think I've talked myself out of it. But It depended on the Mfg as to how they mounted. Some required just Cross Bars and some required at least a half rack system.

I talked my self out of it after realizing once you set it up you're stuck. You can't drive the vehicle anywhere until you take it all down again. And if there's an emergency and you have the tent up then you have to take it down before you can leave for your emergency. So now I'm thinking of not doing it.

~D

bamanuke

Production/Transit
Local time
8:34 AM
Reaction score
Been debating the Roof top tent but I think I've talked myself out of it. But It depended on the Mfg as to how they mounted. Some required just Cross Bars and some required at least a half rack system.

I talked my self out of it after realizing once you set it up you're stuck. You can't drive the vehicle anywhere until you take it all down again. And if there's an emergency and you have the tent up then you have to take it down before you can leave for your emergency. So now I'm thinking of not doing it.

~D
5 minutes with a hardshell. quite a bit longer with a softshell. cut the 5 minutes in half with two people

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is what you need.

Recon -Deck Pioneer Roof Top Tent Bracket Kit

I think Front Runner makes one with quick release fittings that also may fit.
This is what you need.

Recon -Deck Pioneer Roof Top Tent Bracket Kit

I think Front Runner makes one with quick release fittings that also may fit.

I have discovered that Rhino Rack make tent box kit bracket for the Reconn bars. Not the ones above (they are for racks). They attach onto the side of the bars and good price.

Unfortunately they don’t send to the UK.

I have considered the Front runner brackets but I’m concerned that the T bolts on the front runner isn’t wide enough for the Rhino bars. I don’t want risk buying and it doesn’t fit.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:34 AM
Reaction score
You can get replacement Rhino hardware. You have to search for it, but I bought the hardware only for a Jerry can kit to mount my homemade light mount. I think it was $20 from eTrailer.com

IMG_7243.jpeg

UncleBuck

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:34 AM
Reaction score
I have our iKamper on the factory load bars, which are the Rhino Rack bars. I had to modify the standard iKamper mounting hardware to accommodate the lager bars, but it all worked out. We drove the Grennay from Ohio to Maine and back with no problems what so ever.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

~D
I've got a square drop trailer, another trailer with a tent and its paraphernalia as well as a roof top tent.

The conventional tent and all the kit takes ages to set up so is best for a stay of several nights

The square drop is ready instantly of course, so works well if you are touring doing a night here and a couple of nights there.

The roof top tent (I have a soft one) is somewhere in-between. It takes about 15 minutes to setup so ideal for short stays. Yes, it does tie the vehicle up, so if you run out of beer it's a problem. Somehow less hassle than pulling around a trailer.

Back
Top Bottom