The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

PDC/Park Distance Control, permanent warning when reversing

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:27 AM
Reaction score
I had my car at the agent for some issues to solve, one of which was the PDC sensor rear right. It produced a permanent alarm when reversing. When I got my car back after 10 days (there were more things to do), they told me the PDC problem was solved.

It isn't. When reversing the same shit happens again: alarm without any obstacle around the vehicle. 😡

Since I don't believe they are just morons, there must be a different reason. Perhaps the rear right PDC sensor is not broken and has never been - but it's actually a cable or a plug problem? A pinched cable or a wiggling plug, I don't know.

Next time I am there I will suggest not to replace the sensor but to swap the rear right sensor with the left one. If the problem then persists on the right side but no problem on the left side, it MUST be a problem in the wiring harness.

What do you think?

Anybody else having a similar problem with the PDC?
changed with ... obstacle to without ... obstacle

Last edited:

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:27 AM
Reaction score
I had my car at the agent for some issues to solve, one of which was the PDC sensor rear right. It produced a permanent alarm when reversing. When I got my car back after 10 days (there were more things to do), they told me the PDC problem was solved.

It isn't. When reversing the same shit happens again: alarm with any obstacle around the vehicle. 😡

Since I don't believe they are just morons, there must be a different reason. Perhaps the rear right PDC sensor is not broken and has never been - but it's actually a cable or a plug problem? A pinched cable or a wiggling plug, I don't know.

Next time I am there I will suggest not to repalce the sensor but to swap the rear right sensor with the left one. If the problem then persists on the right side but no problem oin the left side, it MUST be a problem in the wiring harness.

What do you think?

I have the same problem with the outer rear passenger side sensor. Particularly in wet weather or first thing in the morning. Once things dry out it’s OK. So I suspect a loose/bad connection or faulty sensor.

I will be contacting Magics in the next week or so once I get my camper trailer back from its service, it’s waiting on some warranty parts.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Paco Garcia

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

It isn't. When reversing the same shit happens again: alarm without any obstacle around the vehicle. 😡

Next time I am there I will suggest not to replace the sensor but to swap the rear right sensor with the left one. If the problem then persists on the right side but no problem on the left side, it MUST be a problem in the wiring harness.

What do you think?

Hello emax, have you checked if the alarm matches the proximity indication on the screen image, it could also be a software problem. Something similar happened to me randomly and with an update it was corrected.

Greetings
Paco Garcia

neuf11

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
. . . same here (over a year up to the first inspection) the right rear sensor of the PDC was faulty. Nearly always on in reverse (95 % of time), only in rainy wheather sometimes the sensor was alright.

After the Inspektion the PDC was okay for half an hour, I reversed to the workshop and suggested to exchange as wished the sensor or check the connections another time.

They changed the sensor (so I was told), up to now the PDC works for 6 days. Fingers crossed.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
have you checked if the alarm matches the proximity indication on the screen image,
It is not at all related to proximity, as it fires always when in reverse gear, even if there is no obstacle at all.

Place it in the middle of an empty Aldi parking area or of a football ground, it starts soon as you switch to reverse rear.

PS: The proximity image on the display always shows the closest possible distance.

neuf11

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is not at all related to proximity, as it fires always when in reverse gear, even if there is no obstacle at all.

Place it in the middle of an empty Aldi parking area or of a football ground, it starts soon as you switch to reverse rear.

PS: The proximity image on the display always shows the closest possible distance.

. . . I also had the same damage pattern. Sensor always red with display of the smallest distance, even if there was no obstacle to be seen far and wide.

After the workshop's first attempt, the distance was indicated correctly (e.g. green bar, then yellow), but the right rear sensor always also showed the red bar for the smallest distance, i.e. two bars in the display in this field.

After replacing the sensor, everything is now working as desired - for the time being :).

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:27 AM
Reaction score
just the sort of places where a child unexpectedly runs behind you 😉
I just assume the sound is a reminder to be cautious.
I have it turned the volume down and it doesn't bother me. Even though perhaps it should, my equanimous nature kicks in.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Like any repeated false positive this hast just the opposite effect: I dont't take it for serious any more like I would would do with a reliable signal. A real warning ist very different from some nanny noise.

It rather sounds like a strange idea to me that a cacophony of unreasoned signals could improve someone's awareness.

But interestingly you seem to have found a way to adjust the volume? Can you tell us more?

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
But interestingly you seem to have found how to adjust the volume? Can you tell us more?
When I fly home later today, if we are able to dodge gale force winds and rain in the dark, I'll try to find the intell.1000024588.jpg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Some things seem to be too simple to find them.

Thank you! (y)

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:27 AM
Reaction score
I had one of my intermittent rear sensors replaced today. There isn’t any pattern to it. Sometime it would keep going off (nothing behind me) and sometimes not. But more so in the wet or after a wash.

It was described to me that the connector or the back was showing small signs of corrosion.

All good now. Hopefully this has finally fixed it.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is still nagging.

Before just replacing something they should swap the left and right sensor to check for sensor vs. wiring issue.

Biggsy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

What do you think?

Same; rear driverside sensor is always on when in reverse, even with no obstacles close by. Requested sensor replacement at next service.

Back
Top Bottom