The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Petrol/Gas Petrol B58 strange sound at idle

Andras

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:28 PM
Reaction score
Dear all, I’m proud owner of a petrol Trialmaster with 2500km on the odo. I do have a strange ticking sound from the engine at idle that I find disturbing. Went to the dealer who told me it could be a valve or a solenoid, but no worries it is all ok. Anyone having similar experience/noises?
Thank you, Andras

• Wow
Reactions: CB

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score
So this seems to be where the metallic clink sound emanates from...

The_Culprit.JPG

At the front end of the BMW fuel rail there's a(n) hexagonal boss and a sensor. On some vehicles the sound is barely noticeable and on some (ours) it can be quite distinct. I've been all over several engines listening to pulleys, belts, injectors, the fuel pump, up and down the valve cover, and as much of the exhaust manifold as I can reach and I only hear the sound right at this spot. Even on one vehicle where my old ears heard nothing when standing in front of the running engine (cover removed) I could still hear the rhythmic "tink-tink-tink" once I put a piece of 3/4" hose (19mm?) up to it. With the cover in place and the hood/bonnet closed it can sound a bit like it's coming from cylinder 1 or 2 through the oil pan. I don't think it is - at least not on our vehicle.

It's probably just as @CountyV8 says - the HPFP is stuffing the rail full of fuel in some manner that we can hear. I could be that it happens just after injector #1 fires which might reduce the pressure briefly followed the pressure spiking upwards again. The sound disappears quickly as RPM rises. Guessing further it may be slight manufacturing tolerances in the rail that require more or less torque being required to line up the sensor connector output with the electrical octopus just below. But hey, what do I know?

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom