The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Off Road Navigation 3rd party

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:51 AM
Reaction score
Did you order the heated seats? Is this an option for you? Ram make X-grip holders for tablet sized devices.
This is a good range also

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did you order the heated seats? Is this an option for you? Ram make X-grip holders for tablet sized devices.
That's a really 'neat' solution .(y) The vacant space offered by the absence of heated seat switches begs to be used!
One thought occurred to me... Are the retaining screws for the RAM mount secured solely to the plastic with a nut and washers on the other side, or do they connect with a metal substructure behind the panel... (was wondering about the dynamic forces from corrugations and the 'moment' on plastic panel attachment points from the weight of the tablet on the arm extension... :unsure:

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's a solid area.The M4 screws are into brass inserts.
It has been reported elsewhere (I think in the Aus FB group) that the centre stack panel is a single sealed unit. The screws around each switch are mostly aesthetic but some longer screws pass through to secure the panel to the dash structure.
I have posted on this before RAM Mount

Last edited:

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:51 PM
Reaction score
It's a solid area.The M4 screws are into brass inserts.
It has been reported elsewhere (I think in the Aus FB group) that the centre stack panel is a single sealed unit. The screws around each switch are mostly aesthetic but some longer screws pass through to secure the panel to the dash structure.
I have posted on this before RAM Mount
Yep, the entire panel is one piece, unfortunately.

I do like the Garmin Tread, even though I don't expect to Overland, could be a useful addition.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Still loving my Garmin Overlander, and since the INEOS Carplay GPS is basically useless, freezing all the time, I have actually found it essential even for city driving

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Still loving my Garmin Overlander, and since the INEOS Carplay GPS is basically useless, freezing all the time, I have actually found it essential even for city driving
Our CarPlay works as advertised, but the Garmin product does look to be superior. Will have a look at the Garmin Overlander against the Tread!

Reactions: CB

AWo

Local time
9:51 PM
Reaction score

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Our CarPlay works as advertised, but the Garmin product does look to be superior. Will have a look at the Garmin Overlander against the Tread!
Tread Overland basically combines the Overlander and a Garmin InReach satellite communicator. If you don’t already own a Garmin Explorer+ or InReach Mini and want that function then the tread is a handy two-devices-in-one. The latter devices are most helpful in wilderness or remote areas so if this is not so much your use case then the Overlander may be the go.

It could be that Garmin killed off Birds Eye satellite imagery in the Overlander, best check which map sources you actually get when you’re making your comparison.

21DFND

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I went for the Garmin Tread Overland 8". It's not too intrusive and can be mounted next to the steering wheel.
I was able to mount directly to the A pillar with a ram mount with M6 thread. this is were the grab handle is bolted.

Attachments

• IMG_2353.jpg
    IMG_2353.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2356.jpg
    IMG_2356.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2359.jpg
    IMG_2359.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 83

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:51 PM
Reaction score
I was able to mount directly to the A pillar with a ram mount with M6 thread. this is were the grab handle is bolted.
Were you able to re-fit the A pillar trim piece? I think it's there in photo 3 but it's hard to tell.

Local time
Reaction score
Apologize if this is a dumb question but I have a Garmin Instinct GPS watch synced to my iPhone with Garmin Explore app which shows your position on a topo map. Would that display on the CarPlay in the Garmin?

Local time
Reaction score
Apologize if this is a dumb question but I have a Garmin Instinct GPS watch synced to my iPhone with Garmin Explore app which shows your position on a topo map. Would that display on the CarPlay in the Garmin?
Off road I mean

GavinD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A couple of further inputs.

There are new players as well such as Newtracs for Australia
They have just released CarPlay support as well.

Also, latest apple upgrades to their phone and maps now support offline downloading, not necessarily recommending for off-road but for on-road trips with limited service this is good to know.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A couple of further inputs.

There are new players as well such as Newtracs for Australia
They have just released CarPlay support as well.

Also, latest apple upgrades to their phone and maps now support offline downloading, not necessarily recommending for off-road but for on-road trips with limited service this is good to know.
Yes, I think we’re going the ‘nuclear option’ and fix-mounting our StarLink. No more offline, at least in most circumstances/countries. Might need to stop though because I can’t see the business case for an in-motion solution.

Julian

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There are a few disparate threads on navigation systems and on pathfinder but I can’t find one devoted specifically to off road navigation systems so here it is. Stu if I’m wrong feel free to merge.

So I have been considering this for a while I use Waze happily on road through Carplay but no good when you lose mobile signal which is quickly in Australia outside of the main cities and routes.

Pathfinder is a cool feature but doesn’t help if you don’t have a map or someone whose been there before.

I have been using HEMA maps on an ipad for a long time and they are overall good, but my iPad is getting long in the tooth, has had a battery replaced, I don’t use it much for anything else anymore and dies from heat sitting on the dash in the sun.

So my options are.
- New iPAd - but not cheap and still dies in the sun.
- Cheaper generic Android tablet - an option but still likely heat impacted and I am not used to Android ecosystem and will likely have to buy new mounting stuff.
- HEMA hardware (HL-2 or 7) - a serious option Mid priced, but the reviews tend to the awful
- Garmin Overlander - uses HEMA maps, very rugged, heat and dust rated and Garmin just makes good gear. - also not cheap though and less versatile than an iPad. But you get what you pay for, also comes with suction mount and adapter for 3rd party ball mount systems. Also can load the files generated by pathfinder to it.

So in the end I have a Garmin Navigator coming for Fathers Day. 😄
Have you looked at OSMAND+ in the Google Play store? Offline maps, stored locally, no internet required except for initial downloading or updating. It does offline routing, displays contours (in either feet or meters), hillshading, GPX track logging, Wikipedia info about locations. Monthly map updates are free for anywhere in the world once you have purchased the + version. Maps are based on OpenStreetMap data, I think the contours come from the Shuttle SRTM datasets. All of Australia is about 4GB for maps, contours and hillshading. I use it all the time for local and holiday navigation and planning and trip logging on my Samsung S22 Ultra, hasn't let me down yet and I've been using it since about version 0.7 or thereabouts. Wouldn't contemplate a trip without it. Can't comment on Android Auto though as I haven't yet received my Grenadier. Sample of the area around Uluru attached hopefully to give a feelScreenshot_20231123_234240_OsmAnd+.jpg

Back
Top Bottom