The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Only stock vehicle to complete the Baja 1000!

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:45 PM
Reaction score
A great video, and as he says, the only completely stock vehicle to drive there and complete it. Just not sure I'd want all that dust in my truck! 🫣 It did die the morning after, and so far the cause is not known.

This is why you bought an Ineos!

Watch the video here - Ineos Grenadier Baja 1000

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:45 PM
Reaction score
i saw that video, great stuff. would love to learn what the conclusion is on the car not starting the morning after.

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
i saw that video, great stuff. would love to learn what the conclusion is on the car not starting the morning after.
Yep, waiting with bated breath, but would assume it was fuel related as he suggested. Good tip he gave. Use a fuel/water separator in Mexico and other places where you buy gas roadside. They tend to bulk the liquid for more profit. Imagine the conversation when you separate a few pints of water 🤪

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Saw that vehicle at the Mossy Ineos in San Diego. That truck is absolutely wrecked!! All 4 shocks are blown, cracked windscreen from structural stress, gas tank skid dented in and could be causing the fuel issues, front left corner bumper crunched in, needs new cooler units, body work, headlight housing and new bumper, all 4 wheels were bent and out of round, and it now sits noticeably lower than another stock vehicle next to it. The biggest issue is it will no longer shift out of park and has a Christmas tree of lights on the dash. The mechanics were trying to move it out of the stall when I was there and it wouldn't go into reverse. So possible new transmission.

Probably close to a write off, as I can not imagine how many hours of labor and big $$$$ parts to get it back up and running. I truly felt bad for this brand new truck. And insurance won't touch it as it was being used in a "race".

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:45 PM
Reaction score
Saw that vehicle at the Mossy Ineos in San Diego. That truck is absolutely wrecked!! All 4 shocks are blown, cracked windscreen from structural stress, gas tank skid dented in and could be causing the fuel issues, front left corner bumper crunched in, needs new cooler units, body work, headlight housing and new bumper, all 4 wheels were bent and out of round, and it now sits noticeably lower than another stock vehicle next to it. The biggest issue is it will no longer shift out of park and has a Christmas tree of lights on the dash. The mechanics were trying to move it out of the stall when I was there and it wouldn't go into reverse. So possible new transmission.

Probably close to a write off, as I can not imagine how many hours of labor and big $$$$ parts to get it back up and running. I truly felt bad for this brand new truck. And insurance won't touch it as it was being used in a "race".
:oops:

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

MOFO! So I guess man initial excitement post is now replaced with, only use it for gentle stuff unless you have super rich and a $100K truck is just a disposable toy 👀

I must say I found washboard in Big Bend bone shaking, so I just drove nice and slow and did some weaving to flatten out the worst of it.

This is the other guy I enjoy watching. He seems to do some pretty great overloading in his Grenadier with good outcomes. - Ronny Dahl

Maybe he should have driven/dragged it into a remote alley in Mexico and watched it spontaneously combust, probably caused by an unsavory type of unknown origin, and then claimed on his insurance as a simple holiday trip. Note to self: Be careful what I put online from my GoPro 🙃

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I must say I found washboard in Big Bend bone shaking, so I just drove nice and slow and did some weaving to flatten out the worst of it.
How low was your tire pressure?

Reactions: Max

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
MOFO! So I guess man initial excitement post is now replaced with, only use it for gentle stuff unless you have super rich and a $100K truck is just a disposable toy 👀

This is the other guy I enjoy watching. He seems to do some pretty great overloading in his Grenadier with good outcomes. - Ronny Dahl

Maybe he should have driven/dragged it into a remote alley in Mexico and watch it spontaneously combust, probably caused by an unsavory type of unknown origin, and then claimed on his insurance as a simple holiday trip. Note to self: Be careful what I put online from my GoPro 🙃
Oh, exactly! Too bad he plastered it all over the web. LOL

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sheepishly hides and says "not low enough". 🫣 Maybe 35lbs. Hadn't chosen a mobile compressor so was unwilling to go too low.
35?! that's 1psi below street pressure :p

Big Bend is pretty comfy around 18psi

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
To be fair all the race teams destroy their vehicles in the Baja 1000 as well…. It’s more of an endurance race than anything with plans to completely thrash the trucks and rebuild them. Often times they’re so worked they don’t finish the race. No prize money, minimal sponsorship. Mostly bragging rights are the trophy.

If the grenadier lasted long enough to endure the course, then it’s a testament to the strength of the truck with the plan to either scrap it or rebuild it.

I’ll caveat all this with I’d never do this with my personal vehicle, unless I was made of money, and could readily get another replacement.
But at least one Guinea pig was willing to test it!

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Holy smokes! that was not the impression one got from the videos. sounds like quite a bit of serious offroad abuse was thrown its way.

I'm more of an adventurer than a racer so this doesn't really apply to me, but i like the idea of learning lessons from others.

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Holy smokes! that was not the impression one got from the videos. sounds like quite a bit of serious offroad abuse was thrown its way.

I'm more of an adventurer than a racer so this doesn't really apply to me, but i like the idea of learning lessons from others.
Yeah, the videos definitely put a different spin on it. It was running when I was there at Mossy they were trying to move it but couldn't.

Reactions: Max

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I was always taught that off road driving was "slow". Served me and many a Series and Defender well. To "destroy" a Grenadier you'd have to be going some and inflict some spectacular abuse on it. BUT, the fact it finished without incident, apart from other's backing into it, is indeed a testament to an unbelievable stock vehicle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom