The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Roof top Tents

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a roof top tent (tent box lite 2) on top of the Rhino roof rails?

I’m having difficulty finding fixings to attach my tent box to the Rhino cross bars because the width of the roof rails are too wide for the brackets included for the tent box.

Need some kind of tent box brackets for the T slots.

Does anyone have any suggestions. Thank you

Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
Been debating the Roof top tent but I think I've talked myself out of it. But It depended on the Mfg as to how they mounted. Some required just Cross Bars and some required at least a half rack system.

I talked my self out of it after realizing once you set it up you're stuck. You can't drive the vehicle anywhere until you take it all down again. And if there's an emergency and you have the tent up then you have to take it down before you can leave for your emergency. So now I'm thinking of not doing it.

~D

Local time
10:21 PM
Reaction score
Been debating the Roof top tent but I think I've talked myself out of it. But It depended on the Mfg as to how they mounted. Some required just Cross Bars and some required at least a half rack system.

I talked my self out of it after realizing once you set it up you're stuck. You can't drive the vehicle anywhere until you take it all down again. And if there's an emergency and you have the tent up then you have to take it down before you can leave for your emergency. So now I'm thinking of not doing it.

~D
5 minutes with a hardshell. quite a bit longer with a softshell. cut the 5 minutes in half with two people

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is what you need.

Recon -Deck Pioneer Roof Top Tent Bracket Kit

I think Front Runner makes one with quick release fittings that also may fit.
This is what you need.

Recon -Deck Pioneer Roof Top Tent Bracket Kit

I think Front Runner makes one with quick release fittings that also may fit.

I have discovered that Rhino Rack make tent box kit bracket for the Reconn bars. Not the ones above (they are for racks). They attach onto the side of the bars and good price.

Unfortunately they don’t send to the UK.

I have considered the Front runner brackets but I’m concerned that the T bolts on the front runner isn’t wide enough for the Rhino bars. I don’t want risk buying and it doesn’t fit.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
You can get replacement Rhino hardware. You have to search for it, but I bought the hardware only for a Jerry can kit to mount my homemade light mount. I think it was $20 from eTrailer.com

IMG_7243.jpeg

UncleBuck

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I have our iKamper on the factory load bars, which are the Rhino Rack bars. I had to modify the standard iKamper mounting hardware to accommodate the lager bars, but it all worked out. We drove the Grennay from Ohio to Maine and back with no problems what so ever.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

~D
I've got a square drop trailer, another trailer with a tent and its paraphernalia as well as a roof top tent.

The conventional tent and all the kit takes ages to set up so is best for a stay of several nights

The square drop is ready instantly of course, so works well if you are touring doing a night here and a couple of nights there.

The roof top tent (I have a soft one) is somewhere in-between. It takes about 15 minutes to setup so ideal for short stays. Yes, it does tie the vehicle up, so if you run out of beer it's a problem. Somehow less hassle than pulling around a trailer.

Jeremy Broadbent

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a roof top tent (tent box lite 2) on top of the Rhino roof rails?

I’m having difficulty finding fixings to attach my tent box to the Rhino cross bars because the width of the roof rails are too wide for the brackets included for the tent box.

Need some kind of tent box brackets for the T slots.

Does anyone have any suggestions. Thank you
Hi Skydance.

A solution. The universal bracket kit supplied with the Tentbox awning has a metal piece wide enough that could fit the Tentbox XL to to the Rhino rack. Therefore order an extra one of these or a separate one if you have not ordered an awning. I’ll probably email Tentbox to let them know. Jeremy

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Skydance.

A solution. The universal bracket kit supplied with the Tentbox awning has a metal piece wide enough that could fit the Tentbox XL to to the Rhino rack. Therefore order an extra one of these or a separate one if you have not ordered an awning. I’ll probably email Tentbox to let them know. Jeremy
Thanks for your suggestion. I’ve already purchased the rhino tent box brackets from Germany and will receiving them end of the month. I had to get some tower bolts and vortex strips anyway.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Wife and I were thinking do we go roof, or trailer... for now budget won't allow (just waiting as 2nd hand market is slowly falling).

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Wife and I were thinking do we go roof, or trailer... for now budget won't allow (just waiting as 2nd hand market is slowly falling).
Same regarding 2nd market, but not interested in a trailer. I’ll be looking for the lightest RTT that will fit my 6’4” height, and has good ventilation. Otherwise I’ll just buy a new FrontRunner.

Local time
9:21 PM
Reaction score
Completely depends on the tent and how they are mounted. For me, I'd rather drill through the cross bar and use exact custom cut length bolts than elevate my tent higher.

If I was to do any tent, I'd pic the Alu-Cab tent and NOT use a rack at all.

bikesandguitars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:21 PM
Reaction score
I’m not near my rig at the moment. I have the iKamper Mini and the Rhino Pioneer Platform. The spacing of the tent rails is a match for the spacing on the rack. You can just drop the tent on the rack and use a very long extension on a drill to tighten down the tent. However, I found it a little cumbersome to work under the rack so I bought the Rhino Rack roof top tent adapters and welded a small piece of round pipe tube to the rooftop tent adapters. Any welding shop can do the job for you. The round pipe matches up with the shape of the tent rails much better than the flat tent adapters.

Last edited:

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Just installed a TopOak tent and 270 awning. For the price I am very pleasantly surprised. Very well built. I used the Leitner crossbars and tent brackets.

Attachments

• IMG_6361.jpeg
    IMG_6361.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6399.jpeg
    IMG_6399.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom